Hello VG Forum ..

Started by PenderSound, February 20, 2017, 07:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PenderSound

Hello VG ether land.  A newby to this forum, and am really hoping to learn from the expertise of the pro's who post on this board.  I purchased a VG-99 several years ago and have yet to figure the thing out well enough to use it with confidence.  I just haven't been happy with the tone, and other quirks, and especially the complexity.  My goal is to be able to play gigs with a maximum of two guitars and have the sounds needed to cover the broad spectrum of music my band usually provides.  I need good tone, covering 12 string, electric, acoustic, alternative tuning, obtain punch on leads and sometimes even make my guitar sound like a uke or mandolin. 

Honesty, I have been so frustrated with my VG-99 and have often came to a place of giving up and selling the box.  The instructions read like Egyptian hieroglyphs and every time I dive into it I get led down a rabbit hole and just end up with bad tone.  Processes are so complex its hard to remember the sequences.  Does this sound familiar??  I continue to be pulled into the allure of having a powerful tool that will achieve my goal.  Help is all I can say, and through investing time on this forum and really trying to make the box work, I am honestly hoping I will learn to love and use this tool and make my guitar life a little bit easier and richer.

~ Pender

Brent Flash

Welcome to the group PenderSound!  :)

Brent Flash

Quote from: PenderSound on February 20, 2017, 07:25:44 PM
My goal is to be able to play gigs with a maximum of two guitars and have the sounds needed to cover the broad spectrum of music my band usually provides.  I need good tone, covering 12 string, electric, acoustic, alternative tuning, obtain punch on leads and sometimes even make my guitar sound like a uke or mandolin. 
You have the right tool. I used it to do the same thing and used one guitar but I did have a backup. Here are some mp3 examples of what you can do. These are demos I did years ago and everything you hear except drums is coming out of the VG-99. No Uke or Mando but everything else you list + Synth.

PenderSound

Outstanding!  Thank you Brent.  Sounds amazing.  Man I hope to get the same result from my system.

If you don't mind, I have one question that has been daunting me for some time.  I starting out using the Roland divided pickup technology with a Roland VGA-7 amp, but stopped using it because the distortion sounded like a swarm of gnat flies and the sustain was nonsustaining.  But, still I am using my original GK2A pickups with the VG-99, and no matter what I do the system is only picking up the divided pickup and not the humbucker(s) on my guitars.  That is, if I switch the GK2A to 'GUITAR' = no sound.  If I switch to 'MIX', only the divided pickup.  I would prefer to have a mix .. and used to have a mix with the VGA-7.  I have tried over and over with the system menu, function 'pickup', but no avail.

Any magic button that I am not seeing that may help here?  Thanks.

~ Pender

Brak(E)man

Have you tried the mix level in the Meny ?

MIX LEVEL
COSM GUITAR

0–100
NORMAL PU (Normal Pickup)

0–100
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Brent Flash

Quote from: PenderSound on February 20, 2017, 09:08:08 PM
But, still I am using my original GK2A pickups with the VG-99, and no matter what I do the system is only picking up the divided pickup and not the humbucker(s) on my guitars.  That is, if I switch the GK2A to 'GUITAR' = no sound.  If I switch to 'MIX', only the divided pickup.  I would prefer to have a mix .. and used to have a mix with the VGA-7.  I have tried over and over with the system menu, function 'pickup', but no avail.

Any magic button that I am not seeing that may help here?  Thanks.
There can be a few things that will keep your regular pickups from sounding. Most all VG-99 issues are addressed in this area of the forum https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=62.0 and the thread for NORMAL PICKUPs is here. https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=419.0. By the way there is no regular pickup sounds used in the demos above. All are using the GK3. Also when using Alternate tunings you don't want any regular pickup sound coming through. Let us know if this helps or if you have other questions.

Brent Flash

Quote from: PenderSound on February 20, 2017, 09:08:08 PM
Outstanding!  Thank you Brent.  Sounds amazing.  Man I hope to get the same result from my system.
The patches for all the sounds in the demos are in the VG-99 patch section by the way. It may take a little searching but they are all there.

Elantric