GR-55 - Separate Ways

Started by Jim Williams, February 07, 2013, 03:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Williams

Here is the Keyboard part to that Journey song Separate ways. It's kind of a throw back but people seem to dig it.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

Jim Williams

Here is a revision that is a little more modulated.

Jim Williams

For the guitar tone I used my GT-100 but here is a patch I call "Bread and Butter" and it will do nicely for the GR-55. It has a solo switch on the CTL pedal. a pitch bend with the pedal switch on and the minimum GK volume is clean withe chorus on the neck pickup. It will do nicely for most of Journeys high gain sounds. If you go into the alt tunings it's set to go to drop C for you metal heads. ;D

greekjgg

Awesome, we just added this song to our set list, will work nicely!!
Setup:
Homemade EVH Frankenstrat with built in GK3
GR55
Rocktron Talkbox
TC Helicon Voicetone C1
Tech 21 Power Engine 60

greekjgg

Just wanted to say....I use this patch all the time...I did tweak it some for my purposes. I literally play the keyboard part almost the whole song. I then use the exp pedal to slide back and forth between the keyboard and lead so I can do the guitar solo. This is one of our most popular songs live and everyone just "freaks" when they see me playing it on guitar even though its really such an easy part.
Setup:
GR55
Rocktron Talkbox
TC Helicon Voicetone C1
Tech 21 Power Engine 60

Jim Williams

I'm glad you like it. Please post a mp3 of your band doing it and your tweaked patch I'm sure we would all enjoy it.
Jimmy.

Toby Krebs

Mr. Williams patches are so good I just download them and use them with very little futzing around.

Thanks Jim!

greekjgg

Quote from: Jim Williams on August 30, 2013, 10:10:58 AM
I'm glad you like it. Please post a mp3 of your band doing it and your tweaked patch I'm sure we would all enjoy it.
Jimmy.

I've been trying too forever....I'm hoping the next gig we finally get some good footage
Setup:
GR55
Rocktron Talkbox
TC Helicon Voicetone C1
Tech 21 Power Engine 60

greekjgg

Quote from: Jim Williams on August 30, 2013, 10:10:58 AM
Jimmy.

Attached is my Version of this patch. I used your synth as a starting point and tweaked for my needs. I often find that there is no "perfect" stock patch to download as you need to tweak to your setup so it wasn't because "I didn't think yours was good enough" and not trying to offend you.

The guitar is my main guitar tone although its colored with the same synth effects. Maybe there is an easy way to change this?
I basically use the synth for 95% of the song. The guitar is just for the solos. We have a rhy guy, but as basic as this solo is, he doesn't feel "adequate" enough to do it.

This patch has been one of the most difficult to EQ for me as getting the synth volume right initially as well as the volume for the guitar loud enough during the solos has been quite a challenge. This is the latest version of that but I usually end up getting feedback constantly from my sound guy. I always give him a copy of our setlist and he will often jot a note down for me....synth too soft, guitar too loud, etc, so that I can tweak before the next show.
Setup:
GR55
Rocktron Talkbox
TC Helicon Voicetone C1
Tech 21 Power Engine 60