Boss GT100 / Orange Dark Terror Valve amp / 4 cable method -my experience

Started by conradkriel, March 03, 2015, 09:01:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

conradkriel

Hi Guys

This forum and its users have been really good to me so allow me to RECIPROCATE by sharing my experience (so far) of using an ORANGE dark terror with a BOSS GT100 via the 4 cable method.

I recently purchased my FIRST valve amp & speaker cab combination. Orange Dark Terror with an Orange PPC212 Open Backed cabinet (2 x Celestion Vintage 30 speakers in this baby!). I'm using an ESP Ltd with 81/85 EMG's. Important note - despite this set up I'm NOT a metalhead. I just LOVE HUGE BEEFY TONES:- Think Zep and black sabbath recorded tones   

I am using this in two ways:
1) Through the Boss GT100 using the 4 cable method and
2) Through an analogue pedalboard

The results are INCREDIBLE!!!!!!

The 4 cable method took some tweaking to achieve the right sound: Obvious things like: pedal order and matching the volume of the gt to the amp made a difference but the biggest tonal differences came from playing with the position of the noise gate and send/return block. I also found that ensuring the GT100 was on dual mode (even though the gt pre amps are off!) made a BIG difference to the sound. I have no understanding of how or why this works but it DOES! Lastly i found that matching the amp volume with the gt volume also made the sound more transparent. Got to say this was by luck and fiddling, as the send return volumes are both at 100)

I can tell you that the GT DOES change the tone of the valve amp. The Digital to analogue conversion process DEFINITELY compresses the sound. I ALMOST gave up on the 4 cable method (hence the reason why i took out my old analogue pedalboard) HOWEVER after a LOT of tweaking, i have finally got it to a point where the small tone loss is acceptable to MY ears I'm really picky). For me the tone loss had to be VERY small as the sound of a cranked valve amp, is simply too good, to compromise on. 

Another point to mention is how excellent a couple of the amp sims sound using this rig. I had planned on not using ANY GT Pre amp sims however i accidentally switched on the rectifier sims and was blown away! I tried a couple of the others and the ones which STAND OUT are the orange reverb and rectifiers (so far). The rest sound dull and lifeless (compared to the amp) 

I have also run the rig through my analogue pedal board and so far have added a behringer pedalboard / tuner / Boss NS2 noise suppressor / with Ch ours and delay to be added in the loop as i found the Boss DD3 was WAY to noisy upfront) I have ordered a EHX Nano signal pad to use as a "cleanish" rhythmn tone and will let you know how this analogue rig works out. So far I have two rigs FINALLY producing the sound i have heard in my head for 20 years but have NEVER been able to create!

Last suggestion GET YOURSELF A DECENT SPEAKER CABINET (if you do not already have one!) The difference in sound between this and my old celestion GT12 (in my Marshall Valvestate 8080w) is like driving a Ferrari compared to a mini!! Yes it is THAT drastic of a difference in sound

Hope this helps others

Cheers All   

gumtown

If the GT-100 is compressing your sound, the System Input Level is most likely too high.
Turn it back to -7dB and compare the results.
Too high signal going into the GT compresses the signal and makes the internal preamps less manageable.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

conradkriel

Thanks gumtown

I am at -7 on the input however I decided +4 on the output sounded better than the -4db setting. Do you think this could be compressing the sound?

Is the gt100 supposed to be completely transparent , even with the analogue to digital conversions?