Greetings from CT

Started by grant58, May 16, 2015, 05:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grant58

Hi to all,

Reading the history of the site, I see I should have given more info about myself than what I entered on the registration form, which was just 'VG-8 owner.'  Thank you for accepting my (brief) application.

Here's some more info about me: I bought a new VG-8 in the mid to late 90s. I have two GK2A pickups -- one is semi-permanently mounted onto a Gibson L6-S electric, and another I had non-permanently affixed onto an L-50 acoustic.  (Not sure where that second pickup is anymore, though.)  I loved the VG-8, but I had stopped playing guitar for the last 15 years or so.  Recently, I dusted everything off, and my callouses are returning.  The VG-8 cables were a bit dirty and I was getting a lot of noise, but a brief dip of just the cable pin ends in vinegar followed by a dip in dilute baking soda and then a rinse in isopropyl alcohol did the trick and everything is working perfectly again.  (Aside from one missing row of pixels on my VG-8.)

Sometimes I think my interest in the VG-8 is as much because I'm a geek as its copacetic sonority.  Remember the original Ensoniq Mirage with hexadecimal?  I had (still have somewhere) one of those.  (And a 'newer' EPS 16+.)  Indulging my geekiness led me to this site and to the discovery that Roland had updated the firmware to allow hollow-body modeling.  I had no idea about this S1 update and so....

I would very much like to find someone who can lend me or let me bring my VG-8 over to apply the S1 upgrade.  I live in central Connecticut and work in SE Connecticut.

My musical interests run a wide range from classical to jazz, R&B to alt rock, traditional to weird, but my guitars usually seem to end up wanting to play blues.  I was saddened to hear BB King died.... 

Grant