VG-99 FX - creating an Edge-style delay?

Started by karma1, June 28, 2009, 03:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karma1

Does anybody have any settings or advice on how to create a classic 80's Edge style delay (U2)?
Something like "Where The Streets Have No Name". I believe it requires two delays at different settings, but not sure what they are. Are there any presets on the VG99 that already have that kind of sound? If so I haven't come across them, but I'm still pretty new with the unit. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

sixeight

I made a few Edge patches the other day. The one with the Hi-pad is inspired by the next video:

billabong17

Just come across these patches. Great job!

aliensporebomb

The video shows the shimmer effect that is pretty popular in about a million youtube videos.

The VG can do it but there are two effects paths involved:
Path A:  Compressor, clean tone guitar, chorus and delay for the straight guitar sound.
That's pretty easy - you can use whatever pickup or guitar type you want.  If you want U2 well, pick a guitar type, maybe
single coil pickup and choose an AC30 for the amp type.

B:  Here's where it gets complicated:  compressor/harmonizer/delay/plate reverb
The harmonizer/delay works by treating each note by harmonizing the delay an octave higher than the original note, then the next
delay is two octaves higher, the next is three and after that plate reverb.  It makes the sound constantly shift which is what creates the swelling. 

See this link to hear one of the engineers on the actual record talk about how Eno came up with that sound:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-kevin-killen/107676-u2-shimmer-effect-4th-july.html

See below for my take on the shimmer on the VG-99:
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

fbwh

Hey thanx sixeight,

maybe it's my amps (I run 2 x AER domino) but those patches both had too much gain for an Edge sound, I found I got much more the tone by backing some of the gain on the guitar amp setting.

FBWH
Certified Guitar Addict

sixeight

I probably have my GK pickup less hot than you have. That will make the difference in sound. Also the Edge's guitars are less clean than I though for a long time...

aliensporebomb

I was messing around with the VG tonight and used one of six eights patches (he uploaded a bunch and one of them was a vox tele setup) to make a new one - one side is a clean tele with little reverb, the other side is something the edge might have had in his set-up for his shimmer sound but the VG is much smoother than some of the FX units that do this effect.  Like buttah on the VG!

You can play around with it if you like.  Playing single notes makes me feel like I'm in the hall of the mountain king!  Use the A-B expression to balance your guitar to valhalla ratio!

Practus

Hey guys, how are you?

Sorry for ressurecting this topic...

I'm a owner of a GR-55, and I'm trying to replicate this Shimmer patch in GR-55 but I'm unable to translate properly effects and parameters from this patch (opened in the VG-99 editor) to GR-55 standards... I've created a topic in the GR-55 forum about this asking if anyone has already done that or if anyone is able to help me do that, and I thought it would be a good idea also to check here if anyone knows how-to or already did this.. Any advices will be very much appreciated...

Thanks a lot,
Red Ibanez RG150 (with GK-3 and Fernandes Sustainer FSK-101)
Honey Burst Epiphone LP Standard
Black Fender Standard Strat "a la Blackie"
POD HD500
GR-55
FRFR KRK Rokit 5 Monitors

sixeight

Hi Practus,

I do not own the GR55, so I am unable to build the patch for you. On the VG99 it is basically one channel with Tele, amp and delay. The first channel is the shimmer fx which is basically a pitched up brass synth through lots of reverb (no direct sound only reverb), phaser and the slow gear effect, which you could simulate with the volume pedal.

Use your regular mag input for the delay guitar and the virtual guitar for the shimmer. Not sure if routing of Fx gives you enough options on the GR55...

aliensporebomb

Quote from: Practus on October 02, 2013, 01:47:06 PM
Hey guys, how are you?

Sorry for ressurecting this topic...

I'm a owner of a GR-55, and I'm trying to replicate this Shimmer patch in GR-55 but I'm unable to translate properly effects and parameters from this patch (opened in the VG-99 editor) to GR-55 standards... I've created a topic in the GR-55 forum about this asking if anyone has already done that or if anyone is able to help me do that, and I thought it would be a good idea also to check here if anyone knows how-to or already did this.. Any advices will be very much appreciated...

Thanks a lot,

My latest VG-99 Shimmer is this sound:

It's basically two parallel signal paths. 

Because the GR-55 doesn't let you do some of the same types of pitch transposition (no pitch transposing 12-string models) you might have to get creative on how the shimmer part is accomplished.   

The clean part I already talked about in the other post.
The shimmer part is compression / pitch shift / mod-delay.

But to REALLY get to the bottom of it read this thread:
http://www.ehx.com/forums/viewthread/2328/

Bill Ruppert is well versed in these effects units and explains the process quite well.  The problem is translating the EHX effects terminology to the Roland effects terminology. 

Practus

Quote from: sixeight on October 03, 2013, 09:02:35 AM
Hi Practus,

I do not own the GR55, so I am unable to build the patch for you. On the VG99 it is basically one channel with Tele, amp and delay. The first channel is the shimmer fx which is basically a pitched up brass synth through lots of reverb (no direct sound only reverb), phaser and the slow gear effect, which you could simulate with the volume pedal.

Use your regular mag input for the delay guitar and the virtual guitar for the shimmer. Not sure if routing of Fx gives you enough options on the GR55...

Hey sixeight,

Thanks for the reply... Your post, along with all the others from this thread and the one in th GR-55 sub-forum, gave me very good ideas on where to start. Now I'm trying to translate/adapt bits and pieces of everything you guys suggested to see if I'm able to create that sound for the GR-55. As soon as I get anywhere near I'll make sure to post in that forum, also letting you guys (from here) know about it too.

Quote from: aliensporebomb on October 03, 2013, 05:08:34 PM
My latest VG-99 Shimmer is this sound:

Thanks for your post here and on the other forum as well. I already saw that article from my earlier searches on the VGuitar Forum as a whole, but as you said, the challenge is translating EHX terminology to Roland's.
Red Ibanez RG150 (with GK-3 and Fernandes Sustainer FSK-101)
Honey Burst Epiphone LP Standard
Black Fender Standard Strat "a la Blackie"
POD HD500
GR-55
FRFR KRK Rokit 5 Monitors