GR-55 - Playing Drum Sounds

Started by Biggredd, April 23, 2015, 01:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggredd

Tried doing an advanced search and answer isn't jumping out at me. I've scrolled through everything, I thought, multiple times and I can't find the drum patches. What am I doing wrong?

Elantric

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3672.msg24802#msg24802

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=12499.msg90778#msg90778

Here's my solo version of Steely Dan's Black Cow.

Took me a while to get the drum patch to have a playable configuration & it's very unforgiving. I found that  using the top 2 strings only improved the delay/latency thing.

The looper function is usable if you remember to activate it before starting playing, it works best when you don't actually come out of the loop.

The main patch has normal pickup (nylon),
E BASS JB to the 5th & 6th strings with the modelling sound
Dyno EP trim on PCM2 strings 1-4
Soft Pad 2 on PCM1 strings 1-4

Solo done by a .335 sound.

mbenigni

Wow, that Paul Rumbol video is very impressive!

MusicOverGear

On the playing tip, aspire to this:

Or Futureman (Vic Wooten's brother)

Real old-school drumming on a controller. Probably have to invent some new techniques.

DreamTheory

I use the DAW to build layers, first kick snare, then whatever. usually separate tracks for toms, hi hat, rides, crashes, other perc. I have a whole ride patch with each string giving a different pitched ride (I like variety), and CTL for reverse cymbal. I think that's on the user created patches area of this forum.

I trust you found the drum kits. EDIT- TONE-select PCM 1 or 2- use jog wheel to dial up the drum kits (see manual for tone #). Also you can navigate by tone group with arrow button once you select the tone- saves time.
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

Fusion

I have a lot of fun with the Beat&Groove DRUM 829-839 voices set the tempo accordingly and rig the hold type 2 and you can play a lot of riffs and things across the drum patterns, off hold, switch chords and rehold can be rather entertaining. For sure not any sort of blues thing.
New Beat Buddy drum unit is the thing these days, creates drums to match your chord and rhythm pattern, rather cool from what I have heard. I am looking to get one as soon as I am able.
"Long ago in days of old when magic filled the air..."