Mission Engineering Gemini amps

Started by thebrushwithin, January 25, 2014, 07:03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebrushwithin

This looks quite interesting. The Gemini 1 has 1 - 12" speaker, and a HF driver, and weighs 45lbs. However, the Gemini 2 is stereo, with 2 - 10" speakers, as well as 2 - HF drivers, and weighs only 1 lb. more. [url]http://missionengineering.com/?product=gemini-2#tab-description[url]

Product Description
Gemini with Mission EmPower™ Technology is the missing link in the world of digital modeling processors and software based guitar systems. Gemini combines state of the art digital amplification and interfaces that connect to almost any device, wired or wireless, with beautiful handcrafted wood cabinets that provide the look and feel of boutique tube amps.

Mission EmPower Technology™ features multi-channel class D power amplifiers, active crossovers with variable EQ, and full range co-axial drivers, all designed from the ground up to work together as the perfect amplification solution for modeling systems.

Gemini 2 features a 2 x 110W internal amplifiers, 2×10? low frequency drivers, with 1? coaxial high frequency drivers providing a stereo solution in a single cabinet. Gemini 2 works perfectly with guitar processors with stereo outputs. Get the best out of ping pong delays, and swirling rotary speaker emulations. Create dual path patches assigning different cab sims to the different physical drivers. Blend clean and dirty signal chains to get you ultimate tone.

Pro-audio ¼" jack and XLR connectors, 24bit, 192KHz high speed USB, and Class 2 stereo Bluetooth wireless interfaces connect Gemini amps directly with software based guitar systems on computers, tablets and smartphones, as well as dedicated guitar processors. EmPower EQ control allows blending between a flat or a more traditional guitar cab frequency response.

The Gemini 2 will grace any stage or studio. Each cabinet is hand made from 3/4? void free, baltic birch with a high quality black Tolex covering, black basket weave acoustic speaker covering, and chrome hardware. Guitarists using a rack mount guitar processors such as the Fractal Audio-Axe-FX, Avid Eleven Rack, or Pod HD PRO can use the Gemini H, 19? rack head and build the perfect modeling half stack.

Gemini 2 Specifications

USB
High speed USB 2.0
24-bit @192KHz
USB Audio Class 1 and Class 2
Support for Apple OSX 10.6.4 and above
Microsoft Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Bluetooth
Bluetooth version 3.0
Backwards compatible with 2.1+EDR, 1.2 and 1.1
Bluetooth SIG and FCC certified
Embedded DSP
iAP profile discovery for Apple iPhone® and iPad®
Stereo input and output

Amplifier
2 x 110W stereo
103dB signal to noise ratio, A-weighted
103dB dynamic range, A-weighted
Mission EmPower™ active crossover with variable EQ.
110-240VAC power supply

Drivers
2 x 10" Mission low frequency driver
2 x 1" high frequency compression driver
Titanium HF diaphragm
Co-axial configuration

Cabinet
¾" void-free Baltic birch
Black Tolex covering
Basket weave acoustic speaker cloth
Chrome hardware

Dimensions
Width: 28" (610mm)
Height: 20" (508mm)
Depth: 12"  (305mm)
Weight: 46lbs (21kg)

merman93

Actually, the Gemini 2 comes with 2 x12" low frequency drivers and 2 x 1" high frequency drivers as standard. They were just added to Sweetwaters website as available soon.

The Mission website has an addition to the listing that says "available June 30 -220 watt Empower 2- 10's".

What has me hesitating is they also are releasing the Gemini Duo, and I think I'm leaning in that direction.

The Duo is powered and FRFR, which I would use with my Kemper leaving the cab sims on, (similar to my current setup of running the KPA with cabs on into my Roland VGA7's aux stereo inputs). Here's where it get cool,.... There I an additional 12" speaker, ( I like the optional Eric Johnson model).

I would use the monitor out of the KPA with the Cab sims off, send it through a small tube power amp and then to this 12" built into the same cabinet.

This would give me both FRFR and a separate 12" for monitoring. How cool!!

It may not have been designed for that, but have confirmed it will work. I think it was meant for either or,... Some venues use your Kemper FRFR, some venues use your tube amp, or also use your tube amp, and play backing tracks through the FRFR for rehearsals.

To me, this could be the perfect solution. But, I also like just the Gemini 2, for a compact FRFR setup and I wouldn't have to get a small tube amp.

I think the Gemini 2 sounds very similar to using the stereo amp part of the VGA7 but should weigh less.
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Fender Deluxe Players Strat (GK KIT)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
Hamer Phantom A7 (24 pin)
BX 13 (24 -13 pin converter)
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

musicman65

At that price, I'd check out the Motion Sound KP500S. Its 2 x 12 plus HF horns and is 250w x 2. The splayed cabinet broadens it stereo field and it has a spatial stereo expander that actual works really well. It sounds HUGE and WIDE in a room. Love mine.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KP500SN/

merman93

Quote from: musicman65 on June 16, 2014, 11:19:08 AM
At that price, I'd check out the Motion Sound KP500S. Its 2 x 12 plus HF horns and is 250w x 2. The splayed cabinet broadens it stereo field and it has a spatial stereo expander that actual works really well. It sounds HUGE and WIDE in a room. Love mine.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KP500SN/

Wow, that does sound interesting. I'll check out some YouTube vids.

I'm not totally sold on any specific FRFR cabs yet, and only use the VGA 7 because it's already paid for.

For once my common sense is overruling my G.A.S. and I haven't pulled the trigger.

Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

merman93

http://missionengineering.com/?product=gemini-2

The Gemini has a bunch of cool features I sort of glanced over, but there latest video has me considering again,....

A full range amp with built in USB audio interface. This is cooler than I thought.

One of my favorite gear presenters, Andy from ProGuitarShop has demoed the Gemini also, Link Below. On a side note, He kills on a lot of obscure Hendrix tunes, (1983, Rainy Day Dream Away, AstroMan, etc), while demoing various effects pedals at PGS. I really enjoy watching his vids.

Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

merman93

Well had bad case of " immediate onset Guitar Acquisition Syndrome" this week when I received an unexpected performance bonus. I expected it, but my girlfriend has no clue I got it.

I dropped $1700 on the Mission Engineering Gemini 2, with 2x12's, 2x1" tweeters, 220 watts stereo power, and the matching 4 unit rack "head" to put my Kemper in.

It will be here Friday.

I plan on doing a demo with dueling Kempers , a toaster with cabs off into 2 Tech 21 Power Engines, and the rack with cabs on into the Gemini.

I think in reality, it won't be a fair comparison to use the exact same settings as, both sets of powered speakers have internal Eq's, and i tweeked the toasters patches a bit due to no cab settings. I think this will be an interesting demo.

Essentially, the Gemini is to be used for monitoring my guitar for live performances, and a lil bit of stage monitoring for the other guys. We don't have in ear monitors. The Tech 21's may be repurposed as separate guitar Synth monitors, used with my Toaster in 2 amp configuration, or just become emergency backups. I rarely sell anything.

I have done my research, so this wasn't that much of an impulse buy,( although the extra available cash made the buy now easier). I have considered other FRFR solutions, the Atomic , Matrix, Blue, actual powered monitors like Line6 StageSource, EV's, Yamaha, powered keyboard amps, and others. But in the end, I decided that I wanted to try an honest to goodness FRFR system designed for guitar modeling. This system was the easiest to get here in the States. There is a waiting list For most others, and this is in stock at one of my fav retailers.

Maybe I'm "old School" but I love that this setup is designed to look and feel like a standard guitar rig. The KPA rack installs into the Rack Head, and that sits right on top of the Cab that looks like any other 2 -12 amp, ( except that it's enclosed back). I like that. It has the ability to dial down the tweeters, via their on board EQ called EM Power. As my purpose is to use this Full Range, Full Response I may tweek it a lil bit if necessary.

Should have some results/review/ etc in the next week.
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

mbenigni

Quote from: merman93 on August 20, 2014, 03:49:49 AM
Mission Engineering Gemini 2, with 2x12's, 2x1" tweeters, 220 watts stereo power

Just had a look - nice stuff.  Please post a review if you have a chance.  I'll be curious to hear how the coax speakers deliver in terms of tone and efficiency (i.e. available headroom.)

merman93

Here is a link to a vid I'm working on of the Gemini 2. It's hard to get a good recording onto youtube. listening to this vid with headphones is a plus. I want to use extreme tones as this cab handles it all, and is loud as F, but not sure it shows in the vid.

I used the kemper for first part, then ran the GP-10 direct into the Gemini. Wow, the Synth tones NEVER sounded this good on anything other than a full PA. Acoustic too.

This one will be deleted when I finally get time to do a better one.

Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

merman93

Quote from: mbenigni on August 20, 2014, 07:32:32 AM
I'll be curious to hear how the coax speakers deliver in terms of tone and efficiency (i.e. available headroom.)
I'm very impressed. As far as headroom, this baby gets way LOUD, and clean as a whistle, ( on clean patches).
(I posted a review at Kemper,..http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=13842&pageNo=3)
I was amazed when I plugged my GP-10 directly into the Gemini. When changing the GP-10 output setting to Line in/PA, the sound is soo full. I love having one "amp" i can use for everything. A JC120 is great for Synths and acoustic type tones, but no good for heavy stuff. In my opinion the only thing that makes a change on an old Marshall is the power cord, (ok just ribbing).

About the Coax,.. I love it. I'm certain it is a modified Eminence. Although all the reviews of these speakers are good, I was skepticle. I shouldn't have been.
It handles everything, including backing tracks. Just a total non issue.
The great benefit is how similar the sound dispersion is compared to classic amp cab. If you use a cab with drivers in seperate locations, 12 inch center, horn upper left, there is a slight perception difference.
I did say slight. But, this cab seems more like a guitar cab, than others.

To me, and I'm 50+ years old, I don't want to go on stage with sonething that looks like home stereo speakers, or a wedge, or a Mini PA. Having a system that looks like an amp can actually help with the perception. Brains work that way. Change the colour of your Jello from green to purple and your brain struggles to believe you're tasting mint .

Anyway,,.. This cab rocks!
Various pictures below,.. Gemini Rack Head with Kemper Rack installed, on top of Gemini 2 FRFR Active cab with 2x12"s. My Kemper Toaster sitting one of 2 Tech 21 power Engines.
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

mbenigni

QuoteGemini Rack Head with Kemper Rack installed, on top of Gemini 2 FRFR Active cab with 2x12"s. My Kemper Toaster sitting one of 2 Tech 21 power Engines.

Living the dream!   :o  Will check out your review.  All tapped out for gear purchases this year, I think, but GAS never sleeps.

mbenigni

I'm looking at the specs for these and I see 110-Watt Class D power for the 1x12, 220-Watt Class D for the 2x12.  Those must be really efficient speakers in order for this to be enough power.  I actually thought the Gemini line was based on a 100W tube amplifier, like the FR Atomic Reactors.

merman93

For my purposes, All I need is to be louder than my drummer on the cleanest settings I would ever use,.. A JC 120 profile. 

Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

mbenigni

It really comes down to speaker efficiency, I guess.  I have a Line 6 Vetta head, which is 2x150W Class D, and it's as loud as I'd ever need to be.  But I also have an "1100W" powered monitor, and sometimes I feel like it's not quite enough.  The difference is that the 1100W (which could mean anything) is pushing a full-range speaker array - there's probably a lot of loss in crossover filtering, etc.  But if you're using the cabinet for amps and synths and backing tracks... that coaxial speaker must be a very clever design.

Elantric

QuoteIt really comes down to speaker efficiency, I guess.  I have a Line 6 Vetta head, which is 2x150W Class D, and it's as loud as I'd ever need to be.

I'm tempted to order a pair of Eminence Beta-12CX coax 12" drivers for my Vetta Combo
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eminence-Beta-12CX-FREE-SHIPPING-Reasonable-Offers-Accepted-/160417349375?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Speakers_Monitors&hash=item25599e7eff

drbill

$160 at Amazon with the full kit including crossover & tweeter. Maybe an easy drop in FRFR replacement for the Tech21 Power Engine?
GP-10, KPA
BM i2.13p, '76 Les Paul Deluxe w/GK-3, MiM RRS, Ibanez RG420GK, Charvel strat copy w/GK-2a, FTP

merman93

Quote from: drbill on August 30, 2014, 02:31:48 PM
$160 at Amazon with the full kit including crossover & tweeter. Maybe an easy drop in FRFR replacement for the Tech21 Power Engine?
I had thought about that myself, as I have 2 Tech 21's,.. I can't remember where, but I read an Emminence DIY spec sheet, and there is a minimum amount of space needed in the box, to obtain the response desired, and of course, it really should be an enclosed box.

Numbers are just numbers though, and as what I thought was missing from the Tech 21's was high end, it would seem to not matter about sealed/ported enclosure with x amount of space, and installing the coAx should help. But again I'm a guitarist, not an audio engineer.

On the other hand, if you wanted to start from scratch,...
Stagecraftgear.com sells fantastic quality empty cabinets, with sealed back options, ( 99.999 % certain they make the cabs for Mission, as well as the rack head ). 

Btw, here's a new demo from Cooper Carter of the Gemini. Great explanation by Cooper of this unit,..

Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9