Roland Cube Street EX

Started by Elantric, May 31, 2014, 08:59:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerrycali

Well -  after reading all the comments - I guess I will have to give the Cube EX another sound test with my GR55 - thanks for all the info and results each of you had - another example of  what is so great about about the VGuitar Forums site - thank you all  -Jerry Cali ---------UPDATE  : Feb.2016 - I have purchased a new Cubestreet EX and it is excellent - the 1st one had problems and was sent back - glad everyone posted their comments - Jerry Cali

rsm

Can the middle "channel" Mic/Guitar be used as a line in by setting it to "Mic"? 

I want to be able to run a line input into this channel, as I would use the far right line in channel for my GT-100, or GP-10 + SY-300.

Would this work? Would using the XLR input in the Mic/Guitar middle channel set to Mic be similar to a line input?
rsm
bass | guitar | keys | Push

Rickenbacker | Steinberger | Boss | Roland
Using Digital and Solid State by Choice

admin

Cube Street EX Owners Manual
http://cdn.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/CUBE_STEX_OM.pdf

QuoteI want to be able to run a line input into this [Middle] channel,

* The far left Mono channel with EQ and Reverb  can be switched between Mic Input or Insttrument Input.

* The Middle channel is Instrument level COSM guitar channel with DSP COSM Amp Modelling  and its mono input only, and does not handle Line level, It can be used with a Mic   

The far right channel is stereo Line level Input  - no EQ but it works best with Guitar DSP Amp Modellers ( Kemper, GP-10, Axe-FX, GT-100, Firehawk FX, etc)

The 3.5mm TRRS( I-CUBE_LINK) Stereo input that accepts Stereo line level signals -  - that might work for you.

and there is a rear Aux Input jack on the Rear, and that accepts mono line Level signals

rsm

rsm

rsm

Anyone know the Cube Street EX stated/published frequency response range?  (I should know this since I purchased one.  :-[  )
rsm

Elantric

Only info I know is in the manual 

http://lib.roland.co.jp/support/en/manuals/res/63101124/CUBE_STEX_e01_W.pdf

- which means there is  not a published spec for Frequency response as far as I know

Roland japan Q&A site is here:

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.roland.co.jp/&prev=search

The Street EX does have dual 8" speakers + dual High Frequency horn drivers - 

rsm

Thanks.

...it also explains why I can't find this info, as it hasn't been published AFAWK.

It seemed to work fine with bass patches in the SY-300 using my guitar;  I use a 4 string bass (Ric 4003) I may try it with my Zoom B1on into the CUBE Street EX this weekend.
rsm

Elantric

There will be limitations for playing bass instruments with Cube Street EX - low to moderate volume may work - but if you must compete with a loud drummer - forget it

rsm

Agreed, I plan to use it with guitar not bass.  It's working great with my GT-100.

Just trying to get a sense of the frequency response, as some of my planned SY-300 patches will leverage lower ranges.

I was considering a Mackie DLM12, stated frequency range: 38Hz - 20kHz, not stereo... 
rsm

Elantric

I figure Cube Street EX is lucky if you get down to 80 hz @ -9 db below a  1kHz reference

QuoteI was considering a Mackie DLM12, stated frequency range: 38Hz - 20kHz, not stereo...

No contest  - the Mackie DLM12 @ 2000 watts and a 12" bass driver would win there

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DLM12

rsm

Yes, though the DLM8 looks more inviting (size and weight)...  I could see a pair of DLM12 as a lightweight means of augmenting my Bose L1 Model II system. The frequency range is a good compromise as I think with the DLM8 subs may be needed, the DLM12 covers more frequencies.

Very happy with CUBE Street EX for my guitar modeling.
rsm

bbob

I am interested in the Roland Cube Street EX.

I read a couple of Amazon reviews that the users had improved the sound (and voided the warranty) by replacing the stock speakers with Jensen MOD8-20 20W 8" 4 ohm speakers.

http://www.amazon.com/Roland-4-Channel-50-Watt-Battery-Amplifier/dp/B00JLP1PYA

Bob

Elantric

I'm still very happy with my Roland Cube Street EX - it works very well and nothing else matches its features and performance in the battery powered realm.
Even played gigs with loud rock drummer and the Roland Cube Street EX kept right up

QuoteI read a couple of Amazon reviews that the users had improved the sound (and voided the warranty) by replacing the stock speakers with Jensen MOD8-20 20W 8" 4 ohm speakers.

It depends on the users "ears and expectations" - but this is good info i did not know before.

"Official" Roland Speakers are way overpriced when purchasing from Roland Customer support - so down the road should i have problems with the stock speakers, i might swap for the Jensen MOD8-20 

http://www.amazon.com/Roland-4-Channel-50-Watt-Battery-Amplifier/product-reviews/B00JLP1PYA/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_summary?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=byRankDescending

johnnyninja

I'm going back and forth between this Street Cube and two 10 inch Cubes. I'm playing through a GP10. I wonder if the extended range of the Street Cube would make any real world difference since the GX has slightly more range than a 'standard' speaker. Volume is not a concern. Any thoughts?

Elantric

Ive become a "Cube" Amp collector

I now own several - i find the 2009-2011 CUBE 40XL, CUBE 80XL models have wider range speakers with extended high frequencies that go up to near 10kHz and work ok for Guitar Synth use.

The very latest "CUBE-80 GX" model has a very different duller sounding speaker "voiced" to reproduce traditional Electric Guitar Amp Speaker frequency response (75Hz to 6.5kHz)  my ears detect the latest CUBE-80GX speaker  never goes above 6.5kHz, which means it works smoothly to reproduce traditional electric guitar amp tones  - but a few folks complain the "CUBE-80 GX sounds "dull".

I would never make that statement for my 2010 CUBE 80XL, which can get pretty bright sounding

while the  Roland Cube Street EX benefits from the pair of HF Horn tweeters to cover higher frequencies  - with flatter frequency response compared to any of the above mentioned Cubes. 

But if you need to play loud gigs with a small package , its tough to beat the versatility of the 2009 to 2011 CUBE 80XL - use two for stereo!

johnnyninja

Thanks for the details about the XL and GX. It looks like the Cube Street is the one.

java2go

To me the amp was "okay" but it sounded much better when I replaced the stock speakers with the Jensens as others have recommended. The connections don't exactly fit so you will need someone who has some spare connectors and a soldering gun to put them in.  After I put them in - man what a difference in the bass and the mid range.  Perfect!

Also, I really didn't like the "Cube" logo on it all.   I was just going to remove it and it did look better... but then I had a spare Mesa nameplate and I put it on it and I think it looks much better.  Now if Mesa only made a microtube amp this size with a mic input that was battery operated!!

ramissin

Great thread, I'm on the verge of buying one of these, I will eventually pop into my local and test one out, but have a few questions.

I bought the original Street Cube, but hated the muddy, nasally, "PA" sound when playing backing tracks, not to mention practically non existent low end.

How much better does the EX sound ? obviously the stereo and extra wattage will improve things, but is there good separation on the backing track and how good is the bass on this unit ?

I now have a Tascam DP008 EX to use as input and to play backing tracks, does anyone know the optimal input/s to use for this?

tia.

Elantric

I still own both models of Cube Street

The EX version is completely different , EX is easily 4 times louder and flatter Freq response

Its loud, EX goes loud and can gig with drummers or  busk on street alone  with backing tracks , onboard controls for mixing   But that's me

It works fine for stereo  - but Who cares? - Its simply a decent portable stereo guitar stage monitor for your DSP Guitar modeler or Synth  that can be standalone at small room gigs , but allows you to retain and use your stereo patches all the time, so you can retain stereo feed when you want to also feed the FOH PA, no need to change your Axe-FX / GR-55 patches to mono with resulting Stereo to mono phase cancellation issues.

ramissin

I'm flogging the old one to go towards the new (overpriced) one  ;D I never used it for gigging, just plopped it in a cupboard.

So the EX has good stereo sound, separation, low / high ends ?

Elantric

You don't buy it to mix records with
A pair of genelecs  will sound better

If you require wide stereo separation look elsewhere , or buy 2 EX's

http://www.roland.com/products/cube_street_ex_pa_pack/

ramissin

I obviously didn't buy it to mix, the stereo question was purely for the backing track as I will be busking to tracks I make in Cubase.

2 EX's would kind of negate the portability.

The reason I use the DP008 is because it's 2 way communication, I can add things to the backing track using either method, If I have ideas when I'm out and about I can drop them in and move them to Cubase when I get home, remaster and drop it back onto the Tascam.

From the sounds of it the backing will sound a lot better through the EX, much better than the older model anyway.

Elantric

QuoteFrom the sounds of it the backing will sound a lot better through the EX, much better than the older model anyway.

No comparison - Roland should have created a new product name for for the "EX" to avoid the public confusing it with the with older low wattage version.

I still like the original Cube Street  for performing surf music on live radio in small On air Radio Booths . One guitar straight in and crank the reverb

ramissin

Oh yeah agreed , solo guitar is impressive on the old model, but lack of low end makes it crap for backing tracks.

Got to say I'm also considering the Aiwa EXOS-9, using the Tascam for input / mix, seems quite rugged and doubles up as a pretty cool sound system :)

Elantric

QuoteGot to say I'm also considering the Aiwa EXOS-9, using the Tascam for input / mix, seems quite rugged and doubles up as a pretty cool sound system

I have one of those too  -
But for live Guitar remarkably the Roland Cube Street EX goes louder than the Aiwa EXOS-9, which is great for house parties or

Use EXOS 9 for backing tracks exclusively and your old Cube Street for guitar, and  carry both

My goal / quest was a portable all in one self powered stereo speaker for use with my DSP modelers than can keep up with an acoustic drummer  - no contest,  the Cube Street EX. for size / weight / volume / and battery option in a tight location. But EX is NOT my only amp