GR-55 - 1.50 Firmware installation

Started by curteye, June 28, 2012, 06:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrchevy

Maybe a sun glass would help  ;). Sorry, don't want to take this thread off subject. I don't know if I would benefit form the update but would definately like to try out the new patches. Did I read correctly that it adds to what is already there in v1.20 presets or does it replace some of the presets/
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

shawnb

Update worked great here as well.   No issue with S1/S2.  Went very quickly & easily. 

Was pleasantly surprised to see my settings & user patches appeared untouched. 

The longest time sync was recalling how to use the Librarian to backup my patches before doing the update...   I use it so infrequently, it took a while staring at the Main screen before the synapses fired...

*** Too early to tell, but I think I'm having far fewer mousey-death-squeals on my sax (and other previously touchy) patches...   Is it just me or do others feel an improvement there?    ???

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Bermanator

O.K., I (finally) got it working after the upgrade (required a factory preset to get the unit to respond to S1/2).
Delay between patch changes seems a bit(?) quicker- still costs you about one beat during a typical rock song.

One bug I've found:  The "Captain Nylon" patch (lead 32-1) is a distorted mess, but the same patch on the User side works.

Hopefully an updated editor is in the works (we love u gumtown..) ;D

NoahB

Ok I'm gonna change the photoshoped pic of me. it was the only pic of me in my computer and the only reason I used it was cause it looks neat but I will get one up of my real eye soon!lolol the new firmware seems to be fine havnt done much with the gr yet but all my user patches stayed intact. I will update when and if I notice anything else.
Jeff beck strat, GandL custom classic semi-hollow bluesboy tele,  mesa roadster, sy300 thru pair of peavey 15d powered pa speakers, big pedal board full of stuff.

NoahB

Ps. My gr-300 crtl problem still exists. I have tried switching the assigments from toggle to moment and that seems to solve the problem other than I don't want the octive up and eq to only be when I hold the pedal I want it to toggle. So if there is some more advise or help with tracking this down it would still be much appriciated.
Jeff beck strat, GandL custom classic semi-hollow bluesboy tele,  mesa roadster, sy300 thru pair of peavey 15d powered pa speakers, big pedal board full of stuff.

NoahB

Wow I just discover something very strange about that problem with the gr-300 sound. I have the patch on 17-2 when I change to the patch from 17-1 where "dreams on and on" lives the patch functions normally but when I switch from 17-3 "EJ clean" down to it the problem occurs! So now I'm confused. The only difference that I see is that ej clean has the ctrl pedal engaged and dream on doesn't so when I switch to gr-300 it still acts as if my crtl is engaged. I'm pretty sure this is a bug that wasn't fixed with the new firmware. Any thoughts?

mockchoi

So it sounds as if the system settings from before the update are retained after the update?  Is it possible to back up the system settings, apply the update, and then restore the system settings onto the updated GR-55 if necessary?

Elantric

I suspect you may want to perform a full factory reset after applying the update, just to reset all system and patch controllers back to a known default state.

Then try restoring your presets from your backup file.

Toby Krebs

Played a fancy bar-eatery Thursday gig I usually do with an acoustic and an ME-25 last night. Used the GR-55 to back up a female singer and another acoustic guitarist- vocalist. Having acoustic guitar-piano-electric piano-tele-strat-jazz box-nylon( with and without string pad sounds) etc... made the gig a lot more enjoyable for me and my fellow musicians. I was itching to play some of the backing tracks I have been loading to a usb stick but decided to wait until next time. The GR-55 is great for so many things I do I think I will wait a while before doing any factory firmware updates. Using the editor/librarian has got me real close to where I want to be with this wonderful unit.Best of luck to all of you who are brave enough to try it!

tekrytor

Quote from: NoahB on June 29, 2012, 03:16:04 PM
Ps. My gr-300 crtl problem still exists. I have tried switching the assigments from toggle to moment and that seems to solve the problem other than I don't want the octive up and eq to only be when I hold the pedal I want it to toggle. So if there is some more advise or help with tracking this down it would still be much appriciated.

Check the GLOBAL PEDAL/GK settings under the SYSTEM button on the FloorBoard editor versus the MASTER PEDAL/GK settings and the CONTROLLER ASSIGNS. You could have some controller conflicts. You will probably want to set some controls for momentary and some for toggle mode, depending on how you want to use the effect and the type of switch you are using. There are some good posts in the TOP THINGS TO KNOW thread on CONTROLLER ASSIGNS, Jim Williams wrote a nice PDF and Gumtown explained well it in several posts on this topic. Search for their posts on CONTROLLER ASSIGNS, too. I used most of their info in the FloorBoard Help files, so perhaps it can help too, along with the Owner's Manual of course.

The CONTROLLER ASSIGNS take a little effort and experimentation to grasp fully, for me anyway; but they open up the real power of the GR-55. There are 15 possible controllers, if you use an external controller with the CONTROLLER ASSIGNS. Not enough for some user, and maybe too many for other users.

Bottom line, I may be wrong, but I think these are not update related issues.

Oh, and about that eye...keep it, Dude! It's cool!
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

prsrick

If you back up everything including the system parameters to USB stick before the update, can you restore everthing after the update and get back everything, e.g.  Your defined guitars sensitivity etc etc ?

Please advise.  Thanks!

NoahB

I did a factory reset but befor I did I backed up my patches using the floorboard bulk backup but ran out of time right after so didn't get to see if that fixed the problems yet. But until just now I hadn't even thought about backing up my system settings so I'm guessing later I will have to go thru and set them back up but that's not that big of a task. I will keep posting as I see how things pan out. Thanks for all of your help

gumtown

if you use the usb stick for a backup, this will clone the entire gr55 guitar mode and bass mode patches and all system settings.
the backup can be used on another gr55 and give you exactly the same setup.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

NoahB

Well I wish I had thought of that but its ok at least I backed up my patches. I will go thru and remeasure my saddles to gk pickup tomrw and reset the string sensitivity

prsrick

But since all presets are on Rom and only user patches and system patches are on nonvolatile ram, so will restore from USB stick work without affect other hard coded ROM data?

Elantric

A restore from USB stick does not impact the  firmware  version or factory Presets.

tekrytor

Yes. It works fine. You can restore one or multiple patches, like with the editor or the librarian, only using the front panel instead. This is actually a good thing to practice occasionally, in case you ever need to do it at a gig, on stage, while the band and a crowd are waiting. You will be glad you practiced it if you only need it once. It can take a mintute if you know how and 5 if you need to learn how live.
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

SP2333

Did my backup and update today.  All went smoothly with no glitches.  I much enjoyed flicking through the new patches. Some very usable sounds in there.

shambolic

Anyone updated from version 1.0 to 1.5 yet? i was going to go 1.2 to !.5 but they seem to have removed 1.2 from the site.

piriolirio

I've updated the unit yesterday. No problems, everything worked fine, system settings are the same and S1/S2 switches are working fine. Many of the new patches are very good, expecially the clean + pads sounds that I really like. I play in a progressive rock band and these patches will be very useful in that kind of music. I agree with many of you that the number of the update is wrong. Maybe a 1.20 would have been better. We have to wait 2.0 for real improvements. See you, have a nice weekend playing the new patches with this fantastic device!

curteye

Aloha guys,

Did the update. All went well.
Love the new patches.
To my ears they are much 'tighter'/'detailed' sounding and are great new starting points from which to tweak.
Drums seem a bit more responsive (but I may be wrong on this. I'll keep trying).

With new patches added it looks like there might be 'room-to-grow' inside the GR-55 so
I am really looking forward to v2.0.    A colour sceen maybe? Ha!

{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin' down, you ain't workin' much.

Elantric

Anyone updated from version 1.0 to 1.5 yet? i was going to go 1.2 to !.5 but they seem to have removed 1.2 from the site.

Yes - you are able to jump from 1.00 to 1.50

But Im surprised to read all the folks who were  / are still running the buggy 1.00 firmware, despite the "GR-55 FAQ Top Things to Know" thread advising to update to 1.20 over a year ago.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4006.0

kenact

As expected, unfortunately, no new functions like harmonizer or arpeggiator.  :(

I guess I'll just have to keep on using my GR-33 right next to my GR-55.
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

Elantric

QuoteWe have to wait 2.0 for real improvements.

Sadly with Roland - I doubt that will ever happen - with 1.50 firmware i think we are now at the final firmware and feature set for GR-55.

But the good news is the GR-55 has been a hot seller for Roland , and this will allow their bean counters to approve new R&D for a new upgraded version, but I do not expect to see that until 2015

Galvonot

Just wondering if anyone is using the LR Baggs piezo, like on my old Godin. According to the description, the Piezo L was not affected by the 1.5 update. So it would seem that it would not improve this rig. Although there's nothing to stop me from using one of the improved Piezo settings, as experimentation is the mother of invention.