Roland GA-212 Stereo Amp

Started by BenT, March 22, 2012, 02:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham G

Ok Steve.(i think your name is Steve,if not i apologise))i have read very,very many of your posts & do value your opinion & have learned a lot about VGuitar from you,so i'll have to just accept that it's my lack of playing ability,making me think the modelling sounds of the 80 are not as good as my 60 ;D,but i would just point out that Robs changed the game a bit,by re-housing the Amp & Speaker in seperate cabinets & also given the speaker more room to breath with a larger cab;(which may or may not help),but seriously i have only made a comparison at home & will reserve my final condemnation of the 80,till i try it at the band practice(i believe they're now called rehearsals :))on Friday

Quote from: Elantric on October 19, 2014, 01:55:36 AM
Depends on the player, click to hear the Cube80XL's capabilities

Elantric

I gave my old Cube 60 to the other guitar player in my surf band,

I needed more clean headroom for the styles I play:

Hear Cube 80XL  in action here: This is the "Blackpanel" (Fender Twin) setting' and a real '63 Fender Tube Reverb unit (between the guitar and the amp)  provides the reverb tone - same FX order as used in 1963.

aliensporebomb

Sounds legit to me.  Amazing how the jazzmaster you're playing is really the sound of surf guitar.  Yes, Dick Dale did it on a strat for years (left handed no less) but this sounds like all those old records to these ears.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Graham G

After reading about on-line prices in this thread,I have just searched around &  I can buy a new GA212 for a rock bottom blow out price.
Question for Elantric,it looks like in the signal path diagram,that if i connect a GT100 in the rear L/R main input,the Master Volume control for the power amp section is in operation,in other words you have control of the power amp gain,is this correct?.
You are probably aware :) that i'm dithering about a GT100 with 2 Cubes etc,this looks to me a like viable alternative,simple to use & set-up,especially at the close-out prices.But i do realise that you can't get a sound out of a Price ;D
Cheers,Graham.

Quote from: Elantric on October 08, 2014, 01:57:26 PM
I got to play thru the GA-212 today at Lunch

I paid $223+tax+shipping for a used GA-212 at MusiciansFriend - and after playing the amp for 30 minutes   - I'm very happy I did not pay any more ;)

Elantric

Yes the GA-212's Master Volume works when External Gear is connected via the rear Main A /B Inputs.

Elantric

I called Roland US today  for a quote on a replacement 12" Speaker for GA-212 -

Roland 12" Speaker  - Part Number# 510 002 8249  = $155.75 each (ouch!)

So I ordered one of these instead for $109: - with the goal of extending the frequency response of the GA-212  and use it as an "all in one - grab & go' stereo amp for VGuitar Synths

EMINENCE BETA 12CX 12 COAX WOOFER W ASD1001 HORN DRIVER

Elantric

I guess MF still has a boat load of these   :o

Look for a deep Black Friday Discount, and start reading this thread from the top for all reviews

vablows

That eminence Beta is what is in my Atomic CLR....but the crossover and enclosure is pure magic I guess.
Still completely amazing how my rig sounds the same on every PA when I "tune" my presets using the CLR at home.

Ed_Saxman

I paid $223+tax+shipping for a used GA-212 at MusiciansFriend - and after playing the amp for 30 minutes   - I'm very happy I did not pay any more ;)
If I had paid $1200 ( or $500) Id send it back for a full refund

The left 12" speaker on my used GA-212 example has a slight rattle/distortion at low volume, which I know is  indicative of the prior tester/owner playing way too loud and warping a voice coil, which is now dragging/scrapping  in the gap in the speaker magnet. Might be repairable without need to buy a replacement speaker from Roland.

Quote from: Elantric on October 30, 2014, 10:02:14 AM
I called Roland US today  for a quote on a replacement 12" Speaker for GA-212 -
Roland 12" Speaker  - Part Number# 510 002 8249  = $155.75 each (ouch!)
So I ordered one of these instead for $109: - with the goal of extending the frequency response of the GA-212  and use it as an "all in one - grab & go' stereo amp for VGuitar Synths
EMINENCE BETA 12CX 12 COAX WOOFER W ASD1001 HORN DRIVER

Therefore in this case there was not much advantage in buying a damaged unit, just a little cheaper, and having to spend $155 more to replace a speaker.

However, if your intention was to make a mod, then replace both speakers and put a pair of those Eminence Beta would make more sense.
I'm curious to know how they sound. Keep us informed!

- its a VERY COLD  / Brittle sounding amp all by itself.

I'm pretty surprised by this review, dude, as minimalist as hard. Mostly because it contradicts my own impressions of the amp, but also becouse it contradicts virtually all opinions that can be read online about it. In fact, much of comments in MF are including valuation "Good Warmth / Excellent Sound".
I think maybe your unit has more damaged components, not just the speaker. But it could also be a matter of personal taste, of course.

Elantric

QuoteHowever, if your intention was to make a mod, then replace both speakers and put a pair of those Eminence Beta would make more sense.

That was Always my Plan
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5581.msg90766#msg90766
QuoteI figure i can use the GA-212 as a foundation for mods For me the "All in one Stereo Amp" was the big attraction . . . .

I may just just stack my Kemper on top and use the GA-212 strictly as a stereo powered cab 

I'll run the Boss GP-10, GR-55 VG-99 and post my thoughts mid October 2014

QuoteI'm pretty surprised by this review, dude, as minimalist as hard. Mostly because it contradicts my own impressions of the amp, but also becouse it contradicts virtually all opinions that can be read online about it. In fact, much of comments in MF are including valuation "Good Warmth / Excellent Sound".
Suggest Read ALL the GA-212 Reviews from others  here:
( basically most report a mix of good / bad  - with some GA-212 owners who like the amp, and  others who hate the amp)

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5581.msg90782#msg90782

The clean sounds are quite nice, although I didn't feel they're as spacious and deep as a JC-120.

The distortion sounds are *dire*. Utter shite. It's impossible to get anything that isn't farty, flubby, muddy, hollow, thin, harsh or shrill - or some or all of those things at the same time. There's no real top-end at all, even with the treble and presence up full (it just becomes brash and hissy), and it has the typical nasty grating 'crushing glass' digital sound. No depth, no dynamics, and although it is somewhat touch-sensitive it's so fussy to set up you'll be fiddling with it for ages trying to get the right response to picking strength without the EQ sounding wrong the harder you play - let alone if you change pickups. I spent about 15 minutes and could not find one overdriven setting I would find usable.

So unless you need four programmable variations of clean sounds I would steer *well* clear. I can see why they've had to reduce the price, and even then I can't see them selling.

Quote. It is a modeler of sorts, but with it's own sound signature. To my ears, it is a bit too muffled with more than enough low end and not enough mids. You can get fairly close to a good tone by dropping the lows almost all the way out and kicking the mids way up. But, it still lacks something. T

QuoteVery fast attack on the front of the note. Cool, but it never goes away, so saggy saturation has been hard to find.

Tweak all dials on GA-212- but Its never going to sound as glassy and smooth as a Vox AC-30TB :

Ed_Saxman

Quote from: Elantric on October 31, 2014, 09:20:51 AM
Tweak all dials on GA-212- but Its never going to sound as smooth as one of these:

That looks like an AC30 or AC15, right?
I'm sure they are very good amps (they are also very expensive, especially the AC30), but personally I could not afford to maintain a tube amp. In fact I could not even buy it, if we talk about the AC30. And even if I could, I surely would buy the JC-120 instead.

Anyway, I think neither of those amps has a stereo line input.

Before buying this amp I had looked stereo powered cabinets, but there was nothing in the European market that I could buy, and the alternatives that exist in the US market do not have what I would call a reasonable price, in my point of view.

The main use I'm giving to this amp is to connect my digital pedalboard (POD HD500). I think in that regard both agreed it sounds great, so I'm happy with my purchase.

Sometimes I'm using the GA-212 in front of my studio monitors, and thus obtain a three-dimensional sound, using all of them at the same time connected to the HD500. As already mentioned above, I prefer the sound of POD coming through the amplifier, over my FRFR studio monitors. So now I think the concept of "full range" is not necessary when we talk about a guitar amp or cabinet.

By the way, I recently purchased 3 long cables to test the so-called 4CM, but in fact I do not even think I will use it often, because usually I have my Boss RC-300 Loopstation connected to the FX Loop of the HD500.

In summary, the Roland GA-212 is at least a magnificent stereo powered cab.
Although it may not be as good as traditional amp, depending on how your tastes are.

Elantric

I'm very happy with the resulting sound of feeding my GP-10, VG-99 or Kemper , or Fender Mustang Floor  into the GA-212 rear Main A ( Left) and Main B (Right) Power Amp inputs and use the stock Roland 12" Speakers  - works very well for Electric Guitar sounds

But for Acoustic and Synths tones -  HF Horns are required to extend the frequency range - which is my goal with the  EMINENCE BETA 12CX 12 COAX WOOFER W ASD1001 HORN DRIVER

If this same Coax speaker is good enough for the Atomic CLR - it also might work well in the GA-212 - just need to explore if i need to make more GA-212 mods , choose a crossover, and seal the back of GA-212 the cabinet
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/amps-cabs/60248-assembling-eminence-beta-12cx-print.html

My GA-212 @ $224 + shipping I'm happy with my purchase

Ed_Saxman

Quote from: Elantric on October 31, 2014, 11:01:14 AM
I'm very happy with the resulting sound of feeding my GP-10, VG-99 or Kemper , or Fender Mustang Floor  into the GA-212 rear Main A ( Left) and Main B (Right) Power Amp inputs and use the stock Roland 12" Speakers  - works very well for Electric Guitar sounds

And that really pleased me, sir!
Since I'm actually saxophonist, not a guitarist, I'm glad to know that my opinion in this sense coincides with someone whom I consider an expert in technologies relating to the guitar. Here's to you.

Quote from: Elantric on October 31, 2014, 11:01:14 AM
But for Acoustic and Synths tones -  HF Horns are required to extend the frequency range - which is my goal with the  EMINENCE BETA 12CX 12 COAX WOOFER W ASD1001 HORN DRIVER

If this same Coax speaker is good enough for the Atomic CLR - it also might work well in the GA-212 - just need to explore if i need to make more GA-212 mods and seal the back of GA-212 the cabinet

I find that very interesting!. I'll keep track of your progress, and if you get good results, maybe I'll do the same someday (especially if one of my speakers stop working).

Although my experience with synths so far is that I tried to connect my AKAI EWI 4000S both thru the front input of the amp as well as the rear line input, and I thought it sounded great. The GA-212 does not have as good deep-bass response as my studio monitors, that's true, but keep in mind that the EWI is an instrument with 8 octaves. However, I did not think that were missing many high frequencies. To me it seemed that the synth sounds full-bodied and powerful, far better what I normally hear on the monitors on stage.

Incidentally, Elantric, you've had a chance to try the Roland Cube-120XL Bass? (I do not know if you play bass too)
I think I'll sell my old Fender BXR-100 and try to find one of these, second-hand. Would look good next to the GA-212!

Elantric

QuoteIncidentally, Elantric, you've had a chance to try the Roland Cube-120XL Bass? (I do not know if you play bass too)

No - for Bass I prefer older Eden, or latest  MarkBass amps
http://www.markbass.it/products.php

Ed_Saxman

Quote from: Elantric on October 31, 2014, 11:54:29 AM
No - for Bass I prefer older Eden, or latest  MarkBass amps
http://www.markbass.it/products.php

Certainly if I were bassist would be very happy with a Markbass Mini CMD 121P, for example. They are the most interesting manufacturer today in regard to bass amplifiers.

But yesterday I was looking at second hand deals ... and coincidentally found the Roland CB-120XL at a great price, in mint condition. In addition, the owner accepted my old Fender BXR-100 as part payment, so only cost me €170 (plus drive about 50Km)
Now I have everything I need for fun(k)!

Quote from: Ed_Saxman on October 31, 2014, 11:50:40 AM
Would look good next to the GA-212!

tms13pin

Anyone try to get inside the cabinet area of their GA-112?  I would like to put casters on mine but I see screws
going into the bottom and the sides near the bottom so now I'm worried that something is bolted to the bottom
of the amp and I don't want to drill into it.  I can't find a way to remove the bottom back cover though.  The
front metal grille comes off but do I have to unbolt the driver just to look inside and see if there is something
in the way at the bottom of the amp?  This amp is seriously built like it would withstand a mortar attack, which is
a good thing, but it looks like there's no way in!

Thanks for any revelations, those of you who have found a way inside there!

--Tom

Elantric

QuoteAnyone try to get inside the cabinet area of their GA-112?

The secret is remove both side handles first - then poke a light and inspect the inside of the Roland GA-112 / GA-212 cabinet

For lower center of Gravity and better heat management , I understand the GA-112 / GA-211 Power Supply Transformer is mounted separately on the Bottom below the speaker(s)  - this is why the metal grill exists on the back

This design is forced by UL /CE for safety reasons, to keep your hands and broken strings away from high voltage   
- so applying the technique used on a Fender Twin and drilling four large holes installing removable Ernie Ball Casters WILL lead to problems!

Suggest use the method employed by older Ampegs  -

A Movers Dolly $29

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spider-Movers-Dolly-330-Lb-Capacity-/311164008384?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4872d1f7c0

During my Winter Break in 2 weeks - I will be diving inside my GA-212 to upgrade speakers - I'll post pics then

tms13pin

No handles on the side of the GA-112  :(  I don't see any way of getting inside the cabinet.  Yeah, I thought of just
getting a separate dolly or just making one of those instead.  It's possible that the 212 has more open space on
either side so that they could put casters on and the 112 has the transformer board to close to the ends to do
this.  I'm not sure I want to go to the trouble of pulling the driver just to get a look at the bottom of the cab,
so the dolly is probably the way to go.  Thanks!

--Tom

Toby Krebs

Ah the Vox EL84 small bottle powered amps!
Sound good when you first turn them on but after about two hours they all sound raggedy and not in a good way! I dont get all the desire for EL84 amps these days.

Give me my EL34 powered Marshall( gets stronger as it gets hotter and is run louder)

or either of my Fender 6l6 powered Hot Rods( same thing but dont turn them up too loud)

or my current favorite my Cube 80XL

Loud and clean

warm to my ears

no wheezing sputtery hashy distortion like EL84s

I put and OCD or my Real Tube in front and it kicks my other amps asses

They are made for live gigging

they are eq-d to cut and they do

by itself it sounds a little weird yes but when that drummer starts bashing away and that bass player starts bassing and that sax player starts bleating and that female singer starts screeching I can keep up and keep at it without resorting to stupid volume war tactics.

The Cubes are made for a specific purpose and to compare them to tube amps that are made for recording and blues jams is a little silly but fun I guess.

When I need super loud clean funky tone I have it in spades with the Cube
I play a lot of funk

tube amps dont do that very well.

I would bet the GA-112 is pretty darn good too but too damn heavy for me lol!

Elantric

The GA-112 and GA-212 sounds nothing like the Cube 80XL  -

( I'm not digging the sound of the GA series at all,  and totally understand why they bombed in the marketplace when they were priced at $1200 (?)

But for $220 for a scratch and Dent GA-212, its a good  mod platform as a stereo powered cab for my Kemper  / or GP-10 !

Fusion

So you chaps dig the GP-10 so much better than the COSM in the GR55?
"Long ago in days of old when magic filled the air..."

Elantric

QuoteSo you chaps dig the GP-10 so much better than the COSM in the GR55?

Yes - compared to GR-55 ,  I can hear the improvement of the GP-10.

Fusion

Do you suppose its possible they can change the GR55 to use that platform if it is better like a major upgrade or they want you to buy both. I do not use much in the way of the COSM stuff so not sure I gain much on sound quality. I can see if someone uses that as their core guitar sound source they might want the GP-10. For me it is not worth the extra expense.
"Long ago in days of old when magic filled the air..."

Elantric

QuoteDo you suppose its possible they can change the GR55 to use that platform if it is better like a major upgrade or they want you to buy both. I do not use much in the way of the COSM stuff so not sure I gain much on sound quality. I can see if someone uses that as their core guitar sound source they might want the GP-10. For me it is not worth the extra expense.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13076.msg95491#msg95491

Elantric wrote>
Even 2 years ago at 2013 Winter NAMM I asked Roland about further updates to GR-55  - and was told it was essentially already maxed out and no further firmware updates were planned.

As a reaction in part to our forum  and Gumtown's Editors - they have created "Boss Tone Studio"  - and in the future They are focusing on using the "Boss" brand for Guitar Processors 

if there is a new 13 pin product for 2015 it will be announced  during Winter NAMM, or May  during MusicMesse, or this July  during Summer NAMM
I expect news to occur at this link below:
http://bosstonecentral.com

Or at Roland Social Media links already mentioned  here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7663.msg83629#msg83629

QuoteThis Roland-Planet www.tumblr.com Blog  link below appears to be a good source of breaking news at Roland in 2014

http://roland-planet.tumblr.com

Use Google Translate to read in your desired language
https://translate.google.com
Here is English
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Froland-planet.tumblr.com&edit-text=

But I have not heard anything about a new  13 pin product from Roland  - I don't expect anything until 2017[/i]

baatkarlo

https://baatkarlo.wordpress.com/2016/02/26/roland-ga-112-chassis-replacement

Shows some internals and the fact that the Roland GA-112 has a USB Port that is not mentioned in the manual! This amp when run in stereo as a cabinet by connecting the VG-99 L/R out to one "Main In" port in the back of each GA-112 sounds really astounding. It allows using just the power amp this way.

https://baatkarlo.wordpress.com/2016/02/26/roland-ga-112-chassis-replacement

Shows some internals and the fact that the Roland GA-112 has a USB Port that is not mentioned in the manual! This amp when run in stereo as a cabinet by connecting the VG-99 L/R out to one "Main In" port in the back of each GA-112 sounds really astounding. It allows using just the power amp this way.

-----

Roland GA-112 Chassis replacement
FEB 26
Posted by Rajiv Mistry

I purchased a Roland GA-112 amp on eBay and it arrived with the chassis cracked on the right side. So I called Roland for a replacement side and they shipped me a new chassis, as its glued together into one piece! So after forgiving the cheat on eBay who sold me the cracked chassis while posting pictures of a pristine amp, I also forgave Roland for a poor design of the chassis – and not thinking of design for serviceability.

Above is the cracked right side of the chassis. If it had been designed as a replaceable part, it would be a matter of removing a few screws and taking it off, putting on the new one.

I started by taking a picture of the back of the GA-112 amp as I use two of these in my studio for left/right channels coming from my Roland VG-99 guitar synth. Basically, the outputs from there use the amps as just power amped cabinets, bypassing the front input which drives the amp circuit.

Above is the back removed from the amp chassis. Eight things have to be unwired to detach the entire board assembly completely. The plug on the left with the black and white wires, the nut holding the earthing wire, the three plugs on the upper right, starting from the two with red wires and the one immediately next to it (but not the last one on the right corner), as well as the small plug underneath the board on the upper right, which is seen between the second and third plugs, as well as one small plug with black and white wires in the middle of the lower board on the left. Also, remove the screw holding the cylindrical ceramic part around the power cable to the left.

After removing the screws for the front grill, remove the front orange cosmetic panel unscrewed using a matching allen key. Then remove the three retaining screws that hold the front amp circuit board in place.

Keep the amp upright and unscrew the eight speaker screws, reach in from the back of the amp and while holding the metal rim of the speaker firmly from the front, push the coil center gently with hand. The speaker will dislodge and drop out. Do not let it fall as it will land on the power amp at the bottom of the chassis!

Unclip the three leads from the back of the speaker. Note that blue one goes on top not the black one, when you reassemble.

Above on the right is the set of all disassembled screws and one flanged nut kept in batches – do not mix them or your reassembly time will be longer! Once the speaker, front and back panels are out, flip the amp over and unscrew the four screws to remove the power amp from the bottom of the chassis.

Make sure to untwist and retwist the black cable tie on the upper left of above photo after reattaching the plugs when rewiring the board after placing it into the new chassis.

Check out the USB port present on the mid-left! This is on the rear panel, and since its too far back from the rear panel, there is no hole in it to allow connecting to it from outside. I bet this allows USB recording at 44.1KHz/24-bit  or reprogramming of the amp COSM models. The manual does not mention it!

Make sure to keep cables clear of the boards by using the twist ties stapled on the inside of the chassis on both sides of the interior. This will prevent hum by keeping all cables close together and also prevent cables being subjected to conductive heating from the components on the board.

Power amp remounted on bottom of chassis. Four screws have to secure it from underneath. This is the high voltage components, and it is crucial to keep cables tied off using twisties onto the side of the chassis.

Reconnect the speaker using its wires as shown above: blue goes in the middle.

Reconnect the white plug and earthing wire with the nut.

Reconnect the power amp plugs back and tie off cables to chassis using stapled twisties inside.

Insert and screw front and back panels and mount the speaker, screw it back into chassis.

Secure cables using twisties to inside of chassis

Eat sleep get up play. Eat sleep get up play. Eat sleep get up play.