10 best Windows 8 Tablets

Started by Elantric, June 18, 2014, 06:27:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Many folks are considering using a Windows Tablet device as a possible method of deep editing and adding MIDI I/O control expansion to the Boss GP-10 and Boss GT-001 which both lack 5pin  DIN MIDI I/O jacks, but do have Windows 8 USB Audio/MIDI Drivers.   

Here is a recent March 2014  PC Mag Article comparing the top Windows 8 Tablet models here:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2417564,00.asp

Also a word of caution - There are far more Windows Tablets available today that are not on the list above that look affordable, but many run as incompatible OS called "Windows RT"  - since Roland is not delivering any Windows RT USB Drivers, (required for connectivity to your Roland device) you want to avoid all  "Windows RT"  Tablet PCs.

Since Roland also supplies Usb Audio Midi Drivers for OSX, an Apple Macbook or MacMini with remote display may also be employed as a possible method of deep editing and adding MIDI I/O control expansion to the Boss GP-10 and Boss GT-001. iPads are out of luck.

mbenigni

The other thing to consider with regards to Windows tablets - especially if you hope to use one on stage - is that the Windows editing apps etc. shipped by Roland and other device mfrs. will not likely be touch-friendly.  The legacy Windows desktop doesn't have any zooming/panning functionality out of the box, and many of these apps will be nearly useless without a mouse and a practical environment, i.e. a desk.  If you envision sticking your Windows tablet on a mic stand and editing GP-10 patches with a swipe of your finger, you'll probably have to develop some custom software of your own in advance.

It would be nice to see Roland deliver Modern UI versions of these editors, with good touchscreen designs for live use, but the market is such that they'd probably target iOS first.

mbenigni

And if anyone (including Roland) does deliver on an iOS GP10 editor, my new dream rig would be a GP10 and an iPad.  Minimal footswitching on the GP10; MIDI from iPad to GP10 for patch selection between banks and on-the-fly patch editing; MIDI from GP10 to iPad to drive softsynths; mix to FR.  That's a lot of fun for a reasonable amount of money, and almost nothing to carry.

P.S. I'll develop the GP10 editor myself if Roland sends the GP10 and the MIDI spec.  Like that would ever happen.  ;)

whippinpost91850

Quote from: mbenigni on June 18, 2014, 06:56:35 AM
And if anyone (including Roland) does deliver on an iOS GP10 editor, my new dream rig would be a GP10 and an iPad.  Minimal footswitching on the GP10; MIDI from iPad to GP10 for patch selection between banks and on-the-fly patch editing; MIDI from GP10 to iPad to drive softsynths; mix to FR.  That's a lot of fun for a reasonable amount of money, and almost nothing to carry.

P.S. I'll develop the GP10 editor myself if Roland sends the GP10 and the MIDI spec.  Like that would ever happen.  ;)
Mark, this does sound like it would be a great little compact rig. Paul

Elantric

We spiral back to the fact these new Roland/Boss products all require a USB Driver to connect to any computer - only options are Windows and Macs  - Since Roland has not delivered USB Audio Class Compliant mode of operation with their products - neither Boss GT-001 or Boss GP-10 can connect to an iPad ( or Android Tablet ) - so that kills the idea of creating an iPad Boss GP-10 Editor since the Boss GP-10 has zero options for iPad connectivity.

What we need is another small box that functions like Windows PC or Mac and can support an external 5 pin MIDI I/O or MIDI over Wifi to IOS devices.

It needs to have a couple USB ports  - One to connect the Boss GP-10 and run the Roland/Boss GP-10 USB Audio/MIDI Driver, and the other USB port connects to a  generic USB to  MIDI I/O cable. Windows MIDI-OX app allows you to reroute the Boss GP-10's MIDI over USB to the generic USB to  MIDI I/O cable. If its  Mac - then OSX has these MIDI Rerouting tools built in 

Now theres a worthwhile easter egg hunt on Google for us.

I have a spare 2007 WinXp Netbook that I might employ  for this task. And I have a MacMini which I run Splashtop Server, to then use and iPad as a remote display.

Splashtop Remote Desktop Supports Windows too - but I find I need a faster Windows machine than my old 2007 HP Mini 110 Atom based WinXP netbook   

mbenigni

Quote from: Elantric on June 18, 2014, 07:09:16 AM
We spiral back to the fact these new Roland/Boss products all require a USB Driver to connect to any computer - only options are Windows and Macs  - Since Roland has not delivered USB Audio Class Compliant mode of operation with their products - neither Boss GT-001 or Boss GP-10 can connect to an iPad ( or Android Tablet ) - so that kills the idea of creating an iPad Boss GP-10 Editor since the Boss GP-10 has zero options for iPad connectivity.

Oh right - the reason I didn't plan on this exact rig in the first place.  Sorry, early morning brain-fart.   ::)

Such a bummer, Roland...

Elantric

No worries  - Ive been there too !

mbenigni

Have we already ruled out the possibility that there's a pin-out for standard MIDI serial I/O somewhere inside the GP10, i.e. somewhere Roland skipped a 5-pin part in order to reduce costs?  That would make for an easy mod to resolve this problem.

I still cannot believe they omitted 5 pin and went with proprietary MIDI drivers all in one fell swoop... on a device whose primary differentiator from a bzillion other products is synth access... in a year when everybody who gives a crap about this sort of thing is carrying iPads on stage.

Elantric

QuoteHave we already ruled out the possibility that there's a pin-out for standard MIDI serial I/O somewhere inside the GP10,
Maybe we can hit up Bill Bax for these detaiis - the Roland UK folks are more friendly concerning Service Manuals - but Trust me this will not be available until 2015
QuoteHave we already ruled out the possibility that there's a pin-out for standard MIDI serial I/O somewhere inside the GP10, i.e. somewhere Roland skipped a 5-pin part in order to reduce costs?
In this pSOC ( Programmable System-On-Chip) reduced parts world of hardware design and penny pinching bean counters I doubt this exists.

( Remember the Boss GP-10 is designed by the same team that developed the Boss GR-D and GR-S and Boss GP-10 employs a One chip pSOC running  eCROS OS (its buried as a notice in the Boss GP-10 Owners manual )
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7250.0

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7250.msg56069#msg56069
QuoteThis product contains eCROS integrated software platform of eSOL Co.,Ltd. eCROS is a trademark of eSOL Co., Ltd. in Japan.
http://www.esol.com/company/

http://www.esol.com

http://www.esol.co.jp

http://www.esol.com/embedded/prusb.html

We might get lucky, but after taking the GP-10 apart,  I doubt we find  "J10  - MIDI I/O Test header"  - but this is the first thing  I intend to do upon Boss GP-10 delivery next month.

mbenigni

QuoteWe might get lucky, but after taking the GP-10 apart,  I doubt we find  "J10  - MIDI I/O Test header"  - but this is the first thing  I intend to do upon Boss GP-10 delivery next month.

Thanks, Steve.  Doesn't sound hopeful, but on the off-chance you find something, this would be a game-changer for me.  Out of the box, I think the GP10 is really cool on its own merits, but I just can't see a practical way to incorporate it in a broader rig or perform with it.

I still wish I could find a service manual to help me sort out the problems I'm having with my reduced-footprint GR55 - that's probably a more realistic aim than making the GP10 work for me.

Elantric

I still cannot believe they omitted 5 pin and went with proprietary MIDI drivers all in one fell swoop... on a device whose primary differentiator from a bzillion other products is synth access... in a year when everybody who gives a crap about this sort of thing is carrying iPads on stage.

Agreed - Its like trying to sell a Fire Pumper Truck that by design can not attach to any municipal Fire Hydrant.

Ranks up there with other stories in one of my favorite books

mbenigni

Ha!  Just ordered a copy (for 15 cents!)   :)