GR-55 - My first patch - "Bill Frisell"

Started by sine_3000, March 30, 2015, 11:26:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sine_3000

Ok, I've made some good progress understanding the basic programming of the GR-55.  I've decided to start with a COSM-only patch.

I love Bill Frisell (many of us do! ;) and I thought his tone(s) would be a good test of my abilities, and also the GR-55.

So here it is.  It's a Telecaster guitar COSM set to defaults; a VO Clean (Combo) amp sim with 1x12" and a flat mic; the "Distortion" distortion pedal (lol); some mildly scooped mid and cut low end on the EQ; tremolo on the MFX; tape delay; and hall reverb.

Here's where it gets fun - the CTRL switch turns on/off the tremolo; the EXP pedal turns on and off the distortion!  So you can cut back or boost the distortion from dirty to insanely OD'd.

And when the EXP pedal is turned OFF (which  turns off the distortion, leaving you with the clean tone) it controls the TONE volume, (not the PATCH volume) - so the delayed echoes continue to play, while the guitar tone volume is modulated up and down.  Lets you get some great volume swell/steel guitar effects, like Bill does.

The clean tone is as sparkly and sharp as I could get it - frankly I'm impressed with the GR-55's performance here, because I'm so used to hearing grit or crunch in every patch I've demo'd.

Anyway, I hope some of you Bill Frisell fans can try this out and let me know what you think (also non-Frisell fans!).  I don't have the GR-55 MIDI'd in to my PC yet, so I can't record an MP3 sample - but I will ASAP, just to let folks hear it before they download and play the patch.

I feel pretty excited about this result, and I have to say I'm pretty pleased with it, as a first foray into programming tones/patches!  I hope you like it, and leave me some feedback about it.  Thanks.

Elantric

Since we support several generations of GK13 pin processors  - we have a recently implemented a new rule for prefacing new patches posted to Vguitarforums with the name of the target Gk 13 pin processor  - thus my renaming this thread

"GR-55 - My first patch - "Bill Frisell""

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13341.msg97567#msg97567

sine_3000

Ok, NP.  Thanks, I didn't know, and that makes good sense.