Please help with a VG8 patch

Started by kingkorg, May 06, 2020, 08:15:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingkorg

Hello, i am new to this forum, and i've searched everywhere, but can't seem to find the solution.

I am desperate to find a patch from VG8 and convert it manually to GT5 i have.

Is there any way someone would be so kind to go through that patch and post all the parameters so that i can copy them manually to my GT5?

This would end my years long search for this patch. I don'y have anyone around with an VG8 to either loan, nor buy.

Brent Flash

Welcome to the group kingkorg!  :)

kingkorg

Thank you so much. Btw, here's the bank including the patch.

bosetuno

Not sure if that will work. IME the vg8 and gt5 amp models are quite different. Also the vg8 can run dual amps configurations while the gt5 cant

kingkorg

I am aware of that, but this is my best chance unless i find a unit to buy. I need it for recording, and i can actually emulate dual amp settings by reamping the other one.

I am willing to pay for the service, i see people have downloaded the bank, so if someone is willing to spend 10 minutes of their time it would be great. The album is in the making, it would be great if i find solution before mixing stage.

bosetuno

So, thanks to Elliot Freedman and his VG8 librarian I could get that library into my vg8.

Those are the paramenters of the patch you requested

The algorithm is pedal plus amp
The pickup is a vari model, single coil position 25mm angle 25mm
Pitch shift Off
Pedal: dist type Dist:11 Level: 9 Tone: -17
Poly manager: Lead emphasis 91 Poly-Rate: 78
Amp: Type: Studio Lead. Volume (Gain): 86; L-Drive: 75; Master:100 B-shift: ON; M-shift: ON; T-shift: ON; Bass: 24; Middle: 61; Treble: 100; Presence: 0; Bright: 0; L-Bright: 0 Output: 36
Speaker&Mic: Type: Classic Stack (8x12) Mic settings: Small dinamic Position: Angled
Mod Fx: Type Dim-chorus; P-Dealy: 50 (max); Depth: 57 (around half); Rate: 0.2Hz; Level: 39
Delay Fx: Panning; Feedback: 0; Time: 13ms; Level: 80
Reverb Fx: Plate-1; H.Damp: 0; Time: 14; Level: 21
Eq: Mid Freq: 2397Hz; Mid Q: 0.25; LowGain: +8; MidGain: +8 HiGain: +2.5 Low Freq: 377; Hi-Freq: 3775; Hipype:Shelv P-Volume: 35

Thats it. Good luck! and let us know how it worked. As far as I remmembered, there is no similar amp on the GT5 and the Chorus fx sounds quite diferent

kingkorg

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! I will post about results!

Edit:

Yes! It worked! The tricky part was the modulation effects, that is the reason i wasn't able to nail it for years. Amp sim, and cabinet don't work as they should, but i managed to tweak them using external eq to match the sound. It was that roomy modulation character i was after. Thanks a million!   

bosetuno

You are welcome. If you need further help traslading those parameters to gt5 let me know. Maybe percentage of values or a rough description of the sound might help you.

What do you find special about these particular preset?

bosetuno

In my opinion you need to focus on the delay and eq. Use the chorus block from the gt5 and set the delay time on it to 50ms.

Then add the delay. 13ms works like a doubler/mid range booster. Then add the eq block, specially the mid block and hi drew which are both set to pretty much the same freq so it's highly boosted around 3khz.

With all this look for a amp sim that give you the desired texture/distortion. Maybe the soldano or the Mesa on the gt5.

I discovered the vg8 a couple of years ago, and I was amazed it was used by a lot of pro musicians without anybody noticing it at all. It was like back in the day the main trend in guitar marketing was the vintage craze but on real life the vg8 was the tool to use. Or maybe that was me being too young...

aliensporebomb

Can anyone give me a recorded example of this sound at all?  I'd like to hear it.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

bosetuno

Here is a simple recording I made of it. The first half with the cab sim on and the second half with the cab sim off.

Pretty straght forward rock sound in my opinion.

I tried to replicate it on my gt5... mmm didn´t work very well. First, at least on my unit, setting a 13ms delay time on the delay block results in a much longer delay (around 80ms). However using the delay algo in the mod block works as expected. Second, the delay time on the Chorus should be set to 5ms, not 50 as I said previously. I used the BG lead amp as I think is the closer in feel, but is still more open, less compressed and I couldn´t replicate the strong voxy sound in the upper midrange of the original. I sounds much brighter also.

Anyway, i really wonder if the sound I recorded is really similar to the one kingkorg is trying to replicate.

cheers

kingkorg

I had to use external eq to match the sound with GT5.

However i have a contribution to make to pay my dues to this forum.

I found VG8 today but without pickup. So i had to figure out a way to use it without it.

I made an adapter to use regular guitar without GK2 or GK3.

Simplest way to get regular guitar input is to connect pin1 (string1) and ground to regular 1/4 inch female guitar jack. Pin1 naturally connected to 1/4 jack tip.  Set pickup model to CLA ST model and turn Tone control for the pickup to the maximum.

Pin 1 input with this pickup  model has flatest frequency response, flat phase response and will not impact tone of your guitar much. I have measured this with professional gear.

Ideally if you use passive pickups you should use whatever Boss pedal in bypass in front  of VG8 for impedance matching. Doesn't have to be Boss, but it should be buffered.

You should have some kind of buffer in front of VG8. It works fine even without it, but depending on your guitar the tone might be darker than usual. Active pickups don't need this.

Signal coming from passive or active puckups is hotter than GK2 or GK3. So you would need to lower string 1 level to about 50 out of 100 on your VG8. Otherwise the patches will have too much gain, and noise.

Off course this way no patches that require individual pickup inputs will work. Pickup modeling won't work properly either, but it might be fun to experiment.

bosetuno

Thats really great info. I love a couple of its amp sim, so i will give it a try someday