GR-55 -Quarter tone scales

Started by zaknbou, January 13, 2014, 01:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaknbou

is there a way guys i can play scales with quarter tone tuning in GR-55 , that would be awesome with some sitar patch ...
hope anyone has a workaround for that ? thx

/Quote/
What are Quarter Tones ?

Many maqamat include notes that can be approximated with quarter tones, although they rarely are precise quarters falling exactly halfway between two semitones.  /Unquote/

Elantric

Only path i know is  by using GR-55  / VG-99 to trigger an external Tone module, with a Microtonal scale MIDI remapper  - these typical fool the external MIDI Tone module device / keyboard  / synth engine to play microntonality using pre-calibrated MIDI Pitch bend messages.
Some examples and references

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI_Tuning_Standard

QuoteThe precision pitch values may be used in microtonal music, just intonation, meantone temperament, or other alternative tunings. Software which supports MTS includes Scala, TiMidity++, alt-tuner, L'il Miss Scale Oven, Tune Smithy, Max Magic Microtuner, Gervill. Software plugin instruments which support MTS include Native Instruments FM8, Synthogy Ivory, and Xen-Arts' various xenharmonic VSTi plugins, including the FMTS FM synthesizer, Ivor virtual analog synthesizer, and XenFont SoundFont sample player.

http://algoart.com/help/artwonk4/MicroTone/microtone.htm

http://www.myriad-online.com/resources/docs/melody/english/microtone.htm

http://www.motu.com/products/software/ethno/microtuning.html

zaknbou

hey thanks for the reply

I found a workaround for it ..each time you hit the CTL button it detune the note 50cents ( quarter note ) which do the trick well  ;)

Elantric

Clever! thanks for posting the details on how to make this happen on GR-55 !

goldenstring

Hi there
Can u help me to get a quarter tones on gr55
Please if u can go step by step , i will be great full
Thnx

carlb

I can't help with step by step, but the general idea is as follows:

You will need an instrument with the Roland-specified 13-pin output from a hexaphonic pickup, such that each string can be processed individually.

On any of the VG-99, GR-55, or GP-10 units, setup a patch (or patches) that utilize one of the unit's control foot switches to lower a string (or a few strings) by 50 cent. This is possible because the alternate tuning controls have course (whole note) pitch shifting and fine (cent-based) pitch shifting available.

You might choose perhaps one string to be a quarter tone lower than the one adjacent to it, for instance. Or, you might choose it to be a standard interval away (perhaps a fourth or fifth western-scale element), but detuned by 50-cent. You would need to figure out which approach is most useful/intuitive to you based upon the song you wish to play.

When you play the instrument and want the quarter tones, you would hit the control foot switch. You could either setup the control foot switch to toggle so that the quarter-tone tuning is active until you next press the control foot switch, or, you could setup the control foot switch to be momentary so that the quarter-tone tuning is active only for so long as you have the control foot switch pressed.

I hope this is helpful. Read about "Controls" first, to see how to implement the above. They are more simple to learn than "Assigns," however sometimes "Assigns" must be used because of the enhanced flexibility that they provide. Information on "Controls" and "Assigns" programming for Roland/Boss devices is available on this website (textually, and use the search feature), or on youtube (for video demonstrations of the same).

By the way, if you don't already have any of the VG-99, GR-55, or GP-10:

1) The VG-99 seems to have the least "unwanted artifacts" when pitch-shifting. It is also the most versatile and powerful of the three. But it has been out of production, you would have to find a used one for sale (eBay, etc.)
2) The GR-55 probably about the same for "unwanted artifacts" when pitch-shifting: not as good as the VG-99. The GR-55 has PCM "recordings" internally of pianos, saxophones, etc., which can be triggered reasonably well as long as you're careful with your fingering and plucking.
3) All three units offer modeling of various instruments, including even a sitar. Of the three units, the general consensus is the that GP-10 has the best modeled instrument sounds. This makes sense, it is the newest and benefits from processor and DSP algorithm upgrades.
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

Mauri60

Quote from: goldenstring on May 01, 2017, 03:29:00 AM
Hi there
Can u help me to get a quarter tones on gr55
Please if u can go step by step , i will be great full
Thnx
Hi goldenstring
i answer also at your PM but sadly i read message on mobile so i don't read entire message :)
You have a GR55 right ?
so you proceed to create a new assign that follows picture schema , you may be able to obtain what you're searching for.
first select your patch.
edit and go to assign strip.
look at pic and copy example
save and listen if you have what you need.
bye
Nothing is impossible,if someone else will do for you.

goldenstring

Thnx mate
Really help't.