GR-55 - U2-where the streets have no name

Started by gambero, April 13, 2013, 02:30:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gambero

Hi,
I'm looking for a patch for "where the streets have no name", I already checked the patches around but I can only find "With or with out you" and "..Mysterious way".
Is there anybody who could help me?
Thanks

Luca

Brent Flash

Neardark72

Hey guys,

First upload. A basic one, as still can't assign the CTL and the expression as I would like.. makes me want to bang my head on the wall.

I saw some request for this song and I thought that it would be an attempt that I could succeed. I think that there's only a few guys that uploads cover tones and I appreciate those who did. (and others that helps us throught our learning curve with this "hard to handle" tool.

So this attemps with two different way for the song. I think its quite decent for a first attempt.
"streets" with one delay guitar modulated
"streets1" with 2 delays (two different speed with left and right) with normal pick-ups (i use mid). Correct me if i'm wrong, but I think it's the way the Edge is playing the song in the studio.

I'd like to hear your comments about which one you prefer on this. I can't tell because they seem to sound differently if I play with headphones vs amp. I'm still green, so I need some advice on how to improve this.

The beginner in me will take your critics.

Enjoy

papabuss

THX for posting, neardark.

A good tutorial to play this song...
FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

papabuss

Neardark72

Quote from:  papabuss on March 14, 2014, 09:17:40 AM
Found some great stuff and a MP3 concerning The Edge Delays here:

http://www.amnesta.net/edge_delay/streets.html

Did you try the patches? What do you think? Thanks for the links as well, this should help others to play that song accurately.  :)

::) looks like I should have seen that link before I spent 4 hours figuring "streets1". It took me a while before i realized that there was more than one delay and started playing with the balance to try that option. This is by far, the hardest delay effect I had to find out.

papabuss

Neardark, yes I played your patches and found them very useful.
I also recognized that you activated your Normal pickup  to get the 'second channel' (I suppose you use a Strat).
Getting The Edge's delay settings 'to the point'  is a science of its own.
There were also some requests and solutions in this forum in the VG99 section in the last years.
Once again I can only recommend this site for 'U2 guitarists'
http://www.amnesta.net/edge_delay/

papabuss

P.S. Extract from the link above

Edge almost always has his delay times in tempo with the song. His favorite setting is '3/16', which is where the delay length is equal to 3 1/16th notes. This setting works very well if you're playing straight 1/8th notes, which Edge does often (such as 'Streets') since the 3/16th delay will fall in between the notes you play. It also adds depth to straight 1/16th note riffs (such as 'Pride').

If the song is 100 beats per minute (bpm), that means that there are 100 quarter (1/4) notes per minute. For example, at 100 bpm:
Each 1/4 note lasts exactly 600 milliseconds (600ms = 60 seconds / 100 bpm).
Each 1/16th note would last 150ms (150ms = 600ms / 4).
And a 3/16th note would last 450 ms (450ms = 150ms * 3).
Here's the simple 'shortcut' formulas for calculating the delay time when you know the tempo of the song:
1/16 = 15,000 / # of bpm.
3/16 = 45,000 / # of bpm <--- Edge's favorite setting!
  (Testing with the example above: 45,000 / 100 bpm = 450ms which matches the above calculation).
1/4 = 60,000 / # of bpm. (Edge rarely uses this)
These settings have only been used on one or two songs each:
1/3 of a quarter note triplet (= 1/6) = 40,000 / # of bpm ('Bullet', 'All I Want Is You' solo) <- this delay time sounds 'tense' and unsettling.
3/32 ('Crumbs from your table') = 22,500 / bpm (or half of 3/16).

Neardark72

Quote from:  papabuss on March 14, 2014, 11:50:46 AM
Neardark, yes I played your patches and found them very useful.
I also recognized that you activated your Normal pickup  to get the 'second channel' (I suppose you use a Strat).
Getting The Edge's delay settings 'to the point'  is a science of its own.
There were also some requests and solutions in this forum in the VG99 section in the last years.
Once again I can only recommend this site for 'U2 guitarists'
http://www.amnesta.net/edge_delay/

Good guess, but No i'm using an Ibanez RG series baritone (on my avatar). It has DiMardio pick-ups and the mid position makes it quite similar all toguether.

Thanks for the link.