VG-99 Re-Amping Guide

Started by Elantric, January 25, 2008, 09:50:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Lets develop a Re-Amping Guide for the VG-99

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Re-amp

bubblebeat

Hi there.

I've just received my VG-99 and I'm loving it!  ;)
I'd be very interested in a re-amping functionality as I need to do a lot of tweaking for my sounds (I play in an electronic band and play over backing tracks that have drums/bass/synths).
I need to get more into the depths of the VG-99 but it seems that Roland will have to release a more flexible driver and F/W in order to make the re-amping feasible (such as the POD's one).
What are your thoughts about it? Have you started writing a guide?

Cheers!

Elantric

Look in the lower left of the VG-99 Signal Flow chart in the re-routable USB Send Receive area

The Secrets to VG-99 Re-Amping are unlocked within the VG-99 Editor.

From the VG-99 Editior, go to the screen called "Output / USB" . (hint: click  "Master, Details, then Output /USB , Details".

From the Output / USB page, see the lower left has the VG-99 "USB" settings.

We can re-amp the normal 1/4" guitar input as follows:

1) In VG-99 Editor tab called "USB Out to PC" = make this "from Normal PU"

2) Fire up your Audio application ( Sonar, Cubase, Reaper, Nuendo, Logic, Digital Performer, etc.) - and record from the VG-99 USB's out onto a new audio track for the whole song -  at least 3 minutes as a test. This is the dry pre-processed guitar track.

3) Hit rewind to the start of the song

4) In VG-99 Editor tab called "USB In from PC" = make this "COSM GTR A" or "COSM GTR B"

5) Playback  the track recorded in step 2 above,

6) You should be able to plug headphones into the VG-99 and hear the guitar track recorded in Step #2, and be able to re-adjust the COSM  Amplifier model and add FX to taste. rewind the song and keep playing with it until you like what you hear.

7) You can record this "re-amped" guitar track using your favorite  COSM amp and FX selection by setting the "USB Out to PC" to "from Main Out"

There you are re-amping!

bubblebeat

Woua, pretty cool thanks ! Nice stuff, quite a lot of tweaking there.

I did not get that far in the manual, been too busy playing, the amount of possibilities is quite impressive. Nice work Roland!  :)

One thing that may help others, you have to make sure the normal PU level is not set to zero in the patch you're using... I spent 5 mn wondering why no sound was coming out on the VG-99 after step 5.  :D

This will help me a lot although I realized I won't be able to use the COSM guitars and I need to route the backing track to my internal sound card so it does not get processed.

Thanks again!  ;)

vanceg

Reamping though just the amps and effects = very nice.
Reamping through the entire COSM guitar chain = Priceless.

Quote from: sustainiac on February 04, 2008, 10:25:12 PM

From the VG-99 Editior, go to the screen called "Output / USB" . (hint: click  "Master, Details, then Output /USB , Details".

1) In VG-99 Editor tab called "USB Out to PC" = make this "COSM GTR A" or "COSM GTR B"

2) Fire up your Audio application ( Sonar, Cubase, Reaper, Nuendo, Logic, Digital Performer, etc.) - and record from the VG-99 USB's out onto a new audio track for the whole song -  at least 3 minutes as a test. This is the dry pre-processed guitar track.

4) In VG-99 Editor tab called "USB In from PC" = make this "from Normal PU"

6) You should be able to plug headphones into the VG-99 and hear the guitar track recorded in Step #2, and be able to re-adjust the COSM  Amplifier model and add FX to taste. rewind the song and keep playing with it until you like what you hear.

7) You can record this "re-amped" guitar track using your favorite  COSM amp and FX selection by setting the "USB Out to PC" to "from Main Out"

There you are re-amping!

Elantric

>Reamping through the entire COSM guitar chain = Priceless.

Agreed - though at this point in time the RMC Fan out box seems the only path for that

judb

to use the RMC box to reamp, you would just record each string to separate tracks and then play them back individually, or could you send all 6 back over USB to the VG?
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple with GK-3, Frankenstein MiM Fender with Graphtech Hexpander system, Breedlove Atlas AC250 with Synergy system, VG-99, FC-300, Cubase 4 Studio, Presonus Firepods, PodXT Pro and FBV controller, Shuttle XPC for DAW use, Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 combo with a 2x12 second cab

Elantric

>could you send all 6 back over USB to the VG?

The VG-99 USB Audio hardware does not support that - it can be no more than 2 channels in / 2 channels out.

Elantric

Paresh

Could I process a recorded vocal back through the 99 to make use of the fX chain?
paresh

padr81

Quote from: Elantric on February 04, 2008, 10:25:12 PM

1) In VG-99 Editor tab called "USB Out to PC" = make this "from Normal PU"

4) In VG-99 Editor tab called "USB In from PC" = make this "COSM GTR A" or "COSM GTR B"

There you are re-amping!

hi mate, when i try this with sonar all i get is a ton of distortion on even clean patches, any idea why

baatkarlo

I use Ableton Live to capture individual strings as MIDI into separate MIDI tracks via the "VG-99 USB MIDI-In" using a MONO setting on MIDI (which gives each string as a separate MIDI channel. You can assign any VSTi to the individual MIDI tracks and send to USB Audio Out from Ableton into VG-99 Guitar In then re-amp per the instructions by Elantric.

This will let you selectively apply reamping to each string signal based on the VSTi you assign to the Ableton Live MIDI track's output audio signal by muting the tracks you don't want to re-amp individually.

The other option is to use Poly instead of Mono MIDI settings and reamp all MIDI channels into one audio signal. 

For an example of this approach, listen to http://soundcloud.com/rajiv-mistry/daiichi-2 which contains multiple VSTi's applied to various guitar string MIDI signals and mixed. I used the Ableton Live internal effects to modify the VSTi sounds in this song, but the re-amping approach via the VG-99 would work just as well here.
Eat sleep get up play. Eat sleep get up play. Eat sleep get up play.

Elantric

QuoteI use Ableton Live to capture individual strings as MIDI into separate MIDI tracks via the "VG-99 USB MIDI-In" using a MONO setting on MIDI (which gives each string as a separate MIDI channel. You can assign any VSTi to the individual MIDI tracks and send to USB Audio Out from Ableton into VG-99 Guitar In then re-amp per the instructions by Elantric.

This will let you selectively apply reamping to each string signal based on the VSTi you assign to the Ableton Live MIDI track's output audio signal by muting the tracks you don't want to re-amp individually.

The other option is to use Poly instead of Mono MIDI settings and reamp all MIDI channels into one audio signal. 

For an example of this approach, listen to http://soundcloud.com/rajiv-mistry/daiichi-2 which contains multiple VSTi's applied to various guitar string MIDI signals and mixed. I used the Ableton Live internal effects to modify the VSTi sounds in this song, but the re-amping approach via the VG-99 would work just as well here.

While this is good info for VSTi use with VG-99 in Ableton - the above technique is not the same as "VG-99 Re-Amping" - which allows you to use the VG-99 with a USB cable and your favorite Mac/PC Ampsim software (Guitar Rig, Amplitube, Mainstage, etc) instead of Roland COSM Amp models.

Further sonic excursions are possible if you employ  "VG-99 13 pin Re-Amping"

RMC Fan Out box pioneered this strategy for VG-8 users in the 1990's
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9733.msg69854#msg69854

Bill Bax has a good demonstration of whats possible with VG-99 13 pin Reamping- no MIDI involved.

http://www.separate-strings.co.uk/
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may13/articles/tonesearch-gk-breakout.htm