VG-99 - Stearns Heart - auto seq. ambient patch inspired by Michael Stearns

Started by Smash, May 19, 2013, 11:41:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smash

Todd has really opened up my ears to this ambient stuff - especially the Ambicon posts so....

This patch was inspired by the opening part of Michael Stearns Ambicon 2013 performance. I love the repetitive sequence bass notes on that and came up with a way of automating trigger and freeze of the bass notes to a chord.

COSM A is dreamy nylon auto panned with 7th harmonies

COSM B is organ bass notes on low E and A only.

Once you hit harder than 100/127 input level, the freeze function will hold any bass note that drop below 100 and hold infdefinitely until the function is retriggered by anotehr peak in level, at which point it will hold whatever the bass note is at that time. In other word, to trigger the bass sequencer hit a chord hard-ish then play low to medium picking to play chords over it whilst it indefinitely holds.

I knowI could've assigned a pedal to manually hold but I wantedto try and automate it - you may have to tweek the freeze levels which are set in the CONTROL ASSIGN function.

EXP 1 is pitch bend set to -4 for chord sweeps at the end
EXP 2 is volume

CTL2 is drop D/normal tuning

How do you stop the bass once it's triggered - either go to a different patch or just mute low E and A and then hit top E hard - it will then "freeze" nothing.

Stearns heart? Because it sounds a bit like a heartbeat...

DEMO: (bass sequence triggered by chord a couple of bars in) https://soundcloud.com/smashmashups/sterns-heart-michael-stern

maxdaddy

stuey99

This is very clever and totally awesome.  I'll probably end up spending all night playing with it! 

JLA

aliensporebomb

I saved this one onto my VG before my performance Saturday - I'll probably break it out at some point! 
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

bassman4d521

long weekend coming up - will definitely be exploring this one! 

Radley

rolandvg99

To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner