Newb from St Louis MO

Started by Sixstringretard, February 18, 2017, 06:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixstringretard

Several years ago I quit using pedals altogether and have been playing a Gibson L-4 CES through a Blackheart Handsome Devil for the last 5 years playing in an original funk/Rock/groove band. I back the neck pickup volume off about halfway so I have fairly clean, dirty and full on nasty with my 3 way pickup switch. The amp is set neutral on all tone, gain at 8 and then I control overall loudness with the volume knob, that's it! I constantly get compliments on my sound and get asked how I get these sounds with no effects, LOL!

I'm 51 years old and have been playing in bands since I was a kid. I've done the cover band scene with top 40, pop and blues, have done the original thing in many iterations from blues to metal and have been enjoying this funk/rock/groove band. I recently was asked to audition for a funk/groove/r&b half cover half original band and was interested! I've been doing all original music for so long not making any money and thought it'd be fun not thinking about my no pedal playing, LOL! The first question I was asked is if I at least had a wah pedal...No...

Last pedal I owned was a multi unit (can't remember which one) so that's what I figured I'd go back to. While doing some research I ran across the GR-55 and decided that that's what I need, it does everything, WOW and HOLY S$&T! Found a great deal on a barely used one on Reverb for $540 shipped to my door, yay! Instantly excited with all of the possibilities and set up a few user presets so I could put it into use immediately at my next band practice.

Left my amp dialed flat, turned the volume all the way up so I could set overall loudness with the gain and it sounded awful! Way to thin on the guitar and just awful on pretty much anything else. Finished the night with my new magic box pushed to the side. Did some research here and found out I needed a FRFR amp and that solved the problem, yay!

I've now become overwhelmed with going through all of the presets and wondering why in the hell didn't Roland round up all of these soundscapes by category? There are only a couple banks that have any cohesive mix! Yes, I'll be customizing my presets and banking them for my preference but man, they sure could have made it easier if they would have not scattered so many sounds throughout. That's my introduction and rant, LOL!...Paul

chrish

Welcome. That preset thing is common on every synth or fx box that i've ever owned.Does make one wonder why they are always mixed up that way.