Roland CUBE-80XL

Started by mikelara, December 31, 2011, 08:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marcelcarvalho

Has anyone tryed the Roland AC 33 or AC 60?

atonal

I haven't commented on this conversation for awhile But have had my Qsc kw122 for at least three months and I'am still in love with it,the gr55 sounds amazing whether your using it for the pcm sounds or modelled amp/guitar patches .Currently I'm running the gr55 mono into a behringer mixer to the qsc and taking the guitar out into a line6 m13 into my 68 dlx reverb or carr rambler then blending in the m13 when called for..My search is over for now as this has been a tonal nirvana for me.In the future another qsc kw112 for a complete stereo setup but spending my time enjoying creating new sounds and being inspired to write new material and haven't really delved into the gr55 editor yet but thats just around the corner,only so many hours in the day!!!!Wishing you all your tonal nirvana!!!!

Werkshop

I've been hearing about modeling combo amps that can handle the GR-55, VG-99, and similar products, as well as guitar tones (obviously). The Cube and Vypyr were the two I've seen mentioned most.

Has anyone tried either (or both) of these? Opinions?

Bonus question: How would an acoustic combo amp or powered speakers compare to these--for example, the Behringer Ultracoustic ACX900, ACX1800, or Mackie Thump TH-15A?

Werkshop

Anyone? I'm going to be making a big investment soon and although I know the choice is ultimately mine, I want a second, general opinion on what will work and what will not.

datsunrobbie

Sorry, I don't have any of the amps you have mentioned. You have found the forum section on amps - reading through it all will give you a wealth of knowledge. The general consensus is a full range/flat response amp is preferable to a guitar amp. Beyond that opinions vary widely - everyone's ears are different. The Roland Cube-80XL has received good reviews. The Traynor K4 seems to vary by individual amp. I like the ZT Lunchbox and Roland VGA-7. Some folks run just one amp, others run separate amps for guitar and PCM tones.

If at all possible, try it before you buy it. You really won't know what works for you until you hear it. And if you are like some of us, expect that you will feel the need to try another amp in a few months, because even when everything sounds great there is always the possibility it would sound better if I bought one of these....

Elantric

QuoteI've been scouring this whole website for the info I need, but it's not here (yet),

Learn how to use search here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2978.0

bbob

Quote from:  Werkshop on July 05, 2012, 07:42:47 PM
Anyone? I'm going to be making a big investment soon and although I know the choice is ultimately mine, I want a second, general opinion on what will work and what will not.

The Telecaster forum has a very active AMP sub-forum.

You might try posting over there.

http://www.tdpri.com

Bob

Werkshop

Quote from:  Elantric on July 06, 2012, 11:45:48 AM

Learn how to use search here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2978.0

Elantric, I'm no tech-dummy, and I've been utilizing the search bar, and from the knowledge I've gained from that, I'm now aware that both amps will work for what I want, but I was looking for more-or-less a direct comparison to each other in terms of sound quality. I'm going to have a LOT of money wrapped up into this, so I just want to make the right choice. I hope you can respect that.

I would LOVE to just waltz on into a music shop and spend a few days trying them all out; however, the nearest Guitar Center is a couple hours away from where I live, so I'd like to at least have a narrowed-down selection when I phone in my requests to them.

Just to alleviate some doubts, you CAN call into Guitar Center and request they stock the store with a product you want to try, correct?

Elantric

QuoteJust to alleviate some doubts, you CAN call into Guitar Center and request they stock the store with a product you want to try, correct?

Not in my experience  or planet .

Where have you shopped for your current gear?

I buy 90% of my gear online or ebay - because the nearest decent music store is a 2 hour drive away, so I'm used to buying and selling on Ebay.

I think you are going to have to accept that there may be some trial and error involved in determining the best amp for you.

I'm fortunate I can own several different types - as needed for the type of gig I'm playing.

Its the nature of this scene - In my 40 years of playing guitar, I have accepted that there will never be the: Perfect Guitar or the Perfect Amp.

Or "end all  / be all - Last Amp or Guitar I'll ever need"

Maybe its best to answer these questions:

What type Guitar , FX, Amp do you currently use - or considered your favorites.

What style of music you play? What guitarists do you admire or wish to obtain their style or sounds?

Are you playing Solo - or in a Band?

Where do you want to perform?

Then depending on your answers, we all can suggest a few amps that may be appropriate for your needs -

Elantric

QuoteJust for everyone's information, I'll share my list of possible choices (thus far).

1. Roland CUBE-80XL
2. Pair of Behringer EUROLIVE B208D's
3. Yamaha HS80M*
4. Mackie Thump TH-15A*
5. A lto (why censored?) TS115A*
6. Roland KC-350
7. Pair of Used Roland KC-300's
8. QSC K12 (probably not, but MAYBE...)
9. Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

* = Might get a pair, might not.

Any thoughts?

From that list - these are the preference - in this order

1. QSC K12 (cant go wrong - and have excellent resale value if you hate them)
2 EVM ELX112p (low cost alternative to QSC K12)
    Good review here: https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5698.0

4. Roland CUBE-80XL ( I own two, and these work very well for me, but note they lack the ultra high frequency definition featured in the above choices)

5. Roland KC-350 (needs upgraded speakers, stock speakers are lacking)
6. Pair of Used Roland KC-300's (with upgraded speakers)
7. alto TS115A ( good reviews and "bang for buck" value

Avoid:
The Behringer B208D - these flop a lot on the low end.

Yamaha HS80M (OK for bedroom levels but will not cut it with a live drummer)

Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 (neither flat response,  nor clean headroom) 
Mackie Thump TH-15A

Werkshop

Quote from:  Elantric on July 06, 2012, 01:46:45 PM
From that list - these are the preference - in this order

1. QSC K12 (cant go wrong - and have excellent resale value if you hate them)
2 EVM ELX112p (low cost alternative to QSC K12)
    Good review here: https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5698.0

4. Roland CUBE-80XL ( I own two, and these work very well for me, but note they lack the ultra high frequency definition featured in the above choices)

5. Roland KC-350 (needs upgraded speakers, stock speakers are lacking)
6. Pair of Used Roland KC-300's (with upgraded speakers)
7. alto TS115A ( good reviews and "bang for buck" value

Avoid:
The Behringer B208D - these flop a lot on the low end.

Yamaha HS80M (OK for bedroom levels but will not cut it with a live drummer)

Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 (neither flat response,  nor clean headroom)

THANK YOU Elantric! This was EXACTLY what I was looking for. I understand there will be PLENTY of trial and error in my search for the "perfect" set-up, but these are the types of guidelines I needed. Just to be clear, the Peavey VYPYR Tube 60 has an AUX input that you can use for a flat input in the same way you would with a Roland CUBE 80XL. Would it still be an unwise choice? The reason I'm trying to push the VYPYR idea is because I'll most likely be trading-in my Peavey 6505+ to help afford all of this, and I'd still like a regular guitar amp to use with my other guitars. Do you think I would run into the same limited high-frequency issues that you experienced with the CUBE?

Also, to answer the questions above:

1. I've only shopped from Guitar Center or Musician's Friend because I can use their promotional offers (no interest for a year) on their credit cards.

2. This is going to be my first experience with modeling/synth pedals, which is why I have so many questions. My current gear is a Peavey 6505+, ESP LTD-EC1000 (The sunburst one with Seymour Duncans), Epiphone SG Prophecy EX, iSP Decimator, Ibanez Weeping Demon WD7, Ibanez TS808 Tubescreamer, Boss DD-7, MXR M-108 Ten-band EQ, and a BOSS RC-20XL loop station.

3. I play damn near EVERYTHING. From acoustic, to indie, to folk, to rock, to metal, to electronic, to ambient, to psychedelic, etc... I also have many favorites. I admire (don't laugh) John Mayer, Joe Satriani, Jimi Hendrix, Steve Vai, B.B. King, Andy McKee, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Willie Adler, Mark Morton, Alex Hutchings, Randy Rhoads, David Gilmour, Jimmy Page, Yngwie Malmsteem, Alexi Laiho, Eric Clapton, Carlos Santana, Kerry King, Jeff Beck, Kurt Cobain, Kirk Hammett, "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott, Keith Richards, Dave Murray, Fredrik Thordenal, Gus G, Tony Iommi, Tom Morello, Zakk Wylde, Daron Malakian, and John Petrucci. And that's just all I can think of at the moment. :P

4. I'm mostly playing solo, but every now and then I'll play with a band.

5. I play mainly in my own home, but every now and then (maybe once a month) I'll go to a small bar or by the docks.

Hopefully that helps!

Elantric

I still vote for the Cube 80 XL

- its built like a tank, and LOUD! It easily holds it own - I could play anywhere with this amp. Even if the other guitarist had a Marshall Stack, the Cube 80XL would still cut through.

I should state at 2012 Winter NAMM, Roland used several Cube 80 XL's as amplification systems to demo GR-55, and GT-100 

I use a custom Cube 80XL Footpedal - similar to this:

http://www.brightonion.co.uk/products/Cube-40%7B47%7D80XL-Footswitch.html

I use a remote foot switch and get four different sounds with the Cube80 XL
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6471.0

#1 JC Clean channel

#2 JC Clean with Solo Boost

#3 COSM Lead

#4 COSM Lead with Solo Boost

Re read the Cube 80XL manual
http://cdn.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/CUBE-40_80XL_OM.pdf

SOLO FUNCTION
This lets you save the panel settings for sounds you create (such as amp type, gain, equalizer, and various effects) and call them up later.
On the CUBE-40XL/CUBE-80XL, this function is called "SOLO."
The SOLO function is handy in situations like these:
When you want to switch the amp type and effect at the same time.
When you want to switch the equalizer settings and volume level at the same time.
You can store one setting each for the JC CLEAN channel and for the LEAD channel.
SOLO [ON/OFF] Switch
This saves panel settings and calls up it.
[VOLUME] Knob
This adjusts the volume level for the called-up settings.
For information on how to use the SOLO function, refer to "Using the SOLO Function"(p. 12)

The on/off state of the footswitch pedal takes precedence over the control panel for switching EFX, delay, or reverb on and off.
However, the on or off states of EFX, delay, or reverb stored in memory using the SOLO function take precedence when saved SOLO-function panel settings are called up. Such cases may result in conflicting indicator displays on the control panel and the footswitch pedal, but this is not a malfunction.

If you are using the GR-55 and HD500 you may consider a small mixer.

many types are out there -
Here's one:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=656634&Q=&is=REG&A=details

But for a real left field idea, I will occasionally use just the headphone Jack outputs of each of my GR-55, POD HD-500, and iPad and use 3.5mm cables  / adapters and feed all three above into one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00475K64E/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01
Belkin Rockstar Multi Headphone Splitter

Before you start laughing - realize there is more to Belkin Rockstar than meets the eye
It has internal resistors to establish a 5channel  passive Stereo Mixer.

Product Features

*   3.5mm headphone adapter splits line into five 3.5mm ports

* Mix music by connecting multiple sound sources at once

and feed the output of the Belkin Rockstar into the rear 3.5mm "MP3 / Aux Input" on the Cube 80 XL

Where else can you get a 5 channel Stereo Passive mixer for under $10 ?

The internal circuit of the Belkin Rockstar is very similar to this - but expanded to 5 Stereo inputs

Its works well for my needs. i simply use the output gain controls on each device (GR-55, POD HD-500, and iPad ) to establish my "Mix"

The Belkin Rockstar is great little passive mixer, and beer proof! a necessity at the clubs I perform.

The Cube 80 XL is a mono amp, but it accepts a stereo signal on the rear  3.5mm "MP3 / Aux Input" - and will mix it to mono.

Very easy setup and tear down. And it works alright for rock & roll.

Werkshop

Quote from:  Elantric on July 06, 2012, 03:14:26 PM
The Belkin Rockstar is great little passive mixer, and beer proof! a necessity at the clubs I perform.

...You had me at "beer proof";)

But in all seriousness, THANK YOU SO F***ING MUCH. This is EXACTLY the kind of beginner tutorial I was looking for, and now anytime someone tells me my set-up sounds great, I'll tell them they can thank Elantric from vGuitarForums!  :P

I'm still torn between the VYPYR and the CUBE, but either way, I'll be able to use it in the same way you've shown me. Now, I'm actually starting to lean more towards the CUBE because 1.) I'll be using the HD500 for most modeling anyways. 2.) (Hell, I'll admit it) because it's your recommendation. and 3.) The weight of it is NOTHING compared to the VYPYR! That fat SOB needs to cut a few pounds! They should rename the company from Peavey to Heavey...

I'll be sure to pick up a mixer, the Belkin Rockstar (cool little device!), and that footswitch while I'm at it!

I sincerely want to convince myself that "these will be the only things I'll EVER need again," but I know better, and sooner or later my GAS will kick in at full-force... Haha.

Once again, thank you SO MUCH for your help, time, and patience with my newbie ass. I'm sure I'll see you around here again sometime real soon!

I'll post some soundclips once I get everything purchased, set-up, and figured out. (So make that a few years.  ::))

See ya man!

Elantric

Vyper is an open back 12" cab

It will not have the same low end punch as the Cube 80 XL.

I used mine to open for Dick Dale last January, and the audience thought my Cube 80 XL cut through with a similar bottom end as Dick's Fender Showman with two  15" JBL D130Fs 

(that me on the far right with White Xavier JTM-100 guitar from GFS)

Also - since the Vyper is a Tube amp, the annual maintenance and cost of ownership will be be a bit more in the long run.
Ive been using the Roland Cube 60 and now Cube 80 XL for past 5 years with zero problems. Its grab and go and no worries.

And avoid confusion - there was a short lived Cube 80 X - which is not quite as good as the Cube 80 XL

Listen here if you doubt the Cube80XL's capabilities

You will have zero problems using Cube 80XL  - (but I cant say the same for the latest 2014 CubeGX) they "dumbed it down" and penny pinched and removed key important features - so look for a old stock  / gently used 2011 era Cube 80XL.

It works fine for GR-55 / VG-99 - the rear 3.5mm "MP3 Input" is my typical Input path (from headphone out on VG-99/GR-55).

QuoteCube 80XL has no XLR output.  Do you mic it or run the line out into a direct box, or ...?

When i play guitar I use 85% Guitar sounds  - so i use the CUBE80XL' rear "Line Out" jack to feed a DI box.

This features a "Cab Simulator" (see block diagram below)

http://www.roland.com/video/page.cfm?id=1125949618001

http://www.roland.com/video/page.cfm?id=1125949634001

http://www.roland.com/video/page.cfm?id=1125949648001

Werkshop

You opened for Dick Dale!? Dude... you keep getting cooler by the minute! 8)

And I don't mind having to replace the tubes. In fact, I was thinking tubes were a plus. Wouldn't they add a bit of warmth to my set-up?

I wish the VYPYR wasn't so damn cool! It's hard to say no to such a beastly-looking and great-sounding amp.

I just need to remind myself that the flashing lights and fang-shaped faceplate doesn't make it sound any better!

Oh, but another thing I was thinking would be a plus is that with the VYPYR, I could use the Sanpera II footswitch to blend the guitar sounds with the GR-55/POD HD500 sounds. ...Then again, with the Roland CUBE 80XL I suppose I could just use the volume knob... but what's the fun in that!?  ::)

Werkshop

I know I said I was going to leave you alone... but I lied.

I have ONE MORE question for you. I want to use the Roland CUBE, but I want to be able to switch it off. Is there some sort of stomp box kill switch, or perhaps something I could run both the guitar AND pedals into that would let me choose which signal I want to hear? Here's the general idea I have so far, correct me if something's wrong:

Is there something I could put beween (a. the gr-55 and the mixer, b.) the HD500 and the mixer, and c.) the guitar and the amp to mute them?

Toby Krebs

Find a used(preferably 2) Roland KC 300(150 dollars). Replace the 12 in speaker with an Eminence Delta 12A 400 watt driver(75 dollars). Change the lousy stock tweeter(12 dollars) . Used mine last nite at a country club gig with an acoustic guitarist-vocalist and female vocalist. Played jazz box-acoustic-nylon-telecaster-LP -string pads-Fender Rhodes etc....tones and backing tracks thru it.Pound for pound they are tough to beat.If you do decide to use the Peavey change the speaker(s) to Eminence Deltas. Just like an EV- 12ML but much cheaper. I put them in almost all my amps. For modelling tones you don't want speaker distortion just clean accurate reproduction.

Elantric

bbob

Quote from:  Elantric on July 06, 2012, 03:14:26 PM
But for a real left field idea, I will occasionally use just the headphone Jack outputs of each of my GR-55, POD HD-500, and iPad and use 3.5mm cables  / adapters and feed all three above into one of these:

Its works well for my needs. i simply use the output gain controls on each device (GR-55, POD HD-500, and iPad ) to establish my "Mix"

Elantric,

What do you use the iPad for in this setup?  Backing tracks, music between sets?

Thanks.

Bob

Elantric

QuoteWhat do you use the iPad for in this setup?  Backing tracks, music between sets?

Sure,all the above + I play some keys and reach over and play Green Onions using IPad App Organ Plus.

tekrytor

I'm also a cube fan, though I have only the Cube 30x. It's the amp I use most for practice and small gigs. I run my GR -55 headphone out into the Cube's AUX input.  If I need more bass, I just run the main GR-55 outputs to the mixer. It has less bass than the Cube 80 series. For louder occasions, I use either my old Peavy KB300 with a 15" Black Widow woofer and horn, or a pair of Barbetta's SONA 31 active 400W keyboard speakers with integrated mixers set atop stands (for my best sound, but more complex to set up). The Roland Cubes are SO easy and sound great IMO. So the Barbettas stay at home as studio monitors most of the time.

SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

Werkshop

Quote from: Toby Krebs on July 07, 2012, 05:54:11 AM
Find a used(preferably 2) Roland KC 300(150 dollars). Replace the 12 in speaker with an Eminence Delta 12A 400 watt driver(75 dollars). Change the lousy stock tweeter(12 dollars) . Used mine last nite at a country club gig with an acoustic guitarist-vocalist and female vocalist. Played jazz box-acoustic-nylon-telecaster-LP -string pads-Fender Rhodes etc....tones and backing tracks thru it.Pound for pound they are tough to beat.If you do decide to use the Peavey change the speaker(s) to Eminence Deltas. Just like an EV- 12ML but much cheaper. I put them in almost all my amps. For modelling tones you don't want speaker distortion just clean accurate reproduction.

Hey there again Toby. I really appreciate the unique suggestion. I've actually been eyeballing a pair of KC 300's on eBay, but the price is already at $405.00 with 3 and 1/2 days left... How much would you personally spend on them?

I've ruled out the Peavey, as 1.) as Elantric said, it's not as full-range and it won't have as much bass as the CUBE-80XL or an FRFR set-up. 2.) You need a skidloader to move the heavy bastard. and 3.) The POD HD500 amp and FX modeling is much better. It would be a redundant waste of money.

But I'll keep watching eBay and craigslist to see if something pops up. Otherwise, I'll probably end up going with the CUBE.

By the way, I updated my method of how I would run the rig if I get the CUBE.

Here it is:

Oh, and thanks for the extra reinforcement on the CUBE's, tekrytor.

Big Jim

I owned a vypyr 75 with the sanpara II pedal. Very unstable amp IMHO. Great sound, nice effects but faulty electronics. I had to reboot the thing at least 2 or 3 times a gig. Zero support from Peavey.

Werkshop

Funny you mention that Jim. I previously owned a VYPYR Tube 60 and it had the same issues where I had to reboot it... I want an amp, not a buggy computer. I've heard they've worked out all the issues, but still... it's enough to make me have second thoughts of re-purchasing that same amp.

At this point, I'm almost 99% dead-set on a Roland CUBE-80XL or a couple used KC-300's that I will modify (if I can find them).

Elantric

Werkshop,

There really are many ways to connect all that gear.

I suggest you try working with the GR-55 alone for a while to get the hang of it.

But if you are intent on getting a JTV-69+HD500+GR-55 and integrating it all, then perhaps those modified KB300 amps may work better for you. The KB300 / 350 has a nice mixer and it will be easier to isolate and troubleshoot the eventual GROUND LOOP problem which will surely exist in ALL of your suggested setups up to now. This will be an education for you to sort out. Trust me, the ground loop issue exists and there are many methods to tame it.

One method would be to establish the KC300 as the central Ground, and then use special 1/4" cables with their shields lifted at one end only - only as needed on a case by case basis. Outside this system these modified cables will not work. But within the confines of this multi-FX rig - where are Common AC power Strip is employed, some items will benefit using the custom "ground lift" cables  - yet still pass audio - due to path of  common AC Ground.

Also many of us use a Traynor K4 for this purpose too mostly due to the onboard mixer, and its ability to get loud and compete with a live drummer.

The style of music you play, and the volume of your Drummer will determine what type  / size amp you need 

Many powered PA cabs now also have built in 4 channel stereo mixers too , and those may be worth looking at.

The Cube 80XL  is still good - but might pose a problem when troubleshooting ground loops.

The Cube 80XL would work if all you had was the GR-55, but in your suggested setups - too much flexibility can actually be a bad thing. Remember every cable connection can become another source of potential problems at the gig , and you may have to hire a pro A/V installer to debug your ground loops  - they can be a battle to tame.