VG-99 - Led Zeppelin - "Kashmir" patches & mp3 demo

Started by Brent Flash, April 26, 2008, 06:14:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brent Flash

Below are patches I created to play "Kashmir" by Led Zeppelin. This is in the alternate tuning forum because it is tuned down to D to play it in the original key.

I may catch some flack from the Led Zeppelin purist out there because this is more Metallica plays Led Zeppelin but all the same I created this to play the song live and not necessarily try to recreate Led Zeppelin's studio recording.

The demo was done over a Garage Band drum loop (the only thing not coming out of the VG-99) and all the tracks (3 stereo) were made with the patches in this folder. I hope some of you like it and can get some use from the patches.

FlashKashmir.mid
This is the main "Kashmir" patch used in the demo below.

FlashDBass.mid
This is the bass patch used in the demo for "Kashmir" below.

Mp4 demo and patch below. Be sure to check out part 2 of the demo in the 6th post below.

XISTH information

Hi Brent, just listened to your demo. Not bad, IMO. The guitars sound good. I was hoping to hear the chorus with mellotron bits - I assume from Bill Ruppert's demos that a mellotron sim is possible, although I haven't tried to build one myself. I also think the drums lack the 'thud' element of Bonham, but a good effort overall!

mos6507

Sounds like it could have been the bed for a Coverdale/Page remake.

Michael Dolan Doubleneck
Les Paul Custom

VG-99
FTP

Brent Flash

Quote from: XISTH information on April 26, 2008, 10:02:42 AM
Hi Brent, just listened to your demo. Not bad, IMO. The guitars sound good. I was hoping to hear the chorus with mellotron bits - I assume from Bill Ruppert's demos that a mellotron sim is possible, although I haven't tried to build one myself. I also think the drums lack the 'thud' element of Bonham, but a good effort overall!

Sorry I did not go long enough. I was keeping it around the 3 MB size. After I finish up some remote recordings I had to do over the weekend and one I have to do tomorrow night I will extend it. OK

About the drums, I didn't put a lot of effort into them. Like I said they are a Garage Band loop.

Thanks for your feedback! It all helps me keep on track with what people are interested in.

Brent Flash

Quote from: mos6507 on April 26, 2008, 07:43:29 PM
Sounds like it could have been the bed for a Coverdale/Page remake.

Is that a good thing?

Brent Flash

Quote from: XISTH information on April 26, 2008, 10:02:42 AM
I was hoping to hear the chorus with mellotron bits -

I just got back and bounced that part. This is just a demo please don't judge my studio work from this. If you want to hear some of my studio work go to http://www.myspace.com/flashenter I have some stuff I produced, engineered, recorded, and wrote there.

Mp3 demo below

Rojoyinc

Sounds good Brent - hey isn't this suppose to be in Drop D or D model?

Yours also sounds pretty clean, mines a bit over distorted.
Maybe just my slopping playing - are you playing the normal  LZ tab version?

This has always been one of my favorite songs.
Ron, GR, MI
Strats (John Mayer & AmDlx Ash) Fretlight
Gibson LP cust
Tayor T5 Koa, Solidbody walnut custom
Alesis DM5, MM6 synth
Line6 UX8, Mesa LonestarSP, Fender Acoustasonic
MicroCube, Fender Champ 600, BR-600, DP-02CF PortaStudio
HarmonyMan, VocalistLive4, CuBase, SECURITY SYSTEM ;-)

Brent Flash

Quote from: Rojoyinc on October 24, 2008, 10:08:52 AMSounds good Brent - hey isn't this suppose to be in Drop D or D model?

Yours also sounds pretty clean, mines a bit over distorted.
Maybe just my slopping playing - are you playing the normal  LZ tab version?

This has always been one of my favorite songs.

Thanks Ron!

You know I don't know how Jimmy tuned for this but I wanted to be able to throw in the voices of the high B and E strings (after the first little string fill) on this patch so I just tuned it one step down. As for the version? I listened to it and played what I heard so it could be all wrong.

Where is your version? I would love to hear it. Did you post it and I missed it?

Rojoyinc

I had fun with yours and just played with things... dials and ended up here.... the mids are a bit overly strong, but there are so many EQ points, I'm not sure where to pull it down.  It might be a mess elsewhere - since my EQ on my system setup is really dialed down big time in the highs. ( Get to sizzley highs ). 
Ron, GR, MI
Gibson LP cust
Alesis DM5, MM6 synth

Rojoyinc

And lets see if this attaches.

I'm just using stock D-modal tuning in the VG99 and this tab I glanced at to see how to play it - I move the strings down one each on the  run down from  12 - 12  using strings 1 and 3 other than (I think the tab shows 2 and 4)
but then I didn't tune as the tab stated.
Ron, GR, MI
Gibson LP cust
Alesis DM5, MM6 synth

Brent Flash

Rojoyinc

Yes - PC  zip file, unpacked it's a .gp5 file.  Which is a tab file for Guitar Pro 5.
I think they have a Mac version too - check out the demo, it's free to try.

And well worth the buy - I have like 40,000 tab files for it.
Ron, GR, MI
Gibson LP cust
Alesis DM5, MM6 synth

Brent Flash

Quote from: Rojoyinc on October 24, 2008, 02:53:12 PM
Yes - PC  zip file, unpacked it's a .gp5 file.  Which is a tab file for Guitar Pro 5.
I think they have a Mac version too - check out the demo, it's free to try.

And well worth the buy - I have like 40,000 tab files for it.

OK, I tried it out and converted it to a MIDI file so others could listen.

Warning Will ROBINSON this is not a Patch for the VG-99. This file will play the tab above for Guitar Pro 5. Please Open in your MIDI player, like Quicktime or Media Player

Rojoyinc

I'm still messing with it - really the tuning is best done in DADGAD.

Ron, GR, MI
Gibson LP cust
Alesis DM5, MM6 synth

chipstar

Hey Rojoy and Brent,
First off, I'd like to thank you, Brent, for the hard work. I pulled down the file so I could record Kashmir for one of my Berklee classes but I had some issues with the patch so I couldn't use it. As Rojoy stated, this track is in DADGAD A.K.A. D Modal so I had to disable the Alt. tuning. Secondly, the synth was very glitchy in that it seemed that only a single synth tone would play which is fine but when strumming the verse chords, it seemed like the note sounding isn't always the root, which is important. Also, as Rojoy mentioned, the gain was insanely high and there is a loss of note articulation when playing the verse chords due to this. I tried to tweak it but I had to use another patch to finish the assignment. Please don't take this as an insult or negative criticism. Perhaps, this may help you dial it in further in the future if you so chose. Again, thanks for posting it. I just wish I could have used it as that would have been badass.

later,
Chipstar

Brent Flash

Quote from: chipstar on May 06, 2009, 12:54:36 AM
Hey Rojoy and Brent,
First off, I'd like to thank you, Brent, for the hard work.
You are very welcome, I make these to use and don't intend on trying to make anything out of them other than use them. So why not share. If you can use them great! Or, you may be able to look at them and get some ideas on how to make your own or make them better. (Believe me I would not mind at all!)
Quote from: chipstar on May 06, 2009, 12:54:36 AMI pulled down the file so I could record Kashmir for one of my Berklee classes but I had some issues with the patch so I couldn't use it. As Rojoy stated, this track is in DADGAD A.K.A. D Modal so I had to disable the Alt. tuning.
Yes, I stated earlier in this thread, this is the way I play the song, I was not trying to copy Page's guitar work. If I had an orchestra behind me I might do it differently.
I worked with George Cintron (Guitarist for "The Music of Led Zeppelin" Tour) April 26th and he tunes Drop D (I think? I am going to ask him later.) to perform Kashmir.

Also in this tuning I can use it as a regular guitar patch (for other songs) because it is tuned as a regular guitar just 1 step down. The patch version I use has the VG Control 1 to set back to normal tuning. I just have not posted it. I guess I didn't think anyone would use it. I will post it today if you want to try it out.
Quote from: chipstar on May 06, 2009, 12:54:36 AMSecondly, the synth was very glitchy in that it seemed that only a single synth tone would play which is fine but when strumming the verse chords, it seemed like the note sounding isn't always the root, which is important. Also, as Rojoy mentioned, the gain was insanely high and there is a loss of note articulation when playing the verse chords due to this. I tried to tweak it but I had to use another patch to finish the assignment. Please don't take this as an insult or negative criticism. Perhaps, this may help you dial it in further in the future if you so chose.
On my setup the synth is very stable and the gain structure is in line with all the factory presets, so maybe it has something to do with your string sensitivity settings? Mine are all set in the 30 range. You may want to check that out and maybe the other GK setup settings too.

The patch below is an alternative patch to the one above but includes the VG CONTROL 1 to return to normal tuning.

chipstar

Hey Brent,

Rock on! Regarding the tuning, whether George plays in drop D, this is not correct. The intention of the DADGAD tuning is to provide a double D note drone while allowing the properly fingered chromaticisms of the intro to be played simultaneously.

Regarding the synth, my sensitivity is set to around 15 for all pickups. As I percieve it and perhaps I'm wrong, the synth seems to be monophonic so the last note played with force will sound which is problematic as the first note strummed should ring out.

Just some thoughts...

later,
Chipstar

Brent Flash

Quote from: chipstar on May 06, 2009, 03:47:13 PM
Hey Brent,
Rock on! Regarding the tuning, whether George plays in drop D, this is not correct. The intention of the DADGAD tuning is to provide a double D note drone while allowing the properly fingered chromaticisms of the intro to be played simultaneously.
I was not saying you were wrong, I was just pointing out that the players I know that are performing Kashmir all play it a little different according to what instrumentation they have behind them.
Quote from: chipstar on May 06, 2009, 03:47:13 PM
Regarding the synth, my sensitivity is set to around 15 for all pickups. As I percieve it and perhaps I'm wrong, the synth seems to be monophonic so the last note played with force will sound which is problematic as the first note strummed should ring out.
Just some thoughts...
I am still not having this problem. Maybe you need to increase your sensitivity. All the notes from the synth play when I play chords.
Here is a DADGAD tuned version if you want to try it out. CONTROL 1 will bring you back to regular tuning.