VG-99 - "Spirit in the Sky" Fuzz

Started by concordal, June 24, 2013, 08:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

concordal

Can anyone help with a "Spirit in the Sky" patch? 

The Muff fuzz seems close enough for the underlying fuzz sound.  But on the the original recording there's a definite 'sputter' that really defines the main riff.  Sample from the original attached.   I messed with with Ring Mod, and Slicer, but neither gets that characteristic sputter sound.

Any suggestions appreciated.

musicman65

To me, it sounds like a distortion box run directly to console, perhaps mixed with a mic'd amp as well.

bd

aliensporebomb

Basically his guitar was a Fender Telecaster with a Arbiter Fuzz Face built into it so it was part of the song. 

The Big Muff Fuzz isn't the right kind of fuzz for the job - the Fuzz Face is although the VG version doesn't really sputter as much as some but you can get in the neighborhood.  So, single coil tele pickups, fuzz face and some bright sounding amplifier.  Not sure what he was using for amps but that should get you in the neighborhood.

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

rolandvg99

Not my best work, but maybe as a starter? I have too much drive.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

concordal

Many thanks, musican65, aliensporebomb and rolandvg99!  'll try all three suggestions!!

Much appreciated.

papabuss

A good solution rolandvg99. I think there are only minimal corrections needed.

Russell DaShiell's comment:

"I actually played the lead guitar parts on Spirit, using a 61-62 SG Les Paul, a 68 Marshall Plexi 100w half stack and a home-made overdrive box in front of the Marshall. Regarding the 'beep beeps' as I call them, when the producer asked me to play some fills in between the verses, as a joke I said how about something spacey like this and I did the pickup switch/string bending thing. I saw him stand up in the control booth and he said "that's it! let's record that!" so we did. (There was no slide involved, just my fingers, and I used the bridge humbucker and the pickup switch). The fuzz part is Norman with a built-in overdrive circuit built into his Tele pickguard."
"I've been asked a lot over the years how I did the 'beep beep' guitar parts on Spirit, so for any guitar players out there who would like to learn how, try the following: Using a 2-pickup Gibson, set the neck pickup volume to zero, bridge pickup volume to max, with the pickup switch in the middle position (with Gibson wiring this gives you silence in the middle position). Do a string bend, picking the B & E strings together with one hit, just ahead of the beat, then use the pickup switch to kick in the bridge pickup in triplets (6 per bar) as you let the B string bend down two frets."
"I mainly used two positions on Spirit, which is in the key of A. For the low position, fret a stationary C note (8th fret) on the E string while bending the B string up to an A note for your starting-position, then pick the two strings together once while the guitar is silent and work the pickup switch as you let the A note bend downwards to a G. For the high position, do the same thing at the 15th fret holding a stationary high G note on the E string while bending down from E to D on the B string."
"I must give credit to Jimi Hendrix as my inspiration for this technique (as well as for the double-string riffs I did at the beginning of the Spirit solo tail section). I saw him perform live in a small club in Madison, Wisconsin and loved the way he used his Strat pickup switch to create staccato feedback on songs like Voodoo Child. The difference is, on a Gibson you can start from silence and create the on/off effect, which worked well with the downward string bending thing I did on Spirit."

FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

Virtual Madness

Hey Guys,
It was Russell DaShiell who played the lead parts on this song.
Also, "Norman's comment" in papabuss's post should be "Russell's comment".

Trivia: The guys on this session were paid $50.00 each!

Just trying to keep things straight! :)
The greatest power in the universe is imagination!

papabuss

No problem, we can change this. Thx for the insider tip.  :)
It's just the comment you can find on WIKI.
FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

Elantric

QuoteIt was Russell DaShiell who played the lead parts on this song.

True  - and I'll add some trivia -  Russell DaShiell is aka "SpiritGuitar" and writes several Variax Workbench Tips & Tricks guides for Line 6 today.
QuoteSpiritguitar is singer/songwriter Russell DaShiell, best known for his lead guitar work on the million-selling hit "Spirit In The Sky". Check out his original music at spiritguitar.com.

http://fr.line6.com/news/general/142

whippinpost91850

Man, how do you guys know this stuff. ??? I love it.

musicman65

Google (and now the NSA) knows all! Adds new meaning to "the Spirit in the Sky", huh?

bd

aliensporebomb

Some of us are very obsessed about our favorite music to the point where we know stupid amounts of information about recordings or artists we enjoy.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Virtual Madness

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on June 25, 2013, 05:31:25 PM
Man, how do you guys know this stuff. ??? I love it.

Quote from: musicman65 on June 25, 2013, 06:04:29 PM
Google (and now the NSA) knows all! Adds new meaning to "the Spirit in the Sky", huh?

bd

Quote from: aliensporebomb on June 25, 2013, 07:38:25 PM
Some of us are very obsessed about our favorite music to the point where we know stupid amounts of information about recordings or artists we enjoy.

Actually, in this case, neither one of these apply.

I was a good friend, and bandmate of Dave Mason drummer Rick Jaeger and we had a get together/jam session with Rick's old friend and bandmate guitarist Lance Massey. They were both involved with the "Spirit In The Sky" session, and they were discussing it that day. That's where I got the info from.

Royce

whippinpost91850

Royce,That an awesome story and memory

Virtual Madness

EJROCKS

Concordal,  that sounds really good.  Can you upload the patch to share?   

concordal

ejrocks, I haven't found anything better than the suggestion above by rolandvg99.  (link: https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8897.msg63950#msg63950 )

The one and only change I'm contemplating is to use an expression pedal to control the amount of sputter.  That would be set to adjust rolandvg99's ingenious use of a vintage Bass amp.

EJROCKS

EJROCKS

I think I have a decent patch for this.  Now I just need to figure out how to upload a patch again.  Its been a while.  Any quick help would be appreciated.

concordal

It's easy, EJROCKS.  Just:
1.) save your patch (by exporting)
2. Hit Reply and
3) Under "Attachments and Other Options" browse to your patch

EJROCKS

cool,  I can do that.  How about making a MP3 to see if you like it?

EJROCKS

As soon as I can figure out how to make a mp3 I will upload the patch.  Its a bummer to me when a patch is loaded and you cant hear what its suppose to sound like.     Any tips are welcome.

Elantric

QuoteIts a bummer to me when a patch is loaded and you cant hear what its suppose to sound like.     Any tips are welcome.

Go to Youtube and search on the name of the song you are seeking - most are already there to listen to.

EJROCKS

actually I was asking how to record a mp3 of me playing the patch so anyone that wants to download it knows what it sounds like before they put it into the vg99.

Elantric

Quoteactually I was asking how to record a mp3 of me playing the patch so anyone that wants to download it knows what it sounds like before they put it into the vg99.
This is probably the easiest and cheapest method:
Audacity Audio Recorder / Editor
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/about/

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Or use a Zoom or Tascam Handheld recorder set to "MP3" as the audio file type.

Myself I use Soundforge.