OT (ish): Best set up for recording videos to post on youtube

Started by Smash, April 07, 2015, 10:21:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smash

just wondering what you guys use to do this. Previously I've used a DV camcorder and audio to PC recording then sync'd them in Pinnacle and rendered. More recently the same idea but using smart phone for the video instead.

The whole process is bloody clunky and when things aren't going well just adds to the stress!

I've read about webcams and using in conjunction with virtualdub which sounds the most cost effectively slick so far.

I really want to go video becasue largely my internet mates don't understand when i post a patch up what that actually means or that, yes, that really is me playing,lol!

Any ideas or thoughts?

Mrchevy

I'm not the expert by any means but if your DV recorder has a MIC input (likely an 1/8" mono) but may be stereo also, with the proper plug ends or adapters, you could go headphone out from your audio source (amp or pedal or mixing board), direct to the DV recorder mic/audio input. That would probably be the simplest way to do it.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

gumtown

The problem with phones and DV recorders is the over compression of the audio, especially at loud levels.
A DV recorder which has external mic inputs and no Auto Level Control (excessive compression).

Better if you can get a direct mixed sound recorded with the video, multi-track even better again,
but that also means syncing and rendering, as you are doing now.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Mrchevy

I'm curious, what version of Pinnacle are you using and how does it work for you? I used it years ago but found it troublesome and somewhat unstable. I switched to Cyberlink PowerDirector (v.8 at the time) and loved it. I may be upgrading due to the older version being difficult to work with AVCHD unless I convert it to a different format.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

Elantric

I suggest look at Sony Vegas

I turned Bill Ruppert onto Vegas , a few years ago, and I understand thats what he uses for his effectology videos

The beauty of Sony Vegas is its compatible with bulk of all A/V media types, without transcoding -just drag your files to the timeline, and align them up - lots of Vegas training media on YouTube today

But with todays SD Card based camcorders, you need to be running a relatively fast and high performance modern computer ( at minimum) an Intel i5 or i7 , 16GB RAM

And of course try to record your music  / FX demo with zero room mics - its always best to have multiple audio sources and toggle between any commentary mic and the "Direct" sound"
Watch any EHX Effectology Video and listen,  - you don't hear any hollow room ambient sound , or pick noise, or dry string sound under the FX - all typical when folks try to create an FX demo using their Skype setup.

You don't edit video with a Netbook, or an Intel Atom or i3 based computer without lofts of crashes or painfully slow rendering edited files

If you are new to Vegas - the best deal is start with Sony Movie Studio Suite - which includes more or less an older (yet still very capable) version of Vegas ( renamed "Movie Studio Platinum") and Sound Forge Audio Studio, and DVD Architect and other apps too (Acid Music) 

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudiopp
Satisfy your suite tooth
Movie Studio 13 Suite brings four impressive Sony® applications together to produce a complete multimedia experience. Create video in beautiful 4K XAVC S or AVCHD™, develop original music, and enhance multichannel audio. Take control of your own creativity and make movies that matter. Weave your ideas into high-quality videos that can be uploaded directly to YouTube™ and Facebook™ or burned to a DVD or Blu-ray Disc™!
Movie Studio 13 Suite includes:
Movie Studio Platinum
DVD Architect Studio
NewBlueFX 3D Titling and Video Effects
BorisFX Units*
FXHOME HitFilm Effects
Jump Start Tutorials
Sound Forge Audio Studio
ACID Music Studio
50 Production Music Tracks

it goes on sale  - its $103 here at B&H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1034068&gclid=CITfyfS46cQCFcNffgod1aQAMA&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Read www.videohelp.com

Smash

Thanks for all feedback - HD webcam and decent editing software with multitrack sounds like the answer?

I do have a version of Vegas but struggled with the interface having no manual to speak of - I used it to make a DVD of a 5.1 mix I'd done but struggled.

Pinnacle is falling off a log stuff but is pretty picky about media types and can have sync issues as I found out with the Martin video I did - watch it ping back in sync after the sub title disappears,lol!

@MrChevy - currently using Pinnacle 12 on my music PC (dual quad xeon), I prefer it to Power director which came pre installed on my daily email/internet machine

Elantric

QuoteI do have a version of Vegas but struggled with the interface having no manual to speak of

copperfrog

i wanted to ask something similar
it would be interesting to know what  cameras members are using to shot video(s)
there's a lot of options on the web but kind of hard to get a "clear picture" of what to chose
i know its recommended something with external mic inserts,flip around viewer and of course HD
it would be nice if its muti-purpose for photos/vids or the action cams like gopro or the interesting Q-series from Zoom
i hope i didn't miss a similar thread or hijacking a post

vg99 boss gp10 tripleplay live3 digitech harmonyman