TB MIDi Stuff - Control for GR-55 with (iPhone / iPad)

Started by wmzaphod, January 17, 2012, 05:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wmzaphod

TB MIDI Stuff update today gives Sysex  8)

Peter
a gear-a-holic

See some guitars at JediStar.com

mbenigni

Quote from:  wmzaphod on January 17, 2012, 05:59:38 PM
TB MIDI Stuff update today gives Sysex  8)

Oh man, I'm probably going to have to try this now.  I hope you haven't just erased another month of my life.  ;)

wmzaphod

Quote from:  mbenigni on January 18, 2012, 11:00:40 AM
Oh man, I'm probably going to have to try this now.  I hope you haven't just erased another month of my life.  ;)
Oops, sorry......

BTW, I use TB Midi for changing patches on multiple devices at the same time. I think it can send unlimited number of program and CCs from a single button.......
Peter
a gear-a-holic

TBStuff

Hi All,

I am Fabien from TBStuff. As we are not guitarists at TBStuff, we are very interested to know TB MIDI Stuff usages for guitarists. So you can contact us to see what we can do for you (pages, new adapted controls and so).

Best regards,

Fabien MANCHEC
TBStuff

MCK

Quote from:  TBStuff on January 20, 2012, 02:01:43 AM
Hi All,

I am Fabien from TBStuff. As we are not guitarists at TBStuff, we are very interested to know TB MIDI Stuff usages for guitarists. So you can contact us to see what we can do for you (pages, new adapted controls and so).

Best regards,

Fabien MANCHEC
TBStuff

Fabien,

Thank you very much for registering here and posting. It speaks volumes to me. Will certainly be checking out your software asap.

Thanks

wmzaphod

Quote from:  TBStuff on January 20, 2012, 02:01:43 AM
Hi All,

Best regards,

Fabien MANCHEC
TBStuff

Happy to pass on experiences...... I use it to control the patches of several devices simultaneously - nothing fancy from me  ::)
Peter
a gear-a-holic

mbenigni

Quote from:  MCK on January 20, 2012, 02:05:36 AM
Fabien,

Thank you very much for registering here and posting. It speaks volumes to me. Will certainly be checking out your software asap.

Thanks

I'll second that.  Makes me much more likely to give your application a shot (though it's difficult to say when I will find the time...)  Having Hans from Jarbrudian (Missing Link) here with us during this development was really fantastic.  I wish we could get some attention from a contact at Hexler (TouchOSC) but I think they are too small for the number of inquiries they get already.  That's another great application at a great price point, but it could do with a couple of simple changes to bring it to its full potential.  Unfortunately comments on their forums seem to go unnoticed.

So... welcome, and we hope you'll stick around, or at least check in on us from time to time!  :)

TBStuff

Quote from:  mbenigni on January 20, 2012, 06:45:47 AM
I'll second that.  Makes me much more likely to give your application a shot (though it's difficult to say when I will find the time...)  Having Hans from Jarbrudian (Missing Link) here with us during this development was really fantastic.  I wish we could get some attention from a contact at Hexler (TouchOSC) but I think they are too small for the number of inquiries they get already.  That's another great application at a great price point, but it could do with a couple of simple changes to bring it to its full potential.  Unfortunately comments on their forums seem to go unnoticed.

So... welcome, and we hope you'll stick around, or at least check in on us from time to time!  :)

I discover reccently the great GR-55 here and I would like to see what TBStuff can do for this gear. I will survey this topic, be sure !

Elantric

Fabien,

Welcome to our community here - we really appreciate you taking the time to look around and participate in the discussions.

Wishing best success for TB MIDI Stuff!

TBStuff

Quote from:  Elantric on January 20, 2012, 09:25:44 AM
Fabien,

Welcome you our community here - we really appreciate you taking the time to look around and participate in the discussions.

Wishing best success for TB MIDI Stuff!

Thank you very much

mbenigni

To those of you who've recently sent private messages regarding the TouchOSC editor - I hope you've gotten my replies?  I find the whole PM thing a little confusing, so in future it's probably easier to just post in this thread (I check the forum pretty frequently) or email me directly (my gmail address is visible if you click on my name).  That way I'll be sure to get back to you.

I'll be posting the most recent version of the template in a few hours.  Apologies for not having had a chance to test the Camera Connection Kit yet...

mbenigni

OK, as promised, here it is. 

This version has patch navigation by patch number on the first page - you'll want to modify the template, replacing patch numbers with patch names, to suit the band/project you're working with to make the most of this.   This page also includes a few multi-function buttons that I find personally useful in a live/improv context, for instance, one button to switch to acoustic guitar and full range amp simultaneously, another to p-bass and a suitable bass amp, and so on...

There's now a "Name" page that allows for limited renaming and saving of patches.  (Careful with this - no prompting means it is quite easy to overwrite your own patches.)  And there have been some more improvements in the alt. tuning UI.

TBStuff

Since few days, I start to convert the Marc's TouchOSC pages to TB MIDI Stuff. Actually, I just done the amplifier page. As I use a development version, this page can't be used at this time by other users, but I post a screenshot of it.

I think the next version (v1.3.0) will be available mid february. Keep you in touch.

Fabien
TBStuff

P.S.: Thank you very much Marc for your wonderful work !

mbenigni

Thank you, Fabien!  I'll let you know how the testing goes with your template later this week.

For those who've been asking:  I tested the Camera Connection Kit with Touch OSC and my own template last night, and could not get it to work.  I don't think OSC is supported via this interface.  TouchOSC does have support for the MIDIMobilizer, but probably for MIDI only; not OSC, and therefore not SysEx.

So... Fabien's template on TB MIDI Stuff may be a good alternative for some of you.  TB MIDI Stuff seems like a really nice app based on the short time I spent testing it.  The controls are more varied (and IMO attractive) in appearance, and the app seems a bit more responsive.  (Although TouchOSC may just be a bit slower because I have so many controls on screen.)

Anyway, stay tuned...

bbob

mbenigni,

Can I ask what interface between the iPad and GR-55 you are using?

Thanks.

Bob

Elantric

He is using the Jabrudian Missing Link wireless interface, hardwired inside his GR-55

http://wifimidi.com/

TouchOSC app running on his Ipad connects to the Missing Link wirelessly using Wi-Fi.

The Missing Links's MIDI Out connects to the GR-55's MIDi IN, and he uses a simple  USB  cable adapter to grab +5VDC power for the Missing Link from the GR-55's internal Thumb drive USB Host port.

Its all detailed in prior posts on this very thread.     

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3205.msg30038#msg30038

bbob

Thanks Elantric.

I've been reading thru this very long thread off and on for awhile now trying to get up to speed on the whole concept.  I saw the Missing Link but missed the part about it going in the GR-55.  8)

Bob

mbenigni

Hi Bob.  Putting the Missing Link inside the GR55 is strictly optional, of course, and "hardwired" is even a little bit of stretch.  There's no soldering or any other permanent mods involved.  Basically I just took the ML out of its case to make it small enough to mount inside the GR55 (padded double-sided tape) and then ran the MIDI out cable around the back to plug it back in.  Not rocket science at all, but I'm still pretty pumped about having a WiFi GR55.   :)

bbob

Thanks for the clarification mbenigni.

Looking forward to your future posts on this thread.

Bob

wmzaphod

Quote from:  bbob on January 31, 2012, 12:08:38 PM
mbenigni,

Can I ask what interface between the iPad and GR-55 you are using?

Thanks.

Bob

Hi Bob, I use the IK Multimedia iRig Midi - works with all the iPad soft synths and controllers I have......
Peter
a gear-a-holic

mbenigni

Quote from:  wmzaphod on January 31, 2012, 11:55:10 PM
Hi Bob, I use the IK Multimedia iRig Midi - works with all the iPad soft synths and controllers I have......
But just to be clear, I don't think this will work with TouchOSC and the GR55 template.  wmzaphod, have you tested, or would be interested in testing this?

wmzaphod

Quote from:  mbenigni on February 01, 2012, 06:01:20 AM
But just to be clear, I don't think this will work with TouchOSC and the GR55 template.  wmzaphod, have you tested, or would be interested in testing this?
I'll see if I can test it tonight.

Peter
a gear-a-holic

mbenigni

BasV

Hi,
I've been skimming through this thread but didn't see if or where I can get it for the iphone (most likely i missed it)
Is there an iphone version and where can I get it ?
It's gonna be handy for me, since kneeling to the gr55 with my chapmanstick strapped on is not so handy to tweak :-)

Cheers,
Bas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mbenigni

Quote from:  BasV on February 05, 2012, 03:30:30 AM
I've been skimming through this thread but didn't see if or where I can get it for the iphone (most likely i missed it)
Is there an iphone version and where can I get it ?
It's gonna be handy for me, since kneeling to the gr55 with my chapmanstick strapped on is not so handy to tweak :-)

Hi, Bas.  The first thing to understand is that there is an app (TouchOSC), and then there is the GR55-specific template.  TouchOSC is available for both iPhone and iPad, and if I recall correctly you get both for one price.  So in that sense, yes.

As for the template, however, there is the matter of screen size.  The template as it stands has hundreds of controls spread across multiple screens, so it wouldn't be practical on an iPhone.  (Some parts of it are a bit challenging on an iPad for that matter.)  But the good news is that you can create your own iPhone template, and copy and paste the parts that are most important for you onto a smaller iPhone template of your own.  It's pretty easy and I'd be happy to answer questions as you go.

The real question is, how do you intend to connect your iPhone to your GR55.  I'm using the Missing Link, and no one has been able to confirm that anything else works in getting TouchOSC to send MIDI SysEx via OSC (man, that is a mouthful) to the GR55.