GP-10 - How I'm using the GP-10

Started by MusicOverGear, August 27, 2014, 04:54:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MusicOverGear

This vid shows how I set up my interface for the GP-10, from the guitar to foot controls.

sixeight

Some great ideas in that vid. Thanks for sharing.

gumbo

Well done!  ...so great to see it all come together for you!

...and thanks for the compliments..  ;)

Cheers from (finally!) Springtime Oz
Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

cplm

Very useful video, thanks MusicOverGear

[OT]
PS: I feel the sweet crunch of your normal pickups is absolutely fantastic, here and even more on your cover of the Bag Lady.
Are they the '57 Classic Plus nickel from nowadays Gibson, or perhaps some more vintage, or ... what else?
Thank you in advance for giving me an answer-hint. I need to change my pickups :-)
[/OT]

MusicOverGear

Whoa very good ear! Yes bridge is a normal (not PLUS) 57 classic with a 33nF PIO cap. I technically don't believe cap dielectric makes a difference, but I can't get my sound without PIO LOL! They are the K40y-9 caps that everyone on eBay has. Also the tone pot is A250k for better resolution where I use it.

The neck is a stock Duncan Seth Lover (I think SH-55n?) with a 15nF orange drop (715p). It's usually wide open, but with a regular pot (the tone pot stays in the circuit, so it's loading the pickup but not doing much filtering with the cap). 

I make my own pickups, and some are really nice, but I literally can't beat those two pickups for a great all-around guitar. I make better rock PAFs and better low-wind PAFs for arch tops - and I make a Mule type pickup that I like better than the Mule - but I can't top the 57 and Seth Lover combo for middle-of-the-road, generic guitar. No need to, I guess. To me those pickups are the ultimate.

That's about it. Oh yeah the guitar is a little unusual. The neck is more like arch top construction - one piece no scarf joint, african mahogany (the cheap stuff you get at cabinet suppliers), 1 7/8" wide at the nut and 1" thick all the way down. Point being the acoustic resonance of the instrument is a little lower than a "nice" guitar.

I like to have lots of detail in the highs but at a very mellow balance compared to mids. That's why all those factors.

cplm

Thank you so much for your kindness, MusicOverGear.
You gave me useful tips and suggestions for future purchases.
After a bit of research, I think the SD Seth Lover SH55-Neck were exactly what I'm looking for.
The bridge's one can wait.

Thank you again.

FrugalGuitarist

Great vid. Some fantastic ideas...