GR-55 "Initial Impressions" by new owners.

Started by Elantric, February 04, 2011, 08:03:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HCarlH

Has anybody tried to place an OD/Distortion pedal BEFORE an amp model?
GR-55 (or) Fishman TP + Kemper Profiling Rack -->> 
QSC K10 -->> FOH
Fender Squier Stratocaster Bullet (w/GK3), Ibanez AM93 (w/FTP pickup),  Stratocaster (w/FTP pickup)

Telecaster, Charvel SoCal ProMod, Gibson Les Paul, PV Wolfgang,

gumtown

Quote from: hcarlh on February 05, 2011, 07:56:59 PM
Has anybody tried to place an OD/Distortion pedal BEFORE an amp model?
I don't think the effects chain is m oveable,
so the question has to be "does the distortion sound like it's placed before the amp?"

if someone has a gt-10 to compare both, with simular settings on the GT-10,
try the distortion before and after the preamp, and see which sounds like the GR-55.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

LouieAtienza

Quote from: jassy on February 05, 2011, 05:27:08 PM
The first impressions about the midi tracking sound interesting, even more the ones from axon users.

But how is the tracking in the in the low #6 string? here is where the problems with previous Roland units are. Can anyone with the unit test it with different PCM sounds (only PCM please) and share with us if there is a delay? there is where the Axon shines, so its equal or better than the axon?

Also would be very interesting if someone can share how it tracks with external synths.

thanks in advance!.

In my early use, I find the initial tracking on the low E string really good, better than the GR-33, but maybe just a tad under par to the AXON.  Where the AXON shines, to me, on the low E (and A) is when you're doing a very fast run; like tremolo picking, the Roland may not pick up all the tremolo notes.  I usually run 9's, but I swapped out the bass strings from a set of 10's (36 and 46 A and E strings) and that helped a lot.

Normally however, when I'm using PCM sounds, I'm either doing walking bass lines, or using the 6 or 5 string for a pedal tone, where I'm not affected by it.  My preliminary test, with my friend, driving soft synths in Garage Band have been vvery impressive.  I havevn't plugged it in to the JV-1080 yet, but honestly, the sounds seem to be better than the JV-1080 anyway (I was using the AXON with the JV-1080, driving the AXON with the 13-pin through of the VG-99).

3dognate

Hey, Louie.... glad you got yours. I'm going through the learning curve of adapting it to my current rig... I'll have to gig with this thing on the 26th.

I too am very pleased with the tracking on the lower strings... Roland did a nice job with this unit. I need to get in and figure out how to control it with MIDI CC# changes from another device other than just patch/program changes.

Nathan
>>> http://www.tddRocks.com <<<

My live rig consists of:
-Noel Custom Guitars both GK and Ghost Equipped
-Digitech GSP1101 + Control2
-Roland GR-55 Guitar Synth
-EV ELX112P FRFR monitors
-Gator Cases
-Miller High-Life

ZenSonic

My initial impression of the GR55 while using it for about 45 minutes in conjunction with a pair of Roland CM30 Monitors and a Roland Ready Strat..........many of the patches are very warm, fat and usable with a bit of personal adjustment. Tracking seems better than the GR33 to the point where it feels like a non issue..  For me, stereo is obviously the way to go with the GR55 as it  adds a sense of spaciousness and dimension to some of the patches that is palpable when doing stereo/mono A/B testing. Can't wait to start tweaking parameters....a very large palate to create from indeed IMO.

Elantric

How are those Roland CM-30 Monitors?

I love the small form factor - and shocked that a 6.5 inch speaker can work well. These were what Gundy Keller used at the GR-55 NAMM booth- but he was not that loud.

But could you compete with a heavy handed drummer with a GR-55 feeding a pair of those CM-30's?

Do they "clip and distort" when set "too loud"?

ZenSonic

Quote from: Elantric on February 06, 2011, 08:41:29 AM
How are those Roland CM-30 Monitors?

I love the small form factor - and shocked that a 6.5 inch speaker can work well. These were what Gundy Keller used at the GR-55 NAMM booth- but he was not that loud.

But could you compete with a heavy handed drummer with a GR-55 feeding a pair of those CM-30's?

Do they "clip and distort" when set "too loud"?
I would think that If you hide the drummers 5B sticks and replace them with 5As at your gigs you could get away with it! HeHe..With a pair of CM30s one has 6 usable channels and perhaps no need for an external mixer. I have a Miata as my only car so space is at a premium as you might imagine. They are great for small to small/medium gigs. I play mostly solo at art openings so I have not tested them in a band situation. They are surprisingly clean at surprisingly high volumes for such a compact package. A good Reverb would be nice but missing IMO.

Kevin M

Quote from: 3dognate on February 05, 2011, 05:23:30 PM
Gumtown pretty well nailed it... I was able to switch patches normally while the file was playing... Not 100% sold on using it live though... we'll see how it works out... If I can call up a particular track along with a patch put the thing in player mode and start play with the "3" button... I might try it out. We run a mono mix live... I might dedicate the L or right channel to a click track and only put that in the drummer's mix. He's the only one that uses in ear monitors.....

What about using an external MIDI controller (such as FC300) to perform the function of patch change while leaving the GR-55 in player mode?

3dognate

Quote from: kmaus10 on February 06, 2011, 09:37:25 AM
What about using an external MIDI controller (such as FC300) to perform the function of patch change while leaving the GR-55 in player mode?

that works too. I was using my digitech gsp1101+control2 to do changes.

My live rig consists of:
-Gator Cases
-Miller High-Life

jassy

Thanks to all for the comments about the tracking.

Quote from: LouieAtienza on February 06, 2011, 07:58:43 AM
  My preliminary test, with my friend, driving soft synths in Garage Band have been vvery impressive.  I havevn't plugged it in to the JV-1080 yet, but honestly, the sounds seem to be better than the JV-1080 anyway (I was using the AXON with the JV-1080, driving the AXON with the 13-pin through of the VG-99).

Well, equal or surpass the Axon in the lowest notes would surely be  too much hope, if its close, maybe I could replace my ax50. The thing to me is to not have that broke feeling when suddenly some low notes have a significant delay. The fact that the midi out (at least via usb) is also good, is a also good news.

What you say about the JV1080 sounds very promising, did not have much hope for the synth.

Thanks for sharing.

lilbman

How about some videos from the early adopters? I would really appreciate a walk-through demonstration of all the stock presets and external midi triggering to another (soft) synth. Stereo would be awesome. Thank you in advance. ;D
lah dee dah tah dah

gumtown

So..... not much to say about the new GR-55 today ?? ???
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

I hear its a big day for sports TV in the states - I'm working on a PCB project.

pjmuck

Any bass players got theirs yet? I'm curious to hear your impressions, specifically whether or not Roland's made any advances in the latency/tracking of lower notes when playing PCM sounds.

Mine's due to arrive tomorrow, so I'll be testing it out with both guitar and bass. My bass is strung with piccolo strings and a GK3B right now, so I'm very anxious to see which mode the GR-55 will require to work best, if at all (guitar or bass mode). (My GR-33 wasn't designed to work with bass, but the piccolo strings "tricked" it into thinking I was playing guitar, and thus works great). I'll then test it out with a bass strung in normal register to see what kind of results I get with that.
Live gear:

Boss GM-800
Boss GKC-AD
Boss Katana Artist 100
Fender Mustang GTX100
Roland GR-33
Liquid Foot Jr. midi foot controller
Boss EV-5
Godin LGX-SA guitar (lefty)
Line 6 Variax 500 guitar (lefty)
Carvin LB50 w GK3B

clearlight

I got mine Friday at the end of the day.
I played with it at work all day saturday and sunday.
I've had the unit a short time with guitars not really setup 100% for it so keep that in mind.
BASICS:
Its a nice unit. Fairly sturdy.......the looper is functional for a 20 second model and i feel like it autoquantises at least the beginning of the loop, as I'm used to "auto start" looping on my RC50 and the loops just lopped perfectly a little too easily. Sounds are good, sometimes rudimentary, but quite useable. Many have that "look what I can do" quality presets often have, as they are trying to showcase
the capabilities of the unit.

MODELING:
So far pretty good but not quite VG99 quality.
Haven't delved into the editing much so can't say much more.

SYNTH SOUNDS:
Basic but useable. I'm used to my xv5050 being fed by my VG99, and the sounds are simple by comparison, but thats to be expected.

TRACKING:
Tracks extremely well. As good as my vg99 which is more "setup" than this new unit is. I think that the simple layered sounds and attacks range and decay being setup already makes a huge difference.

EDITING:
What little editing I did was easy once you get that "weird virtual tabs" thing like on the vg99.

SUMMARY:
A very nice unit that does what i needed it to do: be a fraction  of my vg99,xv5050, and rc50 that i could take around with me easily.

I'd considering making a video of "preset one for a minute, preset 2, for a minute" etc if theres enough curiousity.
My Music
My Band Website
GUITARS: 2x RG1521, 3x RG321 w/gk, Rg721 Fretless Modified, AmStd FatStrat w/gk, various others....
XV5050,Triton etc..
KOMPLETE 7
VGUITAR Stuff: VG99, FC300, RC5-

Elantric

QuoteI'd considering making a video of "preset one for a minute, preset 2, for a minute" etc if theres enough curiousity.

Good review

I look forward to your 270 minute epic!

gumtown

maybe 10 seconds each patch maybe enough for a general idea of the sounds :-)

jassy

Quote from: clearlight on February 06, 2011, 04:04:44 PM

I'd considering making a video of "preset one for a minute, preset 2, for a minute" etc if theres enough curiousity.

Im curious for sure ;D

ddlooping

Diaz Guitars (work in progress)

res075oh@gte.net

I have an alternate tuning on my GR-30 that is -17,-17,-17,-17,-16,-17 and it gives me BEADGC bass tuning from a six string guitar.  I hope I can do something similar with the GR-55.

James

Quote from: pjmuck on February 06, 2011, 03:25:55 PM
Any bass players got theirs yet? I'm curious to hear your impressions, specifically whether or not Roland's made any advances in the latency/tracking of lower notes when playing PCM sounds.

Mine's due to arrive tomorrow, so I'll be testing it out with both guitar and bass. My bass is strung with piccolo strings and a GK3B right now, so I'm very anxious to see which mode the GR-55 will require to work best, if at all (guitar or bass mode). (My GR-33 wasn't designed to work with bass, but the piccolo strings "tricked" it into thinking I was playing guitar, and thus works great). I'll then test it out with a bass strung in normal register to see what kind of results I get with that.

gumtown

Quote from: res075oh@gte.net on February 06, 2011, 07:14:33 PM
I have an alternate tuning on my GR-30 that is -17,-17,-17,-17,-16,-17 and it gives me BEADGC bass tuning from a six string guitar.  I hope I can do something similar with the GR-55.

James
should be able to, the manual indicates a range of -24 to +24 (2 octaves up or down).

HAMERMAN409

Quote from: mbenigni on February 04, 2011, 09:14:05 AM
OMG.  I just wrote a book and then clicked on the "compatibility view" button and poof.  :(
That you Darc?

Jim Williams

Thank you all for your first impressions, there a lot of different opinions some good and some not so much. I can't wait till mine arrives. It is clear that it depends on the users needs weather or not it is the all in one solution for their guitar rig. I hope it will be what I am looking for.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

mbenigni

QuoteThat you Darc?

:) Yes it is.  How have you been, Hamerman?  What gave me away, my verbosity or my bad luck with computers?

3dognate

It'd sure be nice if there was a single selection you could pick to reset a preset back to square one with everything off and at default values and all the CTL and Control change setting GONE.... It's annoying having to undo a factory preset (in user space) to be able to do a new patch... All of my patch creation gotchas so far are because of not catching something in the previous settings.

My live rig consists of:
-Gator Cases
-Miller High-Life