GR-55 - Video's, Video's and more Video's Please! for the GR-55

Started by RicardoLove, February 09, 2011, 12:33:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tepeti

Jack Thammarat (very good guitarist) with gr55 :

ddlooping

Welcome to the forum, tepeti, and thanks for the video. :)
Diaz Guitars (work in progress)

jochen

Quote from: tepeti on February 24, 2011, 01:20:32 PM
Jack Thammarat (very good guitarist) with gr55 :

Thanks for the video! Nice to see the 55 in this musical context.

RicardoLove

email: ricardolovemedia@gmail.com
demo web site: http://www.reverbnation.com/rlove
GR-55 demos http://www.soundcloud.com/ricardolove
For hire Music Producer/Remixer

RicardoLove

Thanks for the compliments guys! If your not tired of the GR-55 demos yet and want to hear more of how it sounds in a production the 1st 3 songs on my soundcloud are all GR-55 and the remaining ones are the GR-20 using VST's and real guitars (No VST's where used for the GR-55 demos) http://soundcloud.com/ricardolove

papabuss

FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

audiotrax

Jack Thammarat is my favorite new You Tube discovery.  What an inspiring guitar player!
Owner of: VG-88, GI-10, Cubase 5, Kontakt, SampleTank, var VSTI's, Roland JV1080.  Strat with GK-2A, two Roland GR500 analog guitar synths

polaris20

Quote from: jassy on February 20, 2011, 05:40:34 PM
Impressive how so few glitches are ther with all that "piano" playing.

That dude is incredible!! Someone should let him know about this place. He clearly knows how to set up a GR-55.

727lawrence

Quote from: audiotrax on February 27, 2011, 02:20:36 PM
Jack Thammarat is my favorite new You Tube discovery.  What an inspiring guitar player!
Yeah, this kid is the real deal. He has some great covers of Eric Johnson material, plus other stuff. He won some type of international contest, and well deserving!

Nokie

Quote from: RicardoLove on February 23, 2011, 06:08:34 AM
Yes I guess so, I was really happy with the Jazz Guitar sound especially when I heard it back on the recording.  If I can find some one to do that with a Nylon guitar model I'll be in Guitar Heaven!
I go along with the others, that is some great playin', Ricardo. Concerning the nylon guitar patch, you're right, it's not great when used with an electric guitar as the controller. I have found that going into the patch and dropping the tone setting helps, but ultimately, it's not the most convincing nylon string guitar sound.

When you use a nylon string guitar as your controller (I have the Carvin NS1), the nylon guitar patch is excellent! But then why do you need a nylon guitar patch with a nylon guitar? For the most part you don't but it is great for setting up alternate tunings that can be called up instantly. They sound excellent. You also get the same great jazz guitar tone using the L4 setting with the nylon string guitar. That's been my experience.
-Marty

brooster

Here's some more from kennisrussell. The first covers Cosm Acoustic sounds with some editing and the second covers Electric sounds with some editing.

Cosm Acoustic

Cosm Electric

audiotrax

You guys, check this GR-55 video out!  The player has simply slapped the GK pickup on his guitar, crookedly, AND in the wrong place (!) and the tracking is still spot on perfect. ( Halfway through it's falling off while he's playing it. ) :o  The sounds are really good too.  I think this is actually my favorite GR-55 demo yet - I'm sold.  I have got to get one of these things.

Owner of: VG-88, GI-10, Cubase 5, Kontakt, SampleTank, var VSTI's, Roland JV1080.  Strat with GK-2A, two Roland GR500 analog guitar synths

banditt11

geez just shows what you can get away with. I'll probably do the same when mine finally gets here the 15th ;D
Frank Betts
2012 American Strat
Gibson double cut faded guitar
Peavey Classic 30 tube amp
Peavey Bandit Special
ME-70 foot pedal
GR-55 Roland synth
www.frontcentermusician.blogspot.com

ddlooping

Quote from: banditt11 on March 03, 2011, 05:36:35 PM
... mine finally gets here the 15th ;D

Glad to hear it and welcome to the forum, Frank. :)

Kilgore

Other than the fact that the guy's playing sloppily, and he plays all the patches as if he's playing blues guitar (don't bend the keyboard patches!), this is a great demo.

Maybe that's what makes it a good demo.

ddlooping

Welcome to the forum, Kilgore. :)

You might be right.  ;D

papabuss

FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

RicardoLove

Quote from: Kilgore on March 03, 2011, 10:38:34 PM
Other than the fact that the guy's playing sloppily, and he plays all the patches as if he's playing blues guitar (don't bend the keyboard patches!), this is a great demo.

Maybe that's what makes it a good demo.

I can not stress enough the importance of playing the "right" playing style for the "right" patch.  Keyboard players understand this (or at least good ones). You don't pull up a horn sound and start strumming chords like your playing an acoustic guitar and you don't play really fast staccato notes for a patch designed to have a slow attack and long sustain.  All most no patch in the (PCM section) works well strummed like a regular guitar. Even on a acoustic guitar PCM sound your going have play a combination of clean down and ups strokes and finger picking really clean without stray notes flying every where.  A real guitar is somewhat forgiving to stray notes and can add a certain nuance or percussion effect. Pitch to midi conversion does not know what to do with those little stray clicks and un-attended open string notes you mistakenly played so it trys to translate it to a note but there is no "right" note to convert because you had to no correct intent for it in the 1st place. 

Would you pull up a drum kit and start doing a chicken scratch pick technique while playing your attended kick, snare, hat, tom and cymbal notes between? No! You play the notes precise, in time and only the drum sound you want to hit to create the over all beat.  You must look at all patches that way and it will even help your "old fashion" guitar playing.   You can see 10 year old videos of people including myself playing the patch in the style intended and it sounds great. (see Gundy on the old GR-33 and GR-20 demos) Now this technology is supposed to be an updated and better technology so why are videos coming out with worse performance? Answer: Bad technique and bad set up. (admittedly so Roland made a miss-step either not putting out an exclusive controller, having a installation video or some kind of auto settings software to make the pick up work almost any where installed within reason.)  It sends out a false advertising every time every time on of these so called "demo videos" are made.  It is a testiment on how not to play and set up.  The fact that some of you guys think this is a great video underscores to me how low your expectation of this technology is.  I expects it to deliverer near flawless chords and lead lines and sound like the instrument it was intended to sound like in the context it was intended.  Please listen to this old GR-20 demo playing traditional instruments. Now if your a serious jazz producer or critic you might be able to tell this is a midi guitar but no listener would say "that sounds so fake, flawed or not like the style it is intended"  HERE IS HOW MIDI GUITAR SHOULD BE PLAYED: http://soundcloud.com/ricardolove/one-man-band-on-a-midi-guitar (the 1st two songs on the same soundcloud page are the GR-55 but I wanted you to hear that song to make the point)

One more thing. Understand models guitars and other instruments can be played like your regular style with all the little clicks and pops that good guitarist even use as an added flavor. I love the sitar and banjo (with lots effects from the stock patch selection) they are highly expressive and I wish all the instruments responded as well. Yet few PCM respond that way...I would say the Wurly Ep and the flute (although it is a little temperamental)  No the limitations and techniques required to get an effect use for that patch. Approach it like a whole other instrument when playing PCM sounds and you'll be happy and wont give midi guitars a bad name.  Pitch to midi is fading and soon new technology will make all instrument sounds like PCM sounds. Most notable  laser tracking and the in fret sensor I see on the YouRock Guitar by Squire and Mad Cats. For now just plain USE THE DAMN THING RIGHT!

mat-chow

Oooooooooo laser tracking (taps fingertips together repeatedly)!!!!!!!!! Seriously though, fantastic post. I agree entirely, and I've only just gotten the GR-55 to a realm where I finally feel like guitar synth is working for me instead of against me lol.

Kilgore

Quote from: RicardoLove on March 04, 2011, 06:54:53 AM
The fact that some of you guys think this is a great video underscores to me how low your expectation of this technology is

I don't think you understand why this IS a good "demo".

Here is a clown who :
1: puts his GK-3 pickup in totally wrong place AND crooked
2: has to stop in the middle to adjust the pickup because it is falling off
3: plays sloppily and shreds badly
4: is picking notes using his index finger as a pick
5: is strumming and bending notes as if he's playing acoustic blues guitar using patches that cannot be played properly using typical rock guitar technique
6: does not have any idea how to adapt to properly perform on a guitar synthesizer
7: quite frankly, is a generally crappy player

Nevertheless, with all his crappy playing, the GR-55 keeps up with his crappiness. It's remarkable how relatively glitchfree the performance is. The only glitches are due to a great piece of gear in the hands of a terrible player.

The GR-55 shines in this video. The player, on the other hand, needs a good talking to.

BTW, I've been playing guitar for 38 years, have been a professional guitar instructor for 15 years, a professional engraver and transcriber for 10, and I own a VG-88 and a GR-33...and as soon as it finally arrives (sometime in April, Roland says), I will own a GR-55, and this particular video reassures me that I can't wait to get it into my hands.

Kilgore

...oh, and I moderated the Yahoo VG-8 Group for Aure Prochazka for years, so, yes, I do have a certain familiarity with VG and GR technology.

Kilgore

Quote from: ddlooping on March 04, 2011, 04:46:11 AM
Welcome to the forum, Kilgore. :)

You might be right.  ;D

Thanks, ddlooping....I've been lurking here for awhile. Now with the GR-55 release, I figured it was about time i joined up.

Masaniello

Quote from: Kilgore on March 04, 2011, 04:17:07 PM

Nevertheless, with all his crappy playing, the GR-55 keeps up with his crappiness. It's remarkable how relatively glitchfree the performance is. The only glitches are due to a great piece of gear in the hands of a terrible player.

The GR-55 shines in this video. The player, on the other hand, needs a good talking to.

Hello all,

this is exactly what I've understood ... with a poor technique you can obtain good things.
I have an Axon AX 50 and I'm quite satisfied but for every gig I need: guitar, PC, external soundcard, axon and an amplifier.
MMMmmmh too much cable to handle  :(

Of course I won't have my VST sounds but the idea to have a all-in-one tool for some gigs makes me happy ;D.

This is an old demo video I made for the ax 50
Once I'll receive my GR-55 I tell you if it tracks as well as my ax 50.

Ciao

RicardoLove

Quote from: Kilgore on March 04, 2011, 04:17:07 PM
I don't think you understand why this IS a good "demo".

Here is a clown who :
1: puts his GK-3 pickup in totally wrong place AND crooked
2: has to stop in the middle to adjust the pickup because it is falling off
3: plays sloppily and shreds badly
4: is picking notes using his index finger as a pick
5: is strumming and bending notes as if he's playing acoustic blues guitar using patches that cannot be played properly using typical rock guitar technique
6: does not have any idea how to adapt to properly perform on a guitar synthesizer
7: quite frankly, is a generally crappy player

BTW, I've been playing guitar for 38 years, have been a professional guitar instructor for 15 years, a professional engraver and transcriber for 10, and I own a VG-88 and a GR-33...and as soon as it finally arrives (sometime in April, Roland says), I will own a GR-55, and this particular video reassures me that I can't wait to get it into my hands.

OK I understand now however I doubt 99 percent of people that where thinking about buying the GR-55 that did not have all the VG, GR experience of you and I would be thinking "wow, this guys sounds crappy but I can play better and make this gear sound great"...but I got your point.  I feel like a Evangelist for the Guitar synth in general and videos like that are like somebody preaching the wrong "gospel" making us all look bad when I know the "glory of the true playing on the VG, GR"  ;D LOL  Got your point though and everything was true. 

Kilgore

Quote from: RicardoLove on March 05, 2011, 01:08:30 AM
OK I understand now however I doubt 99 percent of people that where thinking about buying the GR-55 that did not have all the VG, GR experience of you and I would be thinking "wow, this guys sounds crappy but I can play better and make this gear sound great"...but I got your point.  I feel like a Evangelist for the Guitar synth in general and videos like that are like somebody preaching the wrong "gospel" making us all look bad when I know the "glory of the true playing on the VG, GR"  ;D LOL  Got your point though and everyone was true.

Yeah, I felt that video was a great showcase for how good the GR-55 seems to be, and certainly not how it should be played. That guy was slop incarnate and still, the GR-55 held it's own, in spite of the guy's torture.

I totally agree with all the points you made about how guitar synthesizers should be approached. I guess the best way to think about that video is to say " Look! Even this yahoo can't make it glitch! Just imagine what it will sound like when put in the hands of someone who actually knows how to use it!"