GR-55 - Can not get guitar out to work

Started by Bill Ruppert, October 13, 2011, 02:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Ruppert

For some reason I can not get the normal pickup to output through the guitar jack.
The internal switch to select model or normal pickup does nothing!
Anybody???

Elantric

The steps are:

1)  Verify the short cable between normal guitar output jack and the GK-3 normal PU Input is attached.

2 ) Verify the GK-3 three position switch is in the Guitar or Mix position.

Refer to the GR-55 Block diagram for the signal flow:

"The GUITAR OUT jack can output the normal pickup sound and the
sound of the modeling tone. (NO FX)
For example, you can make settings so that the normal pickup sound
and the COSM modeling guitar tone sound (NO FX) will be played through a guitar amp,
while the other synthesizer sounds will be played through the PA
system connected to the OUTPUT jacks. For details, refer to System
settings "GUITAR OUT Jack Settings (GUITAR OUT)" (p. 70).

Bill Ruppert

No Steve it does not work.
All that is outputted is the modeled guitar no matter what.

Elantric

Can you get the Normal Pickup sound at the Main output jacks?

This thread shows you how:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3402.0

Bill Ruppert

Bill Ruppert

If I can have some verify the normal pickup outputs to the guitar out I will take further steps in replacing it.
As I said the modeled guitar is the only thing that gets outputted.
Thanks

Elantric

Yes - the GR-55 Guitar Out can be selected from two sources:

* Normal Pickup

* COSM Pickup

See page 54 in GR-55 Owners Manual

"The GUITAR OUT jack can output the normal pickup sound and the
sound of the modeling tone.
For example, you can make settings so that the normal pickup sound
and the modeling tone sound will be played through a guitar amp,
while the other synthesizer sounds will be played through the PA
system connected to the OUTPUT jacks. For details, refer to System
settings "GUITAR OUT Jack Settings (GUITAR OUT)" (p. 70).
For details on the parameters, refer to "GUITAR OUT" (p. 59).

MEMO
If the SYSTEM setting GUITAR OUT (p. 80) is set to anything other than
"PATCH," this setting is ignored."

Bill Ruppert

If the SYSTEM setting GUITAR OUT (p. 80) is set to anything other than
"PATCH," this setting is ignored."

GOT IT
Damn you are good Steve!

tekrytor

If by chance you're using a Godin SA guitar, search for the thread on configuring the GR-55's normal input, specific for those GR ready Godin guitars. That fixed my similar problem.

link:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3745.0
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

skullorchard

I've had my GR-55, for a little over a month now and I've had no trouble getting the synth voice and guitar voices to work together. It gets a bit tricky, when trying to get both voices through one amp. It works best with two amps but having an amp with 2 channels is adequate. The real fun comes with using both voices in a recording system. My GR-55 is connected to a Boss BR-800 via 2 phono cables in the L/R outputs to the guitar input on the recorder. That gives me the synth's voice. I then ran a standard patch cord from the guitar-out jack on the synth through a Digitech RP200A into the input 4 jack on the BR-800. Finally, I ran a dual phono cable to the phono input on my Fender amp. I now have either one or both voices available.

Deacon Blue

I'm running a Y cable from gtr out and synth out to an amp and as far as I'm concerned this does the job. I get a nice blend from synth and normal p/u which I love...I might be missing something here, but it works fine for what I need.
"When your project isn't working, look for the part that you didn't think was important"
www.Bandmix.com/katylyst

donkelley

Quote from: Deacon Blue on October 16, 2013, 09:19:45 PM
I'm running a Y cable from gtr out and synth out to an amp and as far as I'm concerned this does the job. I get a nice blend from synth and normal p/u which I love...I might be missing something here, but it works fine for what I need.

It seems to me that what you're missing is longevity in your GR-55's life before the outputs burn out!  These are active circuits outputting up to several volts.  They are not designed to accept any input voltage, they are output only.  However by connecting them with a simple y adapter you have now got each one's output delivering output signal of several volts the other OUTPUT as well as your desired result of them both ending up at the single y adapter end.

They're not being summed, electronically, like a mixer would do (which is what you need to use here - a mixer, not a y cable). 

What your doing with your y adapter could be compared to having a divided highway with a turn off on one side.  at either end of the divided highway are one way signs allowing entry only.  so you now have cars coming in from either end and facing either other.  because it's a divided highway (meaning it has a lane in each direction), the cars can safely go around each other.  but at the end they'll be trying to exit and instead there are "no entry" signs there and they're barging through anyhow.  Some of the cars might decide to turn off in the middle along the other road, however, and effectively both directions merge together going that route to provide some sort of mixed result which is what you desire.  But you're ignoring the two sources where cars are crashing into the ends and causing damage.

Elantric

QuoteI'm running a Y cable from gtr out and synth out to an amp and as far as I'm concerned this does the job. I get a nice blend from synth and normal p/u which I love...I might be missing something here, but it works fine for what I need.

Totally agree with donkelley.
QuoteIt seems to me that what you're missing is longevity in your GR-55's life before the outputs burn out!  These are active circuits outputting up to several volts.  They are not designed to accept any input voltage, they are output only.  However by connecting them with a simple y adapter you have now got each one's output delivering output signal of several volts the other OUTPUT as well as your desired result of them both ending up at the single y adapter end.

They're not being summed, electronically, like a mixer would do (which is what you need to use here - a mixer, not a y cable). 

What your doing with your y adapter could be compared to having a divided highway with a turn off on one side.  at either end of the divided highway are one way signs allowing entry only.  so you now have cars coming in from either end and facing either other.  because it's a divided highway (meaning it has a lane in each direction), the cars can safely go around each other.  but at the end they'll be trying to exit and instead there are "no entry" signs there and they're barging through anyhow.  Some of the cars might decide to turn off in the middle along the other road, however, and effectively both directions merge together going that route to provide some sort of mixed result which is what you desire.  But you're ignoring the two sources where cars are crashing into the ends and causing damage.
Never use a Y cord to combine two outputs. This damages active electronics and WILL shorten the life of your GR55.

Instead - use a mixer - here is a passive ART SplitMix 4 for $50 that works for many applications
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SplitMix4?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=recording&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CNGHmvCD1roCFaNxQgodSW8AYA