Why hasn't anybody made a true arpeggiator for guitar yet?

Started by Rhcole, January 14, 2016, 10:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhcole

Maybe EHX has it in the works.
The SY-300 shows that a pitch-shifting sequence can work, especially monophonically. I wonder why nobody has made a classic arpeggiator for guitars yet where your pitch shifts according to a preselected pattern? As you play the pattern shifts, just like on a keyboard. I could envision a dial that selects from 10 patterns or some such thing. Rate control or tap, maybe even attack and sustain knobs. A Hold footswitch to repeat a pattern. You could even design your own intervals as a preset.

Not too tough. Technology has been around now for a few years.

Have they all been too busy designing more overdrives or distortion circuits? We need more of those, there are only 10,000 of them on the market...

gumtown

The Boss GT range has had that since 1995 (called auto-riff), until it was removed from after the GT-10.
Only does fixed intervals though (programmable steps but not intelligent).
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

imerkat

The Adrenalinn has a arpeggiator but it works through filters. Eventide PitchFactor has an Harpeggiator which has fixed patterns but also has Quadrovox where it plays 4 intervals of your choosing.

I'm personal opinion is it doesn't sound as good or feel as good as old fashion tapping arpeggio technics;

stratrat

I'd also like a good arp. You could do interesting things with a hex circuit and six linked tremolo circuits and/or pattern sequencers. Throw in pitch shifting capabilities and the world is your oyster.

Redvers

The hex format is perfect for this but the fx don't exist. If you routed the six strings into a laptop separately, you could sequence them so only one string was on at a time etc. And add delayed harmonizers to seperate strings. The possibilities are endless. The auto riff feature was cool. They pitched it like a way to sound like van Halen on the cheap but it was actually great for being creative with arp style melodies and beat syncing them to delays etc.

stratrat

I never took to the auto riff effect, but the slicer is a handy beat-synched tool. Still not a shade on a good arpeggiator though.

Elantric

! No longer available

This video presents a guitar effect designed with the line6 technology.
The RollerShifter is a guitar arpegiator! You play something on your guitar and the effect converts it into an arpeggio! More info: www.pkeffects.com

--
! No longer available
$225.00 http://www.prymaxevintage.com/arpanoid-polyphonic-pitch-arpeggiator/

The Arpanoid Polyphonic Pitch Arpegiator.
The first dedicated compact polyphonic pitch arpeggiator effect pedal for electrical guitar! With 8 intuitive and expandable modes, the Arpanoid will work on complex chords as well as single notes in any key. The modes range from one octave down through the root, root through one octave up, one octave down through one octave up and random mode in both major and minor keys. The Step control selects how many notes there are in the sequence, which determines the overall feel and timing of the cycle. The Rate adjusts the speed of the cycle from a slow climb through a fast glide, the center toggle switch changes the direction of the cycle from up, down or up/down and the Wet and Dry controls adjust the levels and the mix. All analog dry signal, true bypass and handmade one at a time in Akron Ohio.

The first dedicated compact polyphonic pitch arpeggiator effect pedal for electrical guitar! What does the Arpanoid do? The Arpanoid takes whatever you play and transforms it into an adjustable ascending or descending scale. It features 8 intuitive and expandable modes and will work on complex chords as well as single notes in any key. The Arpanoid has an all analog dry signal, all digital wet signal and true bypass switching.

Controls

Wet- Level control for the effect signal. Unity is around noon.

Dry- Level control for the dry signal. Unity is around noon.

Rate- Adjusts the speed of the sequence.

Step- Selects how many notes there are in the sequence which determines the overall feel and timing.

Toggle Switch - Controls the direction of the sequence. All the way left is up, the sequence will continually repeat going up. In the middle is up/down, the sequence will continually repeat going up then back down. All the way right is down, the signal will continually repeat going down.

Mode - 8 position selector switch to choose the octave and key:

1: Major: -1 octave to root.
2: Major: root to +1 octave.
3: Major: -1 octave through +1
4: Major: Random pattern
5: Minor: -1 octave to root.
6: Minor: root to +1 octave.
7: Minor: -1 octave through +1
8: Minor: Random pattern

Measures

4 5/8″ x 2 1/2″ x 2.25″ with knobs

Power

Our pedals take a standard 9 volt DC power supply with a 2.1mm negative center barrel. We always recommend pedal-specific, transformer-isolated wall-wart power supplies or multiple isolated-output supplies. Pedals will make extra noise if there is ripple or unclean power. Switching-type power supplies, daisy chains and non-pedal specific power supplies do not filter dirty power as well and let through unwanted noise. Do not run at higher voltages!
Current draw is 52 mA.

Helpful Hint

We suggest you treat your Arpanoid like a new instrument and take the time to learn how it works. Once you understand how the Arpanoid will work for you, you'll receive a lifetime of enjoyment from your new device.

PDF Instruction Manual
https://secure.icglink.com/icglink/cms/files/2653/File/Arpanoid_1up[1].pdf

vanceg

I did a patch for the VG-99 called "Fake and Arp" which turns each string on and off in a pattern... so if you hold a chord, each of the strings turns on and off creating a complex, semi-arp effect.  NOT the same thing that you are talking about...but it's an interesting effect.  Especially when used with the Freeze function.

It's available in this collection
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2052.0

What I'm doing there is just using the Wave Pedal as an "on/off" switch to control each string.  But I could imagine doing that same thing on the VG-99 and controlling a pitch shifter.  UNfortunately, we can't control each string's tuning by setting it as a destination for the Assign controls in the VG-99...

If there is interest, I could make a patch that controls a pitch shifter with the Wave Pedal.  Some pretty complex patterns can be generated by using the Wave Pedal as the source for multiple Assigns in the VG-99.  We should be able to step through values of the Pitch Shifter.. .but I don't know how to make it really intuitive to set WHAT pitch it is jumping to.. .that is... I'm not sure I could control the order of the pitches very easily.

Quote from: Rhcole on January 14, 2016, 10:42:06 PM
Maybe EHX has it in the works.
The SY-300 shows that a pitch-shifting sequence can work, especially monophonically. I wonder why nobody has made a classic arpeggiator for guitars yet where your pitch shifts according to a preselected pattern? As you play the pattern shifts, just like on a keyboard. I could envision a dial that selects from 10 patterns or some such thing. Rate control or tap, maybe even attack and sustain knobs. A Hold footswitch to repeat a pattern. You could even design your own intervals as a preset.

Not too tough. Technology has been around now for a few years.

Have they all been too busy designing more overdrives or distortion circuits? We need more of those, there are only 10,000 of them on the market...

maan108

Hallo !

Maybe is not the exact solution to this question but I've used a free VST plugin to get a similar effect.
Plugin is ARGOTLUNAR -http://mourednik.github.io/argotlunar/.

https://github.com/mourednik/argotlunar

ARGOTLUNAR can do a lot of effects but these are only a few samples that I've done searching an arpeggio like :

Maan108

Elantric

http://www.moltenvoltage.com/products/G-Quencer_-_Revolutionary_DigiTech_Whammy_Controller_-_by_Molten_Voltage.html

G-Quencer .:. the Riff Dispenser
by Molten Voltage
G-Quencer™ takes the DigiTech Whammy, the most popular pitch-shifting pedal of all time, and multiplies its sonic potential. G-Quencer lets you hear notes that aren't normally available on the Whammy, then sequence those notes into elegant harmonies and improbable riffs.

With this powerful new controller and patent-pending technology, you can do anything from ripping Van Halen licks while playing a single note, to creating embryonic mindholes. But don't mistake GQ for a noise machine, it's a serious compositional tool, providing complementary counterpoint to melodic lines.

G-Quencer™ transforms the DigiTech Whammy pedal into a Pitch-Shifting Sequencer.

Elantric

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=1495.msg8942#msg8942

FuzzFactory wrote>
ok with ableton i set up a dummy clip to control string on / off messages as well as messages to control the pitch of the gr300.....
let me say WOW.....works like a charm!
i got some sick 303 acid type of lines going......
THANKS FOR THE INSPIRATION AND IDEA

audio example attached
all sounds besides drums are the vg-99
forrest

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1495.0;attach=1802