GI-20 - Drivers for Mac OS 10.10 Yosemite - Use with Logic X ???

Started by wonderingabout, June 11, 2015, 06:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wonderingabout

Hi,

I'm new to this group and pretty new to Logic X (mostly Pro Tools).

I have posted a thread over at the logic-users-group too (those guys speak well of you here).

Problem:
Roland GI-20 not recognized by Logic Pro X on MacBook Pro 8,3 running Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite).

My Setup:
Godin Freeway 13 Pin Midi Guitar
Roland GI-20 13-Pin midi to USB Interface
Macbook Pro 8,3
Mac OS 10.10 - Yosemite
Logic Pro X 10.1.1
The Obsolete GI-20 Driver was just Installed ( even though it is for 10.6)
GI-20 not seen in Audio Midi Setup
All I see in Audio Midi Setup is:
- IAC Driver
- Network
- AKAI LPD8
- AKAI LPK25
- CASIO USB-MIDI
- Bluetooth

Does anyone know of a work around to get the Roland GI-20 running in Logic Pro X?

I have a USB keyboard controller (AKAI LPK 25) and the virtual instruments in Logic X respond to that perfectly. But I cannot get the midi guitar setup running.

The guitar midi signal is definitely getting from the guitar to the GI-20 - because I can change patches with the toggle switch on the guitar.

Any info would be appreciated. And a solution would be awesome.

Thanks very much.

MusicOverGear

The GI 20 can run as a class compliant MIDI device. Its in the manual I can't remember where. I sold my GI 21 I got a GP 10. The gist of it is it's a firmware switch and you get to it by holding down some combination of buttons as you start up the device. I learned how to do it from the manual sorry I can't tell you more than that

wonderingabout

That is a great lead. Thanks!

[ I hope you don't mind, I am cross posting this info you've provided over on the logic forum as there is a use there familiar with GI-20]

Thanks!

wonderingabout

I'm reading the manual but do not see any mention of starting up the GI-20 as a class compliant device with a key or button combination.

http://lib.roland.co.jp/support/en/manuals/res/1811249/GI-20_e6.pdf

still looking...

Elantric

wonderingabout

Found it.
Changed it.

Still nothing in:
Logic x
Pro Tools
Audio Midi Setup

Frustrated.

wonderingabout

wonderingabout

Well,

I got the mio USB to MIDI cable -
and it still doesn't work.

Now its on to troubleshooting:
- is it the Godin Freeway?
- Is it the GI-20?
- Is it something else?

The Godin Freeway is connected to the to the GI-20
the  guitar/synth toggle switch is in the MIDI/SYNTH position
and I can change patch numbers and parameters on the GI-20
from the momentary toggle switch on the Godin.

To me that seems like proof that information is getting from the GODIN to the GI-20.

So that leaves the GI-20.

Am I missing something?

I don't remember having to do anything with the GI-20 to get it to just send signal before.

Any thoughts on how I can troubleshoot this?

admin

Frankster

Is the GI-20 enabled in Logic? If the interface is hidden then it won't be available as a MIDI device even with the driver installed.

cpwhite

Quote from: MusicOverGear on June 11, 2015, 06:17:00 PM
The GI 20 can run as a class compliant MIDI device. Its in the manual I can't remember where. I sold my GI 21 I got a GP 10. The gist of it is it's a firmware switch and you get to it by holding down some combination of buttons as you start up the device. I learned how to do it from the manual sorry I can't tell you more than that
Hold down the Write button while turning the unit on. Select the mode using the up/down switches. GEN, or GE or something likevthat is the class compliant mode I guess. It did not work with Yosemite, I had to use the other mode and the OS 9 driver and it works.

jomo

Hi,
just change the usb driver in the unit to generic instead of roland built in one. see page 33 of the manual. I changed my usb selection and it works fine with El Capitain and LProX

john

Selecting the Type of USB Driver
When using the GI-20 when it is connected to a computer, you can select from two types of drivers.
* Be sure to set the GI-20's driver so that it matches the driver used by the computer. In some cases, the driver may not function properly.
* With the factory settings, USB DRIVER is set to "VENDER SPECIFIC."
1. Turn off the power to the GI-20.
2. Hold down [WRITE] and turn on the power.
3. Press [SELECT], causing only the leftmost indicator of the display to light up.
Only the leftmost indicator light when you select USB DRIVER TYPE.
fig.03-19
4. Press [PATCH/VALUE] to select "SP" or "GE."
5. Turn the power off.
The USB driver setting becomes effective the next time you turn on the GI-20.

Quote from: wonderingabout on June 11, 2015, 06:13:28 PM

Hi,

I'm new to this group and pretty new to Logic X (mostly Pro Tools).

I have posted a thread over at the logic-users-group too (those guys speak well of you here).

Problem:
Roland GI-20 not recognized by Logic Pro X on MacBook Pro 8,3 running Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite).

My Setup:
Godin Freeway 13 Pin Midi Guitar
Roland GI-20 13-Pin midi to USB Interface
Macbook Pro 8,3
Mac OS 10.10 - Yosemite
Logic Pro X 10.1.1
The Obsolete GI-20 Driver was just Installed ( even though it is for 10.6)
GI-20 not seen in Audio Midi Setup
All I see in Audio Midi Setup is:
- IAC Driver
- Network
- AKAI LPD8
- AKAI LPK25
- CASIO USB-MIDI
- Bluetooth

Does anyone know of a work around to get the Roland GI-20 running in Logic Pro X?

I have a USB keyboard controller (AKAI LPK 25) and the virtual instruments in Logic X respond to that perfectly. But I cannot get the midi guitar setup running.

The guitar midi signal is definitely getting from the guitar to the GI-20 - because I can change patches with the toggle switch on the guitar.

Any info would be appreciated. And a solution would be awesome.

Thanks very much.

admin

The GI-20 has two USB modes, Vendor and Generic. The Vendor mode will require a Roland driver but the Generic mode will use the native USB MIDI driver included int he MAC OS.

To switch USB modes see page 33 of your GI-20 owner's manual and give it a try, this should get you up and running with your current MAC OS.

https://rolandcanada.zendesk.com/entries/76430165-GI-20-doesn-t-work-with-Yosemite