Review: Electro-Harmonix HOG 2

Started by Rhcole, February 01, 2013, 01:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhcole

I didn't wait too long after the newest Harmonic Octave Generator by EH came out to pick one up. I used to own the HOG 1, and liked it a great deal... until I didn't.

My problem with the original HOG was that the polyphonic pitch shifting got on my nerves eventually. I like complex chords and intervals, and the HOG flat-out couldn't handle them, generating garbage can beat frequencies and ring modulator sounds on anything other than simple intervals. So, out it went.

The new HOG promised better algorithms for pitch conversion and the freeze function with a few of other minor changes such as a better preset programmer (optional). At nearly $500 street, it's a pretty big investment, but I sucked it up and bought one.

The short: pitch conversion is better but far from perfect. The freeze function is also cleaner and more useful. The HOG continues to offer a robust tool kit of tonal shaping possibilities.

The long: The HOG sounds very much like an organ for a guitar. When I had the original HOG, I plugged synthesizers and other inputs into it. Everything sounded pretty much the same, very organic (pun intended).
After I got the HOG 2 I plugged a guitar in directly and played through every interval and setting. The HOG allows you to stack multiple intervals at octaves above and below the original pitch, plus add select 5ths and 3rds. You can also use the HOG like a Digitech Whammy with the included foot pedal. It IS cleaner, and the voices sound slightly more rounded. Play a minor 7th chord though, and you'll hear beat frequencies warbling in the background. This polyphonic distortion is NOT a pleasant sound like tube distortion, it is a form of digital noise.  They noise is quieter than the original HOG and doesn't engage on all chords or voicings. EH gives you many frequency shaping tools to mask the noise, and you can also disguise it pretty well with additional outboard processing such as running the HOG through a leslie effect.

Beyond the basic voices, the HOG has a great array of processing tools, such as the filters, an envelope follower,  the new improved freeze function. and the greatly improved freeze plus gliss setting. This last setting allowed me to create other-worldly theremin and whistling effects by reducing the high frequencies of the input and blurring between notes as I played them. Very nice!

The bass settings on the HOG are also very good. To my ears, the higher frequency intervals (octave, 5th, 2nd octave, etc.) generate more digital noise than the bass voices of -1 octave and -2 octaves. I would not hesitate to use the HOG in fully poly mode for bass sounds.

Although the HOG sounds and acts like an organ generator for guitar, it is versatile enough to create a number of surprising effects. For example, I blended in a discreet 2nd octave up sound with a long attack using the envelope follower. Blended in at low volume, it made my Epiphone jazz box sound surprisingly like an acoustic guitar. If you are willing to experiment with the HOG and the included expression pedal, you might find any number of tonal recipes that are useful.

The HOG is not as powerful as a 13 pin guitar plugged into a VG-99 or GR-55- no way. But speaking of "no way", there is NO WAY I will ever even consider affixing a GR pickup onto collector guitars such as my beautiful Gretsch Country Club. So, if you like to explore advanced pitch and tonal possibilities using a regular guitar and cable, there is nothing else like the HOG on the market. Use it with good outboard processors and you may be amazed at how much fun you can have.

aliensporebomb

Thanks for the insightful review.  I tried the original POG and thought it had the organ thing down pretty well but the only HOG I ever saw in person was kept in a glass case like fine jewelry at one of the local music stores.  Cool.

Sounds like it could be cool for some things though and also for things other than guitar.

I also agree about the 13-pin stuff - there are some guitars I just don't want to carve up or put a wart on and others I can deal with it.  That Roland Ready Strat of mine has become a favorite just because it's a good guitar all by itself but I really don't want to put a GK3 on this:

Just don't want to.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Pin

I can understand not wanting to stick a GK3 on any decent guitar but what about using one of those pickup ring plates (there are other variations on the theme) I posted on here a few weeks ago? There is no need for any "sticky stuff" or "screw holes" on any guitar so far as I can see with the various GK mounting options available.