Guitar straight to amp - Any likely problems?

Started by cx1uk, July 27, 2014, 03:31:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cx1uk

Hi everyone... I'm new to the forum so this may have been addressed somewhere I haven't found yet... if so, apologies!

Having (probably) done too much reading on the forum before getting my GR-55, I was really worried about hum/earth problems. I want the GR-55 for synth sounds (and acoustic emulation), but was loathe to give up using valves for the majority of my sounds. As a result, I was already thinking about getting the GR-55 modded to give a separate Guitar out/loop...

I shouldn't have worried. I've just tried running the GK-3 without connecting the guitar output, and running a lead straight into my Boogie* See picture below.. It works... BUT... here's the question... am I likely to have earth loop problems? My reading suggests I should be experiencing hums/buzzes, but so far nothing. My fear is that I suddenly find it making a racket when I use it on a gig.

Any of the more experienced users got any thoughts/hints/tips?

GK3 - Guitar Out by cx1uk, on Flickr
Strat Plus
PRS CE Custom24
Taylor A10e
Fender and Bassman Amps
Korg Synths
GR-55
GT-100

Mac Software

and a banjo (Sorry)

Elantric

Your pic describes how I use my GR-55 most of the time, with two cables from the guitar. No ground loops here either. I'm careful to use the same AC wall outlet for all gear. Ground Loop noise does not exist for most of us, but important to know the steps (and tools) to tame it should it manifest at gigs, where there are more variables than a home studio.

whippinpost91850

I think most are using the 2 cable method, just as you have tried. As long as you are plugged into the same source, It shouldn't be an issue. You may have to run a direct box with a ground lift to run GR55 outputs to PA

cx1uk

I've got some spare DI boxes so will pack them to be safe. I'm running the GR-55 plus my keyboards through my own submixer before sending it to the main PA. Will need to watch out for that as a source if noise.

Thanks for the replies. I'm loving this forum! :)
Strat Plus
PRS CE Custom24
Taylor A10e
Fender and Bassman Amps
Korg Synths
GR-55
GT-100

Mac Software

and a banjo (Sorry)