Going Old School - How the original Doctor Who theme was created

Started by shawnb, May 06, 2015, 09:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnb

Very interesting - and short - video on the creative process.   

Brings back memories...

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

gvidelock

Cool stuff.

My wife and I had just moved to Chicago in 1981 and we were staying in a hotel room watching the local public television station late on a Friday night and on comes this weird theme music and a bushy haired tall fellow in a long coat with a very, very long scarf...we were hooked!

We've since produced a new generation also in love with the Doctor, but theirs is David Tennant and ours was Tom Baker. We've all watched them as far back as we can get our hands on, although there are some Sylvester McCoy's I think we've missed.

Thanks for the vid.
-------------------------

Godin Spectrum SA
Godin Freeway SA
Fender Telecaster with Ghost and Hexpander
Fender Stratocaster with internal GK3 with Synth-Linx
Warmoth custom with internal GK3
Boss SY-1000
Roland GR-55
Roland GP-10
Katana 100W Head

DreamTheory

Most songs have three parts: rhythm, melody, and "twiddly bits" :)
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

Frankster

The Radiophonic Workshop did astonishing work with the most basic sound sources. This is a favourite of mine, made by twanging a ruler on a desk then speeding up and slowing down the tape to generate different notes which were sliced into note lengths with a razor blade then spliced together. UK television viewers above a certain age may recognise the closing bar as the stabs from John Craven's Newsround.

BobbyD

The only Genre of music I do NOT play is Country & Opera. I am sure there are a few other's but you get my point.

MusicOverGear

Very cool - never saw this one!

"Twiddly bits" LOL I've been saying this forever - don't know where I picked it up. That goes with "Weedily, Weedily" for a lots-of-notes guitar solo.

There a oodles of vids on YouTube on synth pioneers and the development of synths. I think the one called "What the Future Sounded Like" has lots of info on the BBC stuff. I wish I had made a playlist of my favorites to share - didn't occur to me at the time. I do remember that I found everything pretty directly through the recommended videos...

JolietJake

Quote from: BobbyD on May 31, 2015, 03:34:41 PM
The only Genre of music I do NOT play is Country & Opera. I am sure there are a few other's but you get my point.

That must be some weird ass music, I've heard of country & western, but not "country & opera".
????

DreamTheory

Quote from: JolietJake on June 01, 2015, 08:31:56 AM
That must be some weird ass music, I've heard of country & western, but not "country & opera".
????

electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

JolietJake

I stand corrected, and feel a little bit violated after watching that.  :o
I kind of like the feeling.....

HAMERMAN409

I really like the version Orbital does (as well as most of their other stuff).

Looks like it even gets approval from Doctor Who (Matt Smith) himself! :-)