GR-55 frustration - (Was Original Jazz Fusion tunes with (GR-1)

Started by Grytpype-Thynne, May 31, 2012, 04:00:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gumbo

Welcome Gp-T...

Some nice stuff in there... ;D

...& great handle.. ;)
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

LeeVGuitar

Hey, that's some beautiful guitar work there!

Congratulations, I'm indeed impressed  ;D

Are you using a tremolo bar at times or is that the synth?

Reverie. Truly original sound there. Very flighty and dreamlike

You can really get lost in that little melody

Conjures up visions of beauty

Very nice!

Although I feel it would sound better without the tremelo

LeeVGuitar

On your song Eaten By Snakes is that an actual bass playing

or is that a guitar synth emulating a bass? Sweet bass sound

What kind of recording program are you using? It sounds very well recorded

Great instrumentation. Right up their with Weather Report

aliensporebomb

Wow, Tribal Tech meets instrumental Zappa type sound - really great!  I love this kind of thing!
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Grytpype-Thynne

Thanks for the kind words and interest folks, I'm going to throw another rough draft up there soon. Around September I'm going to take a month off work and finish some of these suckers, and record about 4-5 new ones. I'm looking foward to using the GR-55 for this next project.

The bass in EBS is a Roland U-220 sound. Played in with a GR-1. Although I play bass all you get is one sound, so I tend to use synth sounds for bass.

All of the recordings were done in an ancient version of Cubase (pre SX).

The guitar parts in EBS were audio and were copied and moved up and and down an octave. The last verse was copied and pasted up a 5th.

Reverie is pure strat into and AXE-FX Ultra with whammy bar.

All of the distortion were done with a Korg A3. (still a useful unit in my opinion)

LeeVGuitar

I had to look those up.

The Roland U-220 is a sound module

and the GR-1 is a Roland guitar synthesizer

So, you are triggering the sounds of the U-220 sound module using a MIDI connection?

My GR-55 should be here today. I just got off the phone with Roland and they say that I can never expect the tracking to be as good using MIDI into an external device as it is within the GR-55. If I understood correctly, they said that I will have better luck with the tracking using the USB option rather than going through my Tascam US-144 MKII MIDI interface unit. I guess I'll have to try all options to see for myself.

I'm hoping I can get my guitar to sound like the bass in your EBS song for that is one sweet sounding bass alright!

So, is that an automated tremelo bar you are using in a program or are you actually using a physical tremelo bar to get the tremelo effect?

I'm not certain what an AXE-FX Ultra is

aliensporebomb

QuoteI had to look those up.

The Roland U-220 is a sound module

So, you are triggering the sounds of the U-220 sound module using a MIDI connection?

My GR-55 should be here today. I just got off the phone with Roland and they say that I can never expect the tracking to be as good using MIDI into an external device as it is within the GR-55. If I understood correctly, they said that I will have better luck with the tracking using the USB option rather than going through my Tascam US-144 MKII MIDI interface unit. I guess I'll have to try all options to see for myself.

I'm hoping I can get my guitar to sound like the bass in your EBS song for that is one sweet sounding bass alright!

So, is that an automated tremelo bar you are using in a program or are you actually using a physical tremelo bar to get the tremelo effect?

I'm not certain what an AXE-FX Ultra is
AxeFX is the processor a lot of people in the biz have popularized produced by Fractal Audio.  it's about $2000 and is a super modeler/effects unit. 
The AxeFX II just got released and there's a big waiting list for it. 

LeeVGuitar

So, it's a guitar synthesizer???????????????????  ???

I feel so dumb having to ask such questions

People tend to assume I'm smarter than they think

Elantric

QuoteSo, it's a guitar synthesizer???????????????????  ???

Google is your friend

aliensporebomb

Quote from: LeeVGuitar on June 21, 2012, 03:32:29 PM
So, it's a guitar synthesizer???????????????????  ???

No, AxeFX isn't a guitar synth.  A Roland GR-1 is a guitar synth.

LeeVGuitar

Quote from: Elantric on June 21, 2012, 03:38:19 PM
Google is your friend

Yeah, I just got tired of looking things up.

I did look it up before you mentioned it. It seems to be a unit that you plug your guitar straight into.
It doesn't seem as though it is used MIDI from a guitar synthesizer

It just seems that whenever I go to forums like this about technical matters
people tend to give partial information over and over and over assuming
everyone knows the rest and I end up asking questions over and over and over feeling like an idiot!

This seems to be standard fare.

If you go to the Sony Acid Pro 7 forum and ask technical questions you will get the same type of partial answers

If you go to the Adobe Photoshop forum same thing!

If you go to the HP forum...

If I ask two questions in a post I can usually bet only one of them will be answered
and I have to ask again!

Need proof? I asked this question:

"The Roland U-220 is a sound module

So, you are triggering the sounds of the U-220 sound module using a MIDI connection?"

Was it answered? (((NO!!!)))

Typical

need I go on?

Frustrating.  ::)

That's why I found it best to directly ask Roland all my questions about the GR-55.
That way when I get a partial answer I can instantly ask for clarification and I don't have to wait
for someone to finally respond.

It seems that a MIDI signal from a keyboard is a direct signal as opposed to a guitar synth
in which an analogue signal is transferred into a digital signal. Thus I cannot expect a guitar synthesizer
MIDI interface with a computer recording program like Mixcraft Pro Studio 6 to be as instant.

I'll give it a try, but I'm all ready to settle for the GR-55 sounds
As a matter of fact I'm about to check my PO Box
The GR-55 just might be here today

Elantric

QuoteYeah, I just got tired of looking things up.

I did look it up before you mentioned it. It seems to be a unit that you plug your guitar straight into.
It doesn't seem as though it is used MIDI from a guitar synthesizer

It just seems that whenever I go to forums like this about technical matters
people tend to give partial information over and over and over assuming
everyone knows the rest and I end up asking questions over and over and over feeling like an idiot!

This seems to be standard fare.

If you go to the Sony Acid Pro 7 forum and ask technical questions you will get the same type of partial answers

If you go to the Adobe Photoshop forum same thing!

If you go to the HP forum...

If I ask two questions in a post I can usually bet only one of them will be answered
and I have to ask again!

Need proof? I asked this question:

"The Roland U-220 is a sound module

So, you are triggering the sounds of the U-220 sound module using a MIDI connection?"

Was it answered? (((NO!!!)))

Typical

need I go on?

Frustrating.  ::)

That's why I found it best to directly ask Roland all my questions about the GR-55.
That way when I get a partial answer I can instantly ask for clarification and I don't have to wait
for someone to finally respond.

It seems that a MIDI signal from a keyboard is a direct signal as opposed to a guitar synth
in which an analogue signal is transferred into a digital signal. Thus I cannot expect a guitar synthesizer
MIDI interface with a computer recording program like Mixcraft Pro Studio 6 to be as instant.

I'll give it a try, but I'm all ready to settle for the GR-55 sounds
As a matter of fact I'm about to check my PO Box
The GR-55 just might be here today

Then make that "Wiki" is your friend
http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

LeeVGuitar

Seems it's best I only ask ONE QUESTION in a post. People can't seem to handle more than one question per post. They are blind to any other question I may ask in the same post.

Everywhere on the Internet I go and ask about technical issues it's the same old thing

THEY obviously won't change so I have to change my question asking strategy

The Abobe forum was the worst. I kept asking a question over and over and the knuckleheads kept ignoring it until I got angry! Then, of course, they want to make me the bad guy. Their recommendation I upgrade my graphics card so that Adobe CS5 would not lock up my computer almost destroyed my computer. I thought it was a goner! Then suddenly, about a week after I took out and returned the graphics card and tested a couple of new computers, my old computer miraculously began to work!

Life can be amazing!

It turns out ((( MY INSPIRATION ))) to run the file cleaner, defragment the hard drive and run a system error/correct check solved the problem. GLAD I THOUGHT OF IT!!!

So, I am not easily intimidated by hot shot people, on the Internet, who talk all technical abbreviating terms expecting me to know exactly what they mean.

LeeVGuitar

Quote from: Elantric on June 21, 2012, 04:21:08 PM
Then make that "Wiki" is your friend
http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

I've heard Wiki cannot be depended upon to have accurate answers about anything

aliensporebomb

QuoteSeems it's best I only ask ONE QUESTION in a post. People can't seem to handle more than one question per post. They are blind to any other question I may ask in the same post.

Everywhere on the Internet I go and ask about technical issues it's the same old thing

THEY obviously won't change so I have to change my question asking strategy

The Abobe forum was the worst. I kept asking a question over and over and the knuckleheads kept ignoring it until I got angry! Then, of course, they want to make me the bad guy. Their recommendation I upgrade my graphics card so that Adobe CS5 would not lock up my computer almost destroyed my computer. I thought it was a goner! Then suddenly, about a week after I took out and returned the graphics card and tested a couple of new computers, my old computer miraculously began to work!

Life can be amazing!

It turns out ((( MY INSPIRATION ))) to run the file cleaner, defragment the hard drive and run a system error/correct check solved the problem. GLAD I THOUGHT OF IT!!!

So, I am not easily intimidated by hot shot people, on the Internet, who talk all technical abbreviating terms expecting me to know exactly what they mean.

I've heard Wiki cannot be depended upon to have accurate answers about anything

I will admit Adobe Creative Suite is a beast of a software application but yeah, hard drive errors can definetely cause problematic operation.

That being said I really dig GrytPipe's music as posted in this thread.  Show what you can do with a little time and effort.

Grytpype-Thynne

Maybe you need to look up forum etiquette in google. Participate in discussions and don't DEMAND ANSWERS would be a good start in any forum. 11 posts and you're annoyed because you didn't get an immediate answer. No wonder you find all the forums you join don't embrace you with open arms. You come across as child throwing a tantrum.

I didn't answer because I was at work, AND.........believe it or not, some people don't use a computer to earn a living.

To answer your question: I used my GR-1 synth to record my guitar (and other parts) into cubase. I didn't record any audio, midi data only. I then edited the track and played it back through my U-220 and selected a bass sound I thought appropriate. Your right, the tracking/latency will be affected by playing through your GR into another synth module, which is why I only record midi data only.

Often it is better to play your bass parts in an octave higher for tracking purposes and transpose it down on playback. I also slow the midi track down a little to help with tracking. I only record audio when all of the parts are recorded as midi data.

The AXE-FX can be thought of as a multi FX unit. Reverie is pure guitar played through the AXE-FX, and the tremolo is just simple physical tremolo arm wiggling.

I'm happy to answer any question, but you need to lose the rudeness and sense of entitlement to get the best advice in any forum.

I'm a GR-55 newbie and new to this forum, no doubt I'll have a lot of questions as time goes by. I find the best way to get help is to be patient, polite and participate.

LeeVGuitar

Um, I thought Elantric meant Wikipedia  :P

LeeVGuitar

To Grytpype-Thynne,

A humble apology is in order. I feel so dumb. I thought it was YOU responding when in fact
it was aliensporebomb. That's why I got upset. I though you were doing another number on me of
not answering a question I asked. Sorry about that  ::)

I was hoping you were using the GR-1 guitar synth to trigger that sweet bass sound.

What's this about recording MIDI data only??? Can that be done with the GR-55 so that I can find the right instrument for the MIDI data and not have to worry about tracking problems? I sure do hope so and now that I realize what a dummy I've been...well...I think it will help me be more patient.

Gosh, I'm so embarrassed. Thinking that Elantric meant Wikipedia and that you were aliesporebomb.

Really dumb  :-\

On an 'up' note:

((( MY GR-55 GOT HERE TODAY!! HURRAY!!!!! )))

Installing the pickup on my strat where the old model synth pickup was installed

should not be too difficult

Gulp  :-X

It says "Hi-Speed Tracking" on the box

Now, that's what I want to hear!!!

((( OH YEAH!! )))

Grytpype-Thynne

Yes the GR-55, like all synths will send midi data to a sequencer program or another sound module. The tracking on the Gr-55 is only a little better than the older synths so I'll be using my previous method of recording midi data and editing it, before playback.

With the GR-55 however it WILL NOT function as a midi playback module (a great disappointment) but I'll use the better sounds in my JV-2080 for playback.

To record the audio from the GR-55 will require some patience and accuracy. You'll also have to choose the kinds of lines that will play accurately. For fast shreddy playing just recording midi data maybe the way to go, so that you can edit out the falsely triggered notes in your midi editing software.

LeeVGuitar

OMG, IT'S MORE BEAUTIFUL THAN THE PHOTO!!!

SIMPLY STUNNING! AND SO SOLIDLY BUILT!

I GLANCE OVER AT MY PLASTIC ROLAND GR-30 G SYNTH

AND AM TEMPTED TO POINT A FINGER AND LAUGH

POOR LITTLE PLASTIC NOT-CHORD-FRIENDLY THING

LeeVGuitar

Gosh Grytpype-Thynne,

you may have really come through for me regarding recording MIDI data. I shared your answer over at the Acoustica Mixcraft forum. I hope you don't mind because I want them to let me know if what you suggest is possible in their new Mixcraft Pro Studio 6 recording program, that I recently bought.

http://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft-pro-studio/index.htm

My current idea is: when I record, I'll record one track of the GR-55 direct and at the same time record a parallel track of just MIDI data that I can edit using the directly recorded GR-55 as a model to match up with. Then I can experiment with the MIDI data. I'm assuming that I can use a bass guitar sound or ANY virtual instrument sound that the Mixcraft Pro Studio program has to offer, right? After I fix any falsely triggered MIDI notes it should sound equal to the part directly recorded with the GR-55, right?

I hope, I hope, I hope!!

Hey, thanks for your advice!  ;D

Grytpype-Thynne

You've pretty much got it right. In my brief dabblings with the GR-55 so far............I have noticed that on my system (latency approx 6ms) the midi from the GR-55 lags a little behind the audio from the GR-55.

Most midi editors will allow you to advance or retard the midi track to line it up with the audio so it's not a big deal. It may prove to be a good idea to record a few bars of 1/4 notes along with the metronome at the beginning of a track to make syncing easier.

There you go..........See what being nice achieves  ;D

LeeVGuitar

Okay, I have a problem and I would like to share it here because...well...it's a very big problem!

I set the new Roland GK-3 synth pickup on my Strat and as I play chords, instead of sounding blotted any blotted note in a jazz chord gives a discordinate ugly tone that messes up the chord. This is especially true of any keyboard sound I may use.

If this problem cannot be solved this unit is going back to Musician's Friend because I am not going to put up with that! Jazz chords are famous for often having blotted out strings and a discordant tone instead of a blotted note is completely unacceptable, period!

Also, when I put my GK-3 pickup switch in the position where I should hear just my guitar I hear nothing at all! I never had this problem with old Roland GK-2A synth pickup!

I can't believe I am suddenly more content with my old Roland GR-30 guitar synthesizer. This can't be happening!

As Shakespeare would say: 'Something is rotten in Denmark'

Also, if I didn't have a GK cord from my Roland GR-30 I would be extremely angry right now for the unit came with no cord!! I am amazed that the Musician's Friend site didn't let me know it came with no cord to connect the synth pickup to the unit!!

aliensporebomb

QuoteOkay, I have a problem and I would like to share it here because...well...it's a very big problem!

I set the new Roland GK-3 synth pickup on my Strat and as I play chords, instead of sounding blotted any blotted note in a jazz chord gives a discordinate ugly tone that messes up the chord. This is especially true of any keyboard sound I may use.

If this problem cannot be solved this unit is going back to Musician's Friend because I am not going to put up with that! Jazz chords are famous for often having blotted out strings and a discordant tone instead of a blotted note is completely unacceptable, period!

Also, when I put my GK-3 pickup switch in the position where I should hear just my guitar I hear nothing at all! I never had this problem with old Roland GK-2A synth pickup!

I can't believe I am suddenly more content with my old Roland GR-30 guitar synthesizer. This can't be happening!

As Shakespeare would say: 'Something is rotten in Denmark'

Also, if I didn't have a GK cord from my Roland GR-30 I would be extremely angry right now for the unit came with no cord!! I am amazed that the Musician's Friend site didn't let me know it came with no cord to connect the synth pickup to the unit!!

Is there any chance we can hear an MP3 of the audio problem you are experiencing?