The new iphone design confirmed

Started by Elantric, July 06, 2012, 10:38:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brent Flash

My delivery date is October 13th-20th. The leather case and adapters are being shipped this week.

Elantric

i contacted AT&T - I have to wait until Oct 27 2014 before I  order iPhone 6 Plus 128GB for $499 - else its $750

I'll wait 6 weeks!

In the past on 2 year contract iPhone plans -AT&T would allow me to upgrade after 18 months,  - but this time they are forcing me to wait until the full 24 month Contract expires for my current phone (Samsung Galaxy Note2) on Oct 26, 2014.

mbenigni

AT&T was surprisingly flexible about letting me out of contract at ~21 months, but I think this is because the salesman was pushing the "Next" plan in lieu of an upgrade and contract renewal.  For better or for worse, who can tell...

But I'm annoyed he had me convinced I'd have a phone next week, whereas email correspondence now indicates end of October.  I might take a stroll up to the Apple Store at lunch and see whether they can improve the timeline (without making things too complicated with AT&T.)

mbenigni

The Apple Store was exactly the sort of freak show you'd reasonably expect on release day.   :o  I didn't have the "luxury" of standing in a series of lines for an estimated three hours, so...  waiting.  It was nice to see the two phones in person, though.  I like them both, but I'm reassured that I'm better off with the smaller one.

mbenigni

In a rare case of underestimating themselves, AT&T misstated their delivery date by over a month - in my favor.  The iPhone actually arrived last night.  Good thing I didn't cancel the order and stand in a line all day Friday.  ::)  Anyway, what an improvement over my last phone!

All that remains is to make sense of my bill, which is neither what the salesman quoted me, nor what the paperwork indicated (on any of its many self-contradicting pages), nor anything like my old bill.  All of the above uniquely itemized (e.g. show half your work, and never the same half) so that I can't possibly make sense of it or dispute the logic.  :/

Kevin M

Likewise, I ordered my smaller sized 6/128gb Saturday via AT&T and it arrived today.  It's considerably larger than my 4s, so I'm content!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Headless68

In UK I was given a delivery date of 17th Oct (iPhone 6+  64gb ). But I just got an email to say it will be here tomorrow - bonus :-)

mbenigni

While we're on the topic of smartphones, I know some of you use Tapatalk to read/contribute to VGuitar forums.  The iOS version of iOS of Tapatalk will let you browse the site by subject, but it won't let you view the most recent posts across all topics, the way the "Recent Posts" functions in a browser.

Does anyone know of an alternate app for iOS that supports this?  (I'm pretty addicted to keeping up to date with everyone's posts here.)

Elantric

Myself - I have no use for Tapatalk ( way too limited / restrictive  functionality for me )  - I prefer to navigate the forum using a full browser
the stock Safari Browser in IOS8 works well!

( on Android I use xScope Pro Browser), and Chrome Browser on Windows and Safari Browser on OSX) 

http://lifehacker.com/the-best-web-browser-for-iphone-5831636

And I check this URL link below several times a day  - so I dont miss out on any posts.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=recent

Kevin M

Quote from: mbenigni on September 30, 2014, 11:30:35 AM
While we're on the topic of smartphones, I know some of you use Tapatalk to read/contribute to VGuitar forums.  The iOS version of iOS of Tapatalk will let you browse the site by subject, but it won't let you view the most recent posts across all topics, the way the "Recent Posts" functions in a browser.

Does anyone know of an alternate app for iOS that supports this?  (I'm pretty addicted to keeping up to date with everyone's posts here.)

I use iOS version of Tapatalk all the time. It does have a view for unread posts which I always use. Is this what you want?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Elantric

QuoteI use iOS version of Tapatalk all the time. It does have a view for unread posts which I always use. Is this what you want?

In my experience Tapatalk's View Unread Posts"  is flawed as it tends to only shows threads you have subscribed to ( using the "Notify" feature of SMF Forums) and does not show all recent threads on our forum

Compare the "unread posts" you find with Tapatalk to posts at this link below:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=recent

supernicd

I've just been using Safari to visit the site from the iPhone, and my usual entry point is the recent posts link.  The only real problem is that even when flipped to landscape mode, the print on that view is small enough that i can barely read it without zooming.  Once inside a thread the font is a little larger.

I just tried it with Atomic (forgot I had bought this at some point) and it does have a nice feature to increase the font size.
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

mbenigni

QuoteIn my experience Tapatalk's View Unread Posts"  is flawed as it tends to only shows threads you have subscribed to ( using the "Notify" feature of SMF Forums) and does not show all recent threads on our forum
Compare the "unread posts" you find with Tapatalk to posts at this link below:

Exactly.  Assuming "Unread Posts" appears in the "Feeds" section, I can't get any content to display there at all.  I'm looking for an iPhone-friendly layout of the Recent Posts content as per your hyperlink (which I use on a desktop browser with neurotic frequency.  :) )

QuoteI've just been using Safari to visit the site from the iPhone, and my usual entry point is the recent posts link.  The only real problem is that even when flipped to landscape mode, the print on that view is small enough that i can barely read it without zooming.  Once inside a thread the font is a little larger.

Same on all counts.

QuoteI just tried it with Atomic (forgot I had bought this at some point) and it does have a nice feature to increase the font size.

Interesting.  Maybe I'll get curious enough to cough up the $1.99 at some point...

Elantric

https://bgr.com/2014/10/24/128gb-iphone-6-plus-crash/

Even though the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus launch was a great success for the company, with 2014 iPhones registering record sales according to Apple, several issues have stained Apple's iPhone 6 launch, including iOS 8 software problems and the #Bendgate mess, to name just a few. More recently, it was discovered that the iPhone 6's plastic antenna covers also come with one unexpected flaw. Now, AppleInsider points us to a growing thread on Apple's support forum that details a potential software issue affecting iPhone 6 Plus handsets.

FROM EARLIER: A new iPhone 6 problem arises: Dye from jeans is ruining the iPhone's plastic strips
https://bgr.com/2014/10/22/iphone-6-cases-plastic-strips-color-rubbing/
The thread in questions has over 9,200 views and more than 60 responses, and it details constant crashing issues that affect certain devices. It appears the bug affects 128GB iPhone 6 Plus models that have more than 700 applications installed, but Apple has yet to confirm what the problem is.

The system crashes can apparently occur even without user interaction, and setting up the phone as new and reinstalling apps manually — rather than restoring a previous iPhone image on the device — does not fix the problem.

Some users have taken their faulty devices to Apple stores, where some people were able exchange the faulty phone for a new device, but others have been told to keep using their malfunctioning iPhone 6 Plus units as their ticket escalates in Apple's tech support department.

iPhone 6 Plus replacement devices have also proven to be susceptible to crashes.

At this time, it's not clear how widespread the problem is, as it might only affect 128GB iPhone 6 Plus models that have hundreds of iOS applications installed. The full Apple support forum thread is available below at the source link.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6550902?start=0&tstart=0

QuoteKristijanKrstic
Oct 24, 2014 5:03 PM
Re: iPhone 6 Plus Keeps Crashing  PLEASE HELP!
in response to legalepa
have the same problem

Iphone 6 Plus, 128 GB, iOS 8.1 ->more than 700 Apps - Result: Very instabile iOS. If i continued to install more than 700 - The Crashes getting more.. till Never-ending Bootloop. :-( I restored my phone many times - and spend a lot of time - I make a fresh new Reinstall from iOS 8.1 and the apps are all new downloaded from the apps-store (from the phone) - its very frustrated. I have buy a 128gb to have the possibilities to install many apps and put a lot of content. But at this time time - i don't have so much fun with this device. The buggiest Apple-Device i have ever had (customer till 2003). Hope Apple fixes this problem with an Update as soon as possible. Thank You

QuoteGeorge Wilde
Oct 24, 2014 1:44 PM
Re: iPhone 6 Plus Keeps Crashing  PLEASE HELP!
in response to legalepa
Like many of you I have a new iPhone 6 Plus 128gb which repeatedly crashed after restoring from an iPhone 5. It finally hung up in a continual reboot loop and was essentially dead.I had over 1000 Apps on the previous iPhone 5 which transferred to the iPhone 6 Plus. I took the iPhone 6 Plus to the Apple Store, and even after replacing the software and firmware, the Genius could not get the iPhone 6 Plus to function properly. He replaced the iPhone 6 Plus with a new phone. When I took it home and again restored from my iPhone 5 backup, I began having similar problems. However, I did notice one significant problem which might have caused some of my difficulty. I had a custom lock screen on my iPhone 5, which was transferred to my iPhone 6 Plus. Whenever I went into the Settings App and accessed the Wallpaper settings, the iPhone 6 Plus immediately crashed and started to reboot. The custom lock screen appeared OK, but seems to be totally incompatible with the iPhone 6 Plus. I then set up my iPhone 6 Plus as a new phone with the default lock screen and began restoring my Apps. I now have over 700 Apps on the iPhone 6 Plus, and have encountered no problems, other than a few older Apps failing to work properly and sometimes quitting. But I have had no system crashes like previously. Holding my breath on this, but hopefully using the default lock screen and reinstalling all Apps from the App store will work.

montyrivers

I'm hoping it turns out to be a simple software glitch but the app bootloop problem sounds like bad flash memory to me.  It's possible the first run of iphone 6's were produced with a run of bad non volatile  memory.  128 gb is a high spec and the cheapest manufacturing bid at the time usually wins out.  Maybe Apple thought SSD tech had advanced far enough ahead of the curve so that QA wouldn't be an issue when sourcing flash memory?

mbenigni

...or some kind of indexing problem.  700+ apps on a phone is slightly insane IMO.  How do you even know what's available much less use all of it?

Between this and the "dyegate" complaint, talk about your first-world problems.   ::)

Elantric

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/11/04/apple-may-have-a-huge-iphone-6-plus-recall-on-its-hands/

Apple May Have a Huge iPhone 6 Plus Recall on its Hands
BY TODD HASELTON | NOVEMBER 4, 2014

Apple pretty much dismissed any concerns with iPhone 6 Plus bending, even though there's plenty of proof that, given enough pressure, the phone does indeed bend. We haven't experienced that under normal usage situations, however, and that problem seems to have mostly quieted down. Still, Apple may be facing a much bigger headache that one media outlet suggests could result in a massive recall of iPhone 6 Plus units.

If you own the iPhone 6 Plus with 128GB of storage, you may have noticed that it sometimes crashes and reboots. I can confirm this with my own unit, and apparently the problem lies in the storage option that Apple decided to use on the device. As a result of how it handles data, the flash storage and its controller IC componenet may ultimately have issues when there are loads of applications stored on the larger format iPhone 6 Plus.

According to Business Korea, Apple opted to use triple-level cell (TLC) NAND flash storage in the iPhone 6 Plus to save costs over multi-level cell (MLC) NAND flash storage that's used in other iPhone models. The problem, Business Korea explained, is that while TLC can store more data, it's also slower and less stable than the other options available, which may be one reason why the iPhone 6 Plus with 128GB of storage crashes. The site also points to known problems with the controller IC, or integrated circuit, that has also been recognized in Samsung SSD products that use the same NAND flash.

It's possible that Apple might be able to work around the issue with a software fix, it seems, but Business Korea also thinks something much bigger may be on the horizon. "Some in the industry think that if TLC flash is indeed the cause of the defects, Apple might recall all of the products that have been sold so far," the news outlet said. The issue, at least on my end, isn't so frequent that I'd return my device, but perhaps it's a much bigger problem than it appears to be on the surface.

Counterpoint
http://www.imore.com/128-gb-iphone-6-plus-and-ridiculous-recall-allegations
128 GB iPhone 6 Plus and sensational "recall" headlines
By Rene Ritchie, Tuesday, Nov 4, 2014 a   1:46 pm EST
128 GB iPhone 6 Plus and sensational
There are some incredibly sketchy, borderline irresponsible allegations coming out of Korea that claim there's a "huge potential recall" facing the 128GB version of the iPhone 6 Plus. There isn't. Certainly nothing that Apple has initiated and apparently nothing they themselves have come even remotely close to making a case for. So what's going on here?
The allegation states that there's a problem with the NAND Flash storage in the 128 GB version of the iPhone 6 Plus. As someone who owns an iPhone 6 Plus, I admit I clicked on the link when we received it, and its offshoots, in our tip box this morning. Then I started reading and found... nothing. Nothing but vague references to "some in the industry", and unlinked attributions to Business Insider and Apple Insider.

I found absolutely nothing, other than negative attention seeking, that lent any credibility whatsoever to the headline — a headline that makes use of the hottest of hot button language.

Beyond the sensationalism, there have indeed been some reports of some 128GB iPhone 6 Plus customers facing crashes or reboot loops, and of some customers getting their devices swapped out because of it at the Genius Bar. And that's what the Genius Bar is for. When tens of millions of brand new configurations of brand new products ship, that's exactly the kind of data and samples that Apple routinely collects and investigates as part of quality assurance for all their products.

Anecdotally, I've had no problems with my 128 GB iPhone 6 Plus, and I've been hitting it pretty hard, day in, day out, for over a month.

Accumulating this kind of information is important. Testing to see how and when it happens is important. Finding out how often it's being reported is important. Doing none of that and slapping an incendiary headline at the top of it is bullshit.

As a consumer, all it does is create noise and stress that I'm forced to navigate and cope with to find out what's really going on. And what's really going on is the part that matters to me most.

Have something to say about this story? Add it in the comments below! Have a news tip or a story suggestion, send it in!

Elantric

http://www.philmug.ph/forum/f126/how-check-if-iphone-6-6-plus-has-mlc-tlc-nand-flash-memory-93587/

How To Check If iPhone 6 / 6 Plus Has MLC Or TLC NAND Flash Memory

You may think, when picking up a new mobile device, that your model is the exact same as every single other person who opted for the same color and storage setup. This isn't always the case, though, and in the instance of the iPhone 6?s memory, some are bundled with multi-layer cell (MLC) while others have TLC, or three-layer cell flash. If you're jailbroken, you can find out which type of memory your device includes, and given that MLC is notably more favorable than TLC given its faster read / write speeds and more expensive nature, you'll probably want to check the guide below and (hopefully) confirm that you've been blessed with MLC.

Apple only briefly dabbled with TLC before switching back to MLC on a permanent basis, so it's more likely than not that your iPhone 6or iPhone 6 Plus includes multi-layer cell NAND flash. But if you own either a 64GB or 128GB iPhone 6 / 6 Plus – entry-level configuration is apparently unaffected – then the guide below will show you how to find out one way or the other.

At this point you must be thinking; why is it important to find out which NAND memory my iPhone 6 / 6 Plus has? The answer is simple; MLC is more reliable than TLC, and doesn't cause much problems than the former, where users are reporting that their devices are stuck in a bootloop. The problem is tied to the device using TLC memory, rather than MLC, and mostly affects those with 64GB and 128GB capacity devices. So, if your device is acting up, or showing signs of shenanigans to come, then it's probably related to the type of memory you're using.

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-check-if-iphone-6-6-plus-has-mlc-or-tlc-nand-flash-memory-video/

An easier way to find out is just download IOKITbrowser on your iPhone here:
http://www.pgyer.com/IOKitBrowser
IOKitBrowser

and go through the menus Root > N61AP > AppleARMPE > arm-io > AppleT7000IO > ans > AppleA7IOPV1 > AppleCSI > asp > ASPStorage

Within device characteristics, you'll be looking for "default-bits-per-cell", which is succeeded by a value. If said value is 2, then you're good, and running on MLC. But if, by some chalk, your value is 3, then this means you're running the slightly less able TLC NAND flash.

Works on non jailbroken devices as well so you don't have to be jailbroken to see what you have.

aliensporebomb

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Elantric

QuoteThe Pgyer.com site is apparently gone now.
Alive and well here on westcoast
http://www.pgyer.com/IOKitBrowser

Elantric

Everyone has different sensitivity to RF / Microwave emissions   - Myself I'm among those 1% who can not tolerate wearing bluetooth headset on my head more than 10 minutes before I can literally feel my brain heating up and causing a headache.

Same for using my Cellphone  - I'll place it on a table 5 feet away from my head and use its speakerphone mode 90% of the time, or restrict use of the phone near my head to short calls - to minimize my pain.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-cell-phones-can-cause-brain-cancer/

ive had iPhones between 2008-2012, and a Galaxy Note2 since 2012 - I always leave Bluetooth and NFC "Off", and only enable it sporadically when i want to use a BlueTooth Keyboard, or send Bluetooth audio to my iLoud  - (never Bluetooth headphones.)
I have a few NFC Tags  - but not had time to play with them, but these can be used in numerous productive ways.

But I leave Bluetooth and NFC off  - both to conserve battery life and minimize my exposure to close proximity RF emissions.

So the following thread on the Apple forum has me reconsidering against the iPhones 6 plus - since at present time - the NFC communication chip employed for Apple Pay is "always on", and can not be disabled  - and I find valid concern and agreement with the poster below.   

iPhone 6 Plus headache and migraine
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6572624?start=30&tstart=0
QuotePaketa86
Sep 30, 2014 2:27 PM
Been buying new iPhones every year since they have been released.. Received my new iPhone 6 plus last Friday the 19th on launch date and was super excited!

After owning the phone for a day, I started to notice that I have a really bad headache.  Been using it for 12 days now and the headache has not gone away... The only difference that I can tell from this phone and my previous 5s is that this thing has NFC built into it with NO option to turn it off.  I believe this is what is causing my headaches.  I really love this phone but I'm obviously not going to jeopardize my health for screen size unless Apple adds a kill switch to this antenna.

A little background - I am very sensitive to Bluetooth.  Any time I am around or using it, I get these headaches exactly what I am describing here.  First thing I always do when I get my phones is shut off Bluetooth and everything has always been ok.

Has anyone else experienced a similar health concern?

I'm a guy that already owns half a dozen IOS devices  - and while its handy to carry all my IOS music apps on my phone, I prefer using iPad for Music Creation over my iPhone 100 to 1 !

But due to the "always on NFC chip in iPhone 6/6 Plus and my own hypersensitivity to RF emissions close to my head ( I use "speakerphone 90% of the time and try to limit the time my smart phone is near my head for real health reasons  )  - The Note4 is looking more attractive for my needs as an upgrade for my "daily driver" smartphone.

Headless68

I have been using the 6+ for about 6 weeks - no issues for me (& I never put it down) but I have never noted a problem before to RF and headaches - I do tend to use the iPhone headphones for longer convo's though - mostly so I can type (or browse Vguitar forum) during calls :-)

Elantric

Just an update

I did get a new iPhone 6 Plus  earlier this week ( Ordered mid December)  - and as much as I tried to like my 2012 Galaxy Note2,  - It feels good to be back on iPhone  - where I can be productive again.

I did the test for memory type and I appear to have the version with the "bad TLC RAM" - despite this being a brand new iphone 6 plus built in December 2014

How To Check If iPhone 6 / 6 Plus Has MLC Or TLC NAND Flash Memory
http://www.philmug.ph/forum/f126/how-check-if-iphone-6-6-plus-has-mlc-tlc-nand-flash-memory-93587/

But no problems for me and Ive already loaded 350 apps.

I do wish many of my iPad only apps would work on my  large screen iPhone 6 plus 128GB.

I'm using a good screen protector
ZAGG InvisibleShield Glass for Apple iPhone 6 Plus

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NLJ3NPG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and this

i-Blason iPhone 6 Plus Case -  reminds me of my old Sedio Dilex Galaxy Note2 case, - was going to head back to Seidio for a iPhone 6 Plus case - but I feel this i-Blason iPhone 6 Plus case offers better protection for iPhone 6 plus compared to the Sedio version. I had a different case for a week - (Spigen Tough Armor Case ) - but this iBlason case offers much better frontal protection with a higher shock absorbing "lip" surrounding the screen. I tend to accidentally drop my phones each day - and this case is a winner, and perfect fit - very good port access. I can easily connect the Zeetron LED Light up Charge Sync Lightning Cable and my ATH-M50X headphones. EXCELLENT CASE !
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M06YFQW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My iPhone 6 Plus in the i-Blason Case works very well with:
Zeetron LED Light up Charge Sync Lightning Cable

http://www.amazon.com/Zeetron-Lightning-Packaging-Verison-Improved/dp/B00G5K3B46/ref=pd_bxgy_cps_text_y

my 3 year old TDK "Life on Record"77000015410 Sound Cube Audio System - just using one cable  - the iPhone Lightning  / USB Charge cable transfers "USB Audio" digitally straight into the TDK powered speaker - and charges the iPhone too.

http://www.amazon.com/TDK-Record-77000015410-Sound-System/dp/B004I44EVA/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1420324685&sr=1-8&keywords=TDK+%22Life+on+Record%22

So far the standouts for IOS8 Music appps I use are:

* Harmonic Dog MultiTrack DAW
http://www.harmonicdog.com/

This works very well on iPhone 6 Plus ! - I can record 24 bit @ 96kHz stereo tracks straight in from my Rode iXY Mic !
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13273.msg96993#msg96993

*  Yonac ToneStack  -
http://www.yonac.com/tonestack/
its amazing, and looses very little in the migration from iPad to iPhone and it has the lowest latency and best stereo  FX  of any of my IOS Guitar Amp /FX sims today. With careful tweaking the Yonac ToneStack Amps sims are very usable ( better sounding than my Eleven Rack! )

FWIW -  Positive Grid BIAS is not as impressive to me of late - even on the latest  / fastest IOS hardware on IOS 8, the BIAS/ Jamup Pro processing delay  LATENCY ( despite all settings) is very apparent and frankly distracting and annoying for real music , and the Positive Grid Mono FX in Jamup Pro tell me they are too focused on other apps and vaporware ( like the 14 month "late" BT-4 BlueTooth footcotroller) 

mbenigni

Welcome back!  I love my iPhone 6.

While we're back on the subject, it's worth checking out the latest Tapatalk update.  The "Timeline" tab is now an effective way to stay on top of VGuitar posts, provided you don't let them get too out of hand.  It only displays one page of recent posts, vs. the browser-based 10 pages.  (But you can set the number of posts per page - I'm presently seeing posts out to page 4 of what's in the browser.)