Graphtech Ghost and GK3 combination???

Started by banjoman, October 22, 2014, 02:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

banjoman

Hi everyone.  I have a Strat that I made (Warmoth parts) that has Graphtech Ghost piezos and the hexpander setup for 13 pin midi output.  I set it up that way thinking I could use it on a GR55, which I do not have yet.  I am now ready to get the GR55, but after reading about all the problems with the GR55 and graph tech ghost pickups, I'm a little leery about plunking down $700.  So, I had a thought about how to get the "acoustic" sound that I like from the graph tech pickups and the problem free interface with the GR55 from the GK3 pickup.  Is it possible to use both?  I was thinking I could remove the hexpander and 13 pin part of my setup, just leaving the ghost pickups, my 3 way switch (piezo, both, and magnetics), and my volume/tone combo pot on my magnetic pickups.  Could I then install the GK3 kit in the guitar as well, running the piezos and magnetics through the GK3 setup the same way you would normally just run the magnetics through.  That way, I would have 2 switches.  One would control piezo, both, and magnetics.  The other would control midi, both, and pickups (piezo, magnetics, or both combined...whichever I had selected).  I would also have the midi volume pot and the buttons in the GK3 kit (or could I use the two way momentary switch that I currently have installed?).  I know this is confusing...but I think it might work.  Any thoughts from any of you experienced folks out there?
Thanks....

Brent Flash

Elantric

QuoteHi everyone.  I have a Strat that I made (Warmoth parts) that has Graphtech Ghost piezos and the hexpander setup for 13 pin midi output.  I set it up that way thinking I could use it on a GR55, which I do not have yet.  I am now ready to get the GR55, but after reading about all the problems with the GR55 and graph tech ghost pickups, I'm a little leery about plunking down $700.  So, I had a thought about how to get the "acoustic" sound that I like from the graph tech pickups and the problem free interface with the GR55 from the GK3 pickup.  Is it possible to use both?  I was thinking I could remove the hexpander and 13 pin part of my setup, just leaving the ghost pickups, my 3 way switch (piezo, both, and magnetics), and my volume/tone combo pot on my magnetic pickups.  Could I then install the GK3 kit in the guitar as well, running the piezos and magnetics through the GK3 setup the same way you would normally just run the magnetics through.  That way, I would have 2 switches.  One would control piezo, both, and magnetics.  The other would control midi, both, and pickups (piezo, magnetics, or both combined...whichever I had selected).  I would also have the midi volume pot and the buttons in the GK3 kit (or could I use the two way momentary switch that I currently have installed?).  I know this is confusing...but I think it might work.  Any thoughts from any of you experienced folks out there?

Yes - I have a similar setup guitar  - a warmoth Frankenstrat i built back in 1998

LR Baggs Piezos ( for Acoustic sounds) Internal GK-2A with pickup from a Roland Ready Strat and ManiacMusic Sustainiac Stealth Plus Sustainer

Dick Dale / Jimi Hendrix Left angled Bridge PU

All output jacks are on the side - I had Robin Trower sign it back in 2008

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5809.msg39770#msg39770