Kemper Profiling amp- "amp clone" beyond modeling!

Started by RicardoLove, March 02, 2011, 04:42:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whippinpost91850

Still using FCB1010 with stock uno chip so I can controll my GR55 as well as KPA

merman93

Quote from: thebrushwithin on July 30, 2014, 05:20:32 AM
this new gear lust - crazy, but brings out the kid in me!

I'm with you!

My problem is I buy this, and that, But I can't bring myself to sell stuff I've "temporarily lost interest in" and then, as my girlfriend says , I end up with a house that looks like a pawn shop, :)
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Fender Deluxe Players Strat (GK KIT)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
Hamer Phantom A7 (24 pin)
BX 13 (24 -13 pin converter)
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

mbenigni

QuoteBut I can't bring myself to sell stuff I've "temporarily lost interest in"

Same... and I'm in denial of the plain fact that I have enough toys to keep me busy 24 hours a day, and maybe an hour a week to actually play with them.   ::)

Hell, finding time to sell them is challenging.

thebrushwithin

QuoteMy problem is I buy this, and that, But I can't bring myself to sell stuff I've "temporarily lost interest in" and then, as my girlfriend says , I end up with a house that looks like a pawn shop,

Exactly! Sounds like a reality show mashup between the hoarder show, and the pawnbroker show! The thing is, my basement has become my "junk drawer" for gear, I think I may need at some point. And unfortunately, sometimes it's true, and so I win/lose that argument with myself. I occasionally throw something away, that has deteriorated beyond use, such as the original Sequential Circuits Model 800 sequencer, which when I dug it out, had really nasty goop coming out, probably from a battery, and it was such a mess. Also a Gizmotron, which had lost its "teeth" and was unuseable. Vintage is not always the best thing to hold on to, especially electronics. I'm getting up in age, a bit now, and I think many of those who survive me, may disagree with the saying "you can't take it with you", and just bury some of my stuff with me. Can't blame them. ;D

whippinpost91850

Quote from: mbenigni on July 30, 2014, 12:54:27 PM
Same... and I'm in denial of the plain fact that I have enough toys to keep me busy 24 hours a day, and maybe an hour a week to actually play with them.   ::)

Hell, finding time to sell them is challenging.
How true, and at my age it's time to start doing a little house cleaning. ???

merman93

Although I have Parallels for a few work related projects, I didn't install a windows version of Rig Manager so this is my first experience with it.

Rig Manager is awesome ! Its basic, does whats its supposed to, no glitches. Im thinking of how many ways I can benefit from it. Obviously, it is a fantastic organizing tool. The ability to test out new rigs from Rig Exchange immediately is wonderful.

I am setting up folders with gig ready patches for different needs etc. Im thrilled over a simple rig management tool.

Now that I will be having a laptop permanently integrated into my live setup, (initially integrated to deal with USB/Midi), I can use it for KPA Management, GP-10 Boss Tone Studio, as well as many other functions.

I tried something different last night, I put the USB/Audio of GP-10 in one of the alternative modes, (can't remember if it was mix or re-guitar 1 or 2),and used it as my interface for Soft Synths installed in my MacBook Air. That basically eliminates having to use my Apogee and a separate summing mixer. I think I am going to also be able to eliminate my A/B switcher. That is the initial input to my pedal board that allows to me to switch between GP-10, or regular non 13 pin guitars. I have just been plugging my regular guitar into the gp-10 guitar in lately and once I get all my levels figured out, I think that could be a permanent solution.

So much good stuff happening lately !!!!
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

scratch17

I just bought a new KPA from GC. It should arrive soon.  ;D

I've been wanting one for a very long time.

I already have a Mesa Recto recording Pre, a Mesa 20/20 and a pair of open back Mesa Vintage Black Shadow 1 x 10 cabs. I am wondering how well the KPA will be able to profile my Mesa rig. If it is really close, I'll sell the Mesa gear.

I got the rack version. I have a pair of Line 6 L2M's and a Mackie Onyx 1620 mixer for my personal rig, so I don't need the built in amp. I'll let others on the forum know how the KPA does with my PA.

I also have access to a lot of amps owned by friends. I suspect that if the KPA profile of their amp is close to spot on, it will push them onto buying their own KPA's.

Steven Kastner

Hamer Duotone, Brian Moore i213, Taylor 710 BCE 

VG-99, FC-300, RMC Fanout
RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
68 Fender Bandmaster (AB763)
Marshal AS80R

UA Apollo X6, Twin X, Logic Pro, Luna, Melodyne Studio

mbenigni

QuoteI think I am going to also be able to eliminate my A/B switcher. That is the initial input to my pedal board that allows to me to switch between GP-10, or regular non 13 pin guitars. I have just been plugging my regular guitar into the gp-10 guitar in lately and once I get all my levels figured out, I think that could be a permanent solution.

The effects loop/ aux in features on the KPA itself can be very powerful for eliminating the need for an A/B switcher, too.  The KPA kind of doubles as a central mixer if you want if it to.

merman93

Interesting video of Kemper automation for live use.

This has given me inspiration to attempt a few automated sequences myself, changing effects, and even controlling them. There at least a few songs in my set list that have consistent leads and effects that I will try this with, although more of my lead breaks change to audience reaction, my mood etc.
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

IanRamos

VERY cool ... i think it would make me feel somehow like i'm cheating if i would use this live ... but it sure looks comfortable , no more pedals needed !

Elantric

This video shows you how to set up a Mastermind GT MIDI Foot controller to control a Kemper Profiling Amp. It shows how to set up preset access, control of individual effect slots, tap tempo and remote tuner display.

Elantric

This is a reasonably simple review of the inside and out of the Kemper Rack version of the profiling amp. I used to have one of the stand alone versions but sold it and upgraded to this rack version. I never did get really inside the stand alone version but its easier to see what's inside this beast. And there are some interesting bits and pieces.

This one does not have a Kemper amplifier inside and I drive it through a Multiamp for the amp to the speakers. I show you how to very easily do that in the Multiamp. I also show the inside of the Kemper Rack and confirm the build quality. Later I talk about some of the newer features briefly (but not really in great depth) and conclude the video accordingly.

This is not meant to be a definitive video of the Kemper and I don't play anywhere on this video as there are thousands of other guys doing that. But few or none actually show you what's inside the Kemper Preamp, which is why this video is different. You actually see what you are buying as opposed to just another grey box.

There are a few hardware things I don't really discuss in this video that I could have done, but those are going to be for the written review of the inside and out of the Kemper preamp on my website so you will have to wait a short while for that, but there are some useful and interesting points that I make my own assumptions about. Those are my own views and not necessarily those of Kemper. I am in no way associated with Kemper except that I have bought and own one myself.

Kemper make a really great product as you will see in the video and it's one I'll be keeping ;-) There are few products out there that even come close to the Kemper Profiler and if you like lots of diversity then this is the amp for you.

For a written review (coming soon) visit www.tonymckenzie.com as I will discuss other aspects of the inside of the Kemper preamp and show images not really seen in my short video reviews here on YouTube.

(c) A B Mckenzie and tonymckenzie.com 2013.
All Rights Reserved. All Trademarks Acknowledged.

scratch17

RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
Marshal AS80R

thebrushwithin

The Kemper folks are about to give us a dynamite upgrade, for profile separation of amp and cabinet. The KPA is awesome and such upgrades will further separate it from the pack. It is a great time to be a guitarist!!!
QuoteWe are currently preparing major innovations of the Profile format, which we are planning to release with firmware 3.0 officially. However these new features are already included – but hidden – in firmware 2.8.0. Technically Interested users are invited to check out these innovations and provide feedback before official release.

The main benefits of this new format are perfect separation between Amplifier and Cabinet Profiles, the ability to handle so-called "Direct Amp Profiles" (those created without a cabinet) in an accurate fashion, and the opportunity to merge such Direct Amp Profiles with cabinets either copied from any usual Studio Profile or with Cabinet Presets generated from impulse responses via CabMaker (v. 2.0).

Resulting so-called "Merged Profiles" behave authentically, regardless whether the cabinet simulation is switched on or off. Practically you could simultaneously use the Studio Profile for FOH and the Direct Amp Profile for your guitar speaker cabinet on stage.

Please find detailed information related to these new profiling features and links to experimantal firmware in the attached document:
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55...s and Merged Profiles.pdf

Caution: Profiles created leveraging this new Profiling format are not downward compatible and may not be shared with un-informed users. Don't offer these commercially before official release. The new Profiles could generate noise or other trouble if used with elder firmware revisions. Consequently Rig Exchange doesn't accept their upload for the time being.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55669979/Direct%20Amp%20Profiles%20and%20Merged%20Profiles.pdf

scratch17

The folks at Kemper keep making my investment in their product better. It is almost like reverse depreciation!

RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
Marshal AS80R

whippinpost91850

Yes, is a update I've been waiting awhile for. KPA just keeps getting more added value

Elantric

FWIW -  Kemper is on sale at Hello Music - just an average price.

http://www.hellomusic.com/items/kemper-amps-profiling-amplifier?utm_source=am-email-12-6-2014&utm_medium=np-email&utm_campaign=Guitarist

But if HelloMusic ( an excess inventory M.I. Gear liquidator outlet) is selling it, this must mean Dealers are liquidating existing KPA inventory for a good reason - and with NAMM only 6 weeks away  - I'll leave it to you to predict my own conclusion.

vablows

That is still higher than the price was 2 years ago when I bought mine.
I ended up using a 15% off code at americanmusical and got mine for just under $1600 brand new.
I think they are just clearing out their white toaster stock a little.
There is no new KPA coming anytime soon.
Foot controller will be at NAMM.

On a side note, anyone with a KPA needs to get the Michael Britt pack 2 and you will never stop playing it!
It's THAT good!

scratch17

QuoteFoot controller will be at NAMM.

Vablows, do you have any inside info on this?

RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
Marshal AS80R

vablows

No, but by all accounts on the KPA forum it should finally be here.

If not, there might be riots! lol

whippinpost91850

Quote from: vablows on December 09, 2014, 10:09:34 AM
No, but by all accounts on the KPA forum it should finally be here.

If not, there might be riots! lol
Vablows, I'm with ya there!!!!!

mbenigni

I strapped an iRig Pro and MIDI Solutions Event Processor to a monitor isolation wedge - cut to fit the back of the KPA toaster - with elastic bands.  Pops in and out easily, and with an iPhone running JamOrigin and Sampletank, effectively adds guitar synth to my KPA.  If I send CC7 to the KPA for a volume pedal, the Event Processor will invert the values at MIDI Thru, and send them to the iRig to crossfade from synth to guitar.  Still no pitch bend from iOS JamOrigin :( but otherwise this is working great!

Elantric

Cool setup!

FWIW - here is link which explains fixing a "too Dim" LCD on the Kemper

Kemper Dark LCD Stompbox Editing Fix
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13485.0

mbenigni

whippinpost91850

Quote from: mbenigni on January 05, 2015, 01:49:12 PM
I strapped an iRig Pro and MIDI Solutions Event Processor to a monitor isolation wedge - cut to fit the back of the KPA toaster - with elastic bands.  Pops in and out easily, and with an iPhone running JamOrigin and Sampletank, effectively adds guitar synth to my KPA.  If I send CC7 to the KPA for a volume pedal, the Event Processor will invert the values at MIDI Thru, and send them to the iRig to crossfade from synth to guitar.  Still no pitch bend from iOS JamOrigin :( but otherwise this is working great!
Mark, this sounds like a very cool rig  I may just have to give it a try when I get my new 6plus on Sunday