IK Multimedia iLoud Portable Personal Studio Monitor

Started by myksara, November 10, 2013, 09:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myksara

Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,
MultiFX: Roland GR55, Zoom 1on, BOSS GT00
Loopers: Digitech trio+, Line 6 JM4
MIDI:, MAudio Axiom24 keyboard, Alesis IO Dock with iPad air 2

IK Obi

Elantric

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/iloud/

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry-clean/ik-multimedia-iloud-portable-personal-studio-monitor/

IK Multimedia iLoud Portable Personal Studio Monitor

By Jeremy Horwitz
Editor-in-Chief, iLounge (Google+)
Published: Tuesday, October 22, 2013
Category: Speakers - Bluetooth, Portable

As G-Project demonstrated with G-Boom earlier this year, it's possible to build an excellent portable four-driver Bluetooth speaker system for $100; many other companies have released alternatives with different industrial designs and features for anywhere from $100 to $300. So when IK Multimedia announced iLoud ($300) earlier this year, we were simultaneously intrigued and concerned. On one hand, first-time speaker makers historically haven't had a particularly great track record, as inexperience and manufacturing challenges too often combine to create all sorts of unexpected last-minute problems. But on the other hand, IK Multimedia has actually justified its "Musicians First" tagline by consistently delivering good to great prosumer and professional-grade iOS accessories for musicians. So the fact that iLoud continues the company's impressive roll isn't surprising; while it's not perfect, this new accessory is one of the best-sounding portable Bluetooth speakers we've tested.

Read more at http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry-clean/ik-multimedia-iloud-portable-personal-studio-monitor/#ZGl55f1rrK3HJC5V.99

Understanding iLoud's place in the current Bluetooth speaker universe requires a little background. Although the $300 wireless speaker market is presently defined by squat, brick-like speakers such as Jawbone's Big Jambox and its somewhat superior rival Braven 850 HD, portable iPod and iPhone speakers historically had taller profiles, enabling some developers to fit large audio drivers inside. iLoud returns to the classic form factor, with a 9.8" wide by 6.3" tall by 2.3" deep plastic chassis that reclines with a central fold-out foot to an expanded depth of 4". To put those numbers in context, iLoud's face has roughly the same dimensions as Apple's first four iPads, but it's six or seven times thicker and stands upright. While it's surprising that the only obvious metal in the exterior design is found in a red light-ringed swirled metal volume knob in the center, an iLoud logo below it, and a 1/4" guitar/mic port on the back, the unit doesn't feel or look cheap. That said, both the Jawbone and Braven designs are far more conspicuously metallic and fancy, if cosmetics and substantial weight are what you're looking for. iK includes a matching black wall charger with several feet of cabling, and a one-meter audio cable in each package.

Although the pithy name suggests that iLoud is merely an Apple device-ready boombox, the concept behind iLoud is actually to offer studio monitor-quality performance in a portable enclosure, a non-trivial engineering challenge. While it's easy to put four speakers inside of a plastic box for $100, making the speakers sound great—particularly when the box is small enough to toss into a backpack—isn't simple at all. From the front or side, you mightn't guess that IK's 3/4" tweeters and 3" full range drivers could outperform the slightly larger speakers and nearly twice as deep chassis found in G-Boom, but they do: iLoud demonstrates the difference that higher-end drivers and superior amplification can deliver when properly tuned. Additionally, IK's bi-amped 40-Watt amplification system is actually over twice as powerful as G-Boom's, and backed by a rechargeable battery promising 10 hours of normal volume use to G-Boom's 6; the run time notably drops to three hours at iLoud's small room-filling peak volume, making the wall adapter a better idea for use in this manner. The performance differences between iLoud and G-Boom aren't a shock given the huge price gulf between models, but they're indicative of what's possible when an developer doesn't have to make as many compromises to hit a low price point.
Sonically, iLoud is a really good-sounding speaker—a couple of steps above the Big Jambox, Braven 850 HD, and G-Boom, though in different ways. Listened to in isolation at normal volume levels, iLoud is very easy to enjoy without fussing with any settings: conspicuously detailed and balanced across the frequency range, presenting music with a pleasant sharpness that we'd call measured rather than clinical. Bass isn't overwhelming or deep, but it's there, controlled in a manner that audiophiles will appreciate. By contrast with the G-Boom—a system optimized for high-volume performance though entirely competent at normal volumes—iLoud is just a little louder, with noticeably better control over its drivers at all but its loudest levels of performance, where distortion becomes evident throughout the frequency range, and some fairly typical amplifier static becomes apparent. It's also markedly better in treble and clarity than the Big Jambox and Braven 850 HD, rendering songs with additional layers of apparent depth that make the same-priced speakers sound flat. While the differences between models aren't night and day profound, iLoud is the best of this bunch on sound; whether you're willing to pay

Beyond its superior portability, iLoud offers another reason for musicians to prefer it to rivals: the aforementioned rear guitar/mic port. This port works with the 1/4" guitar and pro microphones used by musicians, though in a different way than might be expected—like an iRig unit, it passes through the instrument input to the iOS device for processing with an app, rather than playing it through iLoud's speakers. Most users will have no need for this feature, but musicians may appreciate it.

The only other points worth making on iLoud relate to its user interface, specifically what's missing compared with other portable Bluetooth speakers. IK has kept the design simple from the front, with a volume knob that is as simple to use as twisting left or right, with the red power light flashing to indicate that it's as loud or quiet as it gets. While we would have preferred that IK integrate the power button into the knob rather than placing it on the back as a small on-off switch, this was likely done to reduce accidental power use when iLoud is tossed into a backpack. IK similarly placed Bluetooth pairing and mic/guitar gain knob controls on a small back panel, along with a small yellow power/charge light, power input, and audio input. Unlike many rivals, iLoud has no track control buttons or other iOS remote features, such as Siri activation, anywhere on the unit. There's also no speakerphone functionality, which is often though not universally found in Bluetooth speakers at this price point.

Overall, iLoud is a very good portable Bluetooth speaker—superior in audio quality and top volume level to similarly priced rivals, and equipped with musician-specific benefits, though offset a little by its substantially plastic body, somewhat spartan interface, and controlled rather than deep bass. Just as IK Multimedia suggests, it is ideally suited to musicians and audiophile listeners who prize sonic accuracy and want something that can become quite loud when necessary; it will be less appealing to users looking for a fashionable speaker, speakerphone, or option with deep, booming bass. It's worthy of our strong general recommendation and B+ rating.
Read more at http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry-clean/ik-multimedia-iloud-portable-personal-studio-monitor/#ZGl55f1rrK3HJC5V.99

Elantric

http://www.loopinsight.com/2013/11/07/review-ik-multimedias-iloud/

IK Multimedia  Bob • 17 days ago ?
AmpliTube does not output over Bluetooth because of the latency introduced by Bluetooth. A good rule of thumb is Bluetooth for listening, plugging directly in for real-time performance or recording. You can plug directly in like Jim did with great results.
•Reply•Share ›

Bob  IK Multimedia • 17 days ago ?
Ahhh, thanks. That explains it.

I think I'll pass on this product as I already have the iRig HD (which is a great product BTW). Going back to the original iRig with this product seems like a step back.

Elantric

The early press releases for the IK Multimedia iLoud Portable Personal Studio Monitor implied that Bluetooth 4.0 allowed low latency for live guitar use.

But now that it is finally shipping, note IK Multimedia has revised that claim.

They now inform use Bluetooth only for listening to itunes, and wired 3.5mm TRS cable for live Guitar amplification use.

This matches my own independent IPad to Bluetooth 4.0 audio sender test using one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AEJJRBK/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lowest latency I experienced was around 150 milliseconds

Elantric

I got one of these recently  - (thanks to a sale at Woot.com)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3207.msg78176#msg78176
http://tech.woot.com/plus/ik-gadgets-ok
Ok - its not going to compete with a drummer nor work with most band situations - but it is loud enough to allow you show up with a VG-99 / GR-55/GP-10 at open mic night and set it on a chair and accompany a non amplified acoustic guitarist and upright bass or sit in with an all acoustic bluegrass jam (the Dobro might be louder;)  The Roland Cube Street is much louder SPL, and so is the Polk HitMaster - but the iLoud fits a special need and no "low end rattles" as occur with Roland Mobile Cube.

I like it because there times when doing LEad guitar overdubs in recording studio sessions that you want to have your own personal monitor - instead of strictly using the house headphones.

Elantric

Ive been working through my inventory of guitar processors and find excellent value in this IK iLoud speaker - it really is the only one in this product type that works very well with Guitar Modelers - and being battery powered it really helps give you a realty check on your tone, and is a great tool to help chase Ground loops.
( got mine during  a brief sale for $189)

I have to admit I'm enjoying using my Macbook+ RigKontrol3+ GuitarRig5+ - the integration of Rig Kontrol and being more productive with the hardware / software integration really shines.(which I had similar level of functionality with my iPad rig)  I used my Kensington Ground Isolator from the headphone out of the Rig Kontrol into the iLoud and could see myself showing up fro a jam anywhere and simply put a mic in front of the iLoud - and no need to plug into the AC and suffer Ground loops noise - Its liberating !

mbenigni

QuoteI have to admit I'm enjoying using my Macbook+ RigKontrol3+ GuitarRig5+ - the integration of Rig Kontrol and being more productive with the hardware / software integration really shines.(which I had similar level of functionality with my iPad rig)  I used my Kensington Ground Isolator from the headphone out of the Rig Kontrol into the iLoud and could see myself showing up fro a jam anywhere and simply put a mic in front of the iLoud - and no need to plug into the AC and suffer Ground loops noise - Its liberating !

My approach for years before getting lured in by various shiny hardware, beginning with the GR55 a couple of years ago.  Integration between Rig Kontrol and Guitar Rig is fantastic, but I could not get past the clunky switches NI chose for the build.  Devil's in the details.  :)

whippinpost91850

The $199 appears to be on the iLoud mini, not the bigger iLoud

Elantric

THANKS!

figures

I had not heard about the iLoud Mini  -@ only 12 watts its just another toy.

Smash

Got a deal on an iloud. It's reasonably loud. Sounds ok. Bass light. Might need burn in time.i think I'm not bonding with cos it reminds of NS10s which I've always hated lol! There again if you could get a mix to sound nice on NS10s it'll sound amazing on other speakers :)