VG-99 - Ukulele - patch requested on another thread.

Started by Brent Flash, July 07, 2008, 02:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brent Flash

Quote from: kneagle on July 04, 2008, 11:03:41 PM
Has anyone given a shot at a uke patch? I didn't find anything from a search on this forum. I like that sound like on "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" by Iz - from the movie "50 First Dates"

Thanks,
Ken

Here is a quick attempt at a Ukulele.

I keep forgetting that I use a string sensitivity of around 20 where a lot of members have theirs around 40. This may result in this patch clipping the EQ in the FX section. I have a lowered level patch below on reply #4 for those that have their string sensitivity set around 40. Let me know if these still don't work and I will adjust them.

Patch below.

tikok94

hi...what i must to doing to install patches???

Brent Flash

Quote from: tikok94 on July 16, 2008, 01:08:34 PM
hi...what i must to doing to install patches???
Open your editor and select File at the top left of your screen. Then select Import SMF. Select the patch and you are done.

kneagle

Brent -

I finally got a half a second to check out the patch. It distorts pretty bad on my setup (Brian Moore C90P.13). I saw the post on another thread about the VU meters, so I'll try to see what part of the chain is distorting.

Thanks,
Ken

Brent Flash

Quote from: kneagle on July 21, 2008, 08:53:54 AM
Brent -

I finally got a half a second to check out the patch. It distorts pretty bad on my setup (Brian Moore C90P.13). I saw the post on another thread about the VU meters, so I'll try to see what part of the chain is distorting.

Thanks,
Ken
Here is a fixed one.

kneagle

Quote from: Brent Flash on July 21, 2008, 09:02:07 AM
Here is a fixed one.

still distorts - I've been kinda jammed for time lately, but I'll dig into it this weekend and see if I can figure it out.

baranger1

The EQ level with in the COSM Guitar section was maxed out,overdriving things down the line.
The EQ in the FX was a tad high pushing the main output in the red.
I lowered these and it sounds clean and good.
Bill

Brent Flash

Thanks for doing that. The only thing is on my system I don't get any volume at all out of the patch you put up Bill. You guys must have your string sensitivity set way up there. Not that that is bad. It is just one more thing to consider when writing patches. I have brought this up before with other patches I wrote trying to get some feedback as to what was going on with other VG setups.

On my my main guitar setting I use a sensitivity of around 20. Any higher and I can hear the pickup distorting. For synth patch I can get away with them set around 40. This is with a GK-3 set up to the spec outlined in the manual.

If would be interesting to hear what settings most are using to see if there is a big difference between systems.

Like I said the first patch I put up on my system did not overdrive the FX EQ but it came close. The second patch I put up had about 4 dB headroom. And the one Bill put up has about 12 dB headroom. Of course this really messes with the volume of the patch and makes it unusable with my system.

baranger1

Brent,
I wrote the patch with the volume pedal down.
If you do not have a volume pedal connected it will be silent.
I re-did it with the volume pedal maxed.
Everyone should hear it now.

The EQ total gain in in the COSM Guitar section was maxed at 12db!
That pushed the fx section into the red here even with very low GK settings.

Bill

Brent Flash

Quote from: baranger1 on July 29, 2008, 10:20:39 AM
Brent,
I wrote the patch with the volume pedal down.
If you do not have a volume pedal connected it will be silent.
I re-did it with the volume pedal maxed.
Everyone should hear it now.

The EQ total gain in in the COSM Guitar section was maxed at 12db!
That pushed the fx section into the red here even with very low GK settings.
Bill
No, it's not the volume pedal. It's just way lower now that you lowered the EQ. If I bump my sensitivity up to my synth setting it gets a little better. That's why I was wondering what you guys are set at?

baranger1

I set my GK at around the 40 mark.
There are many sounds that work with levels from 10 to 90 so I change them all the time.

The Uke patch will sound softer as the guitar level was brought down 12 db.
It was clipping the next stage- FX EQ even at the 40 GK level.
There was now headroom left in the output section so I just raised the FX EQ overall gain up by 4 or 5 DB.
It now sits at the point right under the clip point.
It should be louder now but clean for most mid level GK settings.

GK levels will change the clip points and you are right I bet every body is all over the place as far as that goes.
No way around it but to tell guys to watch for clipping with their GK settings ,especially if a patch is written near the top level wise .
Bill

kneagle

Quote from: Brent Flash on July 29, 2008, 10:04:02 AM
Thanks for doing that. The only thing is on my system I don't get any volume at all out of the patch you put up Bill. You guys must have your string sensitivity set way up there. Not that that is bad. It is just one more thing to consider when writing patches. I have brought this up before with other patches I wrote trying to get some feedback as to what was going on with other VG setups.

On my my main guitar setting I use a sensitivity of around 20. Any higher and I can hear the pickup distorting. For synth patch I can get away with them set around 40. This is with a GK-3 set up to the spec outlined in the manual.

If would be interesting to hear what settings most are using to see if there is a big difference between systems.

Like I said the first patch I put up on my system did not overdrive the FX EQ but it came close. The second patch I put up had about 4 dB headroom. And the one Bill put up has about 12 dB headroom. Of course this really messes with the volume of the patch and makes it unusable with my system.

Yo -

I'm playing a Brian Moore Custom Shop C90TP.13 - so I'm assuming it's an RMC p/u. I have strings 1-3 set to 20, and 4-6 set to 30. I'm sure Bill's right about different patches needing different settings - I've just been (alternately) too busy or too lazy to dial them in. You have to wonder - when we're downloading patches - do they really sound like the author intended, when playing on extremely varied setups. I think it is very helpful when folks post an MP3 along with the patch - the way you often do, Brent - so we know if our setup is in the same ballpark as the original intent. When I get the time/courage to put some up, I think I'll try to do that - just for comparison purposes.

Ken