RMC V9SF-001 - VG-99 Internal Subsonic Filter board

Started by Elantric, March 23, 2008, 05:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VGasheville

Hi.. new member.  Is the email address in this topic still correct?  I sent an email but so far no response, and I would definitely like to get one of the filters for the VG.  I use a Godin Jazz Multiac.  Thanks.

Lerxst

Hi,

Im not sure is the address is still valid, but if the email didn't bounce then it's probably okay. You can also got to the RMC website for more contact information. Rich is a really smart and nice guy.
http://www.rmcpickup.com/

Kmachman

I emailed and got a response.  he quoted me 150 dollars plus shipping.  Thats is in Canadian dollars mind you.  But the dollar is darn near par now.
Jackson w/GK3
Roland VG-99
Roland GR-20
Digitech VL4
(On Order) Roland GR-55

agaskins

Does anyone have schematics for a DIY variant of this? I'm a VG-99 user that recently purchased a Brian Moore i8.13 (I refuse to call it an 'iGuitar', I'm still in denial that BM would even use that name, haha). I know this is mainly a mod to help the on board sounds that are affected by these sub-sonic frequencies, but there seems to be some speculation it may help tracking for external synth sounds. I would love to just have my Brian Moore track midi as well as my $400 Washburn w/ the GK-3... I've meticulously configured the VG-99 and experimented with string sensitivities... but it's still way looser feeling with MIDI than the Washburn/GK-3 combo. Any help / advice is greatly appreciated! By the way, I emailed RMC earlier this week and didn't get a response, so that's why I'm posting here looking for DIY variant of the mod.

clamhands

Quote from: agaskins on February 15, 2010, 08:06:23 AM
By the way, I emailed RMC earlier this week and didn't get a response, so that's why I'm posting here looking for DIY variant of the mod.

If you do some searching on the site, you'll see that Rick has been pretty open in his puiblic postings about the details of his circuit design and board (e.g. it employs a Butterworth filter).  This should be a good starting point for you or someone else on this forum to create your *own original* circuit design.   You *are* creating your own design and not simply looking to rip off Rick's proprietary design because you didn't get an answer to an email- right? :)

As far as I know, RMC customer service is basically a two person operation (Rick and his wife).  Long story short, RMC deals with guitar manufacturers, resellers, waranty issues, inquries, etc. all while Rick is trying to design new products.  If you don't hear back from them email them again...and again...they *will answer*.  BTW- when you do manage to get a hold of Rick or his wife, their service is outstanding (e.g. My brother bought me the VG-99 mod for Christmas and Rick's wife agreed to tell me that "it was out of stock" when I tried to order it to ensure I would be suprised with my gift- how cool is that?).  

germanicus

I had a GREAT experience with Richard Mclish. He went above and beyond working with me on a service issue that he had no duty to do as such. Stellar customer service and super refreshing.
My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

opus111

Hi all,

I also just wanted to say that I had a wonderful experience with this product.

I ordered it, it came quickly, the instructions were clear, I installed it in 10 minutes, and it worked first time.

Best of all -- I noticed an immediate improvement.  For example, the 12 string emulation now no longer "quacks".  In general all the electric guitar sounds are much clearer and tighter. 

Highly recommended upgrade!!!

Note that I use a GraphTech Ghost pickup on a Gadow Custom Hollow.

Cheers
Peter

jburns

does this take care of the "over-mic'ed"  problem alot of trem users are having? my ghost floyd bridge has thuds and ungrounded percusion type noises when i go to grab the trem bar or use it. also having this noise thudding problem when i tap the guitar body. and if this takes care of this, how well? im interested in shelling out if this seems to be a quick fix for my prob.

Billy Kaffadrin

Sounds like the problems in question. There are some before and after video examples here:

http://www.joness.com/gr300/vwham.htm
    Scroll down to "V9SF-001 Input Jack Board for VG-99: Improves GR-300 Emulation with Piezo Pickups"

These examples are using a synth patch on the VG99, but you will hear some of the same anomalies you are having with modeled sounds.

Hennisdk

Hey Guys

I have read through this whole thread, maybe I missed it.

Will this board effect the Roland GK3 Pick-Up in any way?

Regards

Hennis
Ibanez CT Series (Very Old)
Ibanez EDR470 Ergodyne - Cosmic Black (GK-3 PUP)
Epiphone Les Paul (Zakk Wylde)(GK-3 PUP)
Takamine EG523SCB (Warm sound with 12 Gauge Strings)

Line6 Spider IV 15 amp
Studio Monitors for VG-99

Roland VG-99
BOSS DS-1 Pedal
Sennheiser Wireless Guitar System

Jahloon

I asked Richard this question and he relied:

"These filters have a very steep rolloff below 
the lowest fundamental frequency, so they don't affect the music 
irrespectively of the type of pickup that's used to produce the 
signals. It's like the rumble filter in an old phono preamp. If your 
turntable didn't rumble, you could punch it in or out and it didn't 
matter."
Producer: Village of the Unfretted - double CD
Author: Fretless Guitar - The Definitive Guide
www.unfretted.com

baatkarlo

Roland released v1.04 firmware update which includes RMC as a selectable pickup type after the VG-99 is flashed.  There is a way to change the low frequency range tones in the settings as described in the attached pdf from Roland, which should mean that the RMC subsonic filter board is no longer necessary as Roland is using its own DSP to modify its response to various pickup types selected and allowing range tone modification in the settings directly.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=849&ParentId=53   Look under Downloads tab here.

The PDF file accompanying this describes the types of pickups supported in this version. (Attached)

I am anxiously awaiting my Carvin SH-575 with RMC bridge piezos and will report back how this goes since I've already applied v1.04 to my VG-99.

Eat sleep get up play. Eat sleep get up play. Eat sleep get up play.

Elantric

The 1.04 Firmware added new Piezo modes and EQ, but its no substitute for the RMC Subsonic filter board

LeeMorant

My new Lb63 and complete kit installed in my new Jem 7vwh is terrible for this I shall be buying a filter asap.

LeeMorant

has anyone in uk managed to buy a filter from richard recently?   the bank details he's supplying aren't what my bank needs to send him the cash, im wondering if the system has changed recently.

Jahloon

I've got the bank details from Richard and due to my bank's blistering inefeciency now cannot fax the request, but have to turn up in person, which I hope to do Monday.

@LeeMorant I will let you know how this goes, if you want to cross check details send a PM or email admin at my website.

@baatkarlo - the setting you mention is a general tonality whereas the RMC filter is a true low cut filter. My problem is not tone, but the transfer of low frequency sound affecting patches. ver 1.04 did address some howlers, but we are still awaiting true bug fixes requested prior to the release of 1.04.
www.unfretted.com

LeeMorant

finally beat sense into my bank, and at last the payments made (i hope)  lets hope everything goes according to plan for us :)

Jahloon

Lee, Well I turned up at the bank today in person, and found out two things:

1) All US / Canada bank codes are three digit. All Euro banks (and the transfer software) require 4 digit codes. You can add a leading zero to any US / Canada bank code to make it work, so code 016 becomes 0016.

2) You get an option as a sender to either pay both bank fees at either end or the recipient pays both bank fees. There is no option to just pay the sending fees.

They do assure me the dosh is on its way.  :)

www.unfretted.com

LeeMorant

well it will take a while i guess, fingers crossed it all works :))

LeeMorant

well i got my rmc filter and fitted it just now, it definately improves things a small amount, but i'm sad to say with the Lb63 Graphtech & complete system I wouldnt bother.  Great idea but with customs/shipping etc it cost me 180 quid  (UK), and it doesnt make a massive amount of difference.  The Lb63 is fantastic for acoustic sounds through P.A. however it's just a case that it doesnt seem to like the vg-99 very much.

On a side note if anyone with an electronics clue has a ibanez rg1520gk you should check out what they did electrics wise, the guitar triggers the vg perfectly with no artifacts at all on the gr patches, even before i installed the rmc filter. Im guessing they used really cheap piezos that arent as hot as graphtechs.

Richard was very helpful although I wish he'd get himself a paypal accout or similar :) and this mini report doesnt reflect on his bit of kit poorly, but more that the Graphtech lb63 isnt really suitable for vg'ing.  The filter seems to have help other iteratins of vg guitars very well.

Edit:

Ok after time to play, I've discovered a workaround that works (at least for me).  What Ive done is set up gk settings to patches, as these piezos are very very hot most of my normal guitar stuff sits with the level on each string set to around 15 (a lot lower that ive heard anyone else say) and for the gr patches I'm between 7 & 9 on each string, this has made a massive improvement and now synth sounds are usable.  Once i dropped the string sensitivity below 20 the rmc filter really seemed to kick in a lot and now my Jem works with the VG a treat yay!

hope this helps someone else

Jahloon

Oh... I'm still battling with the bank :( will update as and when.
www.unfretted.com

Vic1iful

Thanks for the update as I found my LB63 fantastic but like you siad it plays loud.

Gopaul

So is the general consensus that the filter is worth the expense? I'm also in the uk so we're looking at £180? I have a Godin xtSA and really want to use external MIDO - a Roland JV1080 to it's fullest.
PP
www.staustell-baptist.org.uk
Godin XTSA or GK3 equipped LP
VG-99
Gr-55
RC-30
Vocalist Live 3

Vic1iful

I'm new at this too. But I will try working with the editor first before investng in the filter. jmho

Jahloon

My bank are still playing silly beggars, if you are in the UK I may have a few tips to help you not get into the banking quagmire.

If you are thinking of using the VG-99 as a MIDI controller it is certainly not as good as a GI-20 or GR-20 fed into your 1080
www.unfretted.com