FC300 - How to program a proper MIDI Note Number message in Patch Mode

Started by NMFH, May 03, 2010, 08:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NMFH

My mind is blown with the vg-99, that being said, as a member of a drum/guitar two member band this crap has changed my life when it comes to playing guitar and bass at the same time (vs. octave pedals).  Now, I want to take it to the next level and I pray someone here can help me, forgive me if this forum already contains the answer that I am asking, I searched...
To keep it basic, I need someone to break the midi science to me about how I can use the fc-300 like a simplified roland pk5 midi bass pedal controller to play the vg-99 bass tones while i play guitar with my hands.  Five notes is plenty for what I'm trying to do, I just want to tap into the dual midi functionality and have no idea where to start.  If anyone can explain to me how to program the five main fc-300 footswithches to trigger a (bass)note on the vg-99, I will send you a fried chicken and a nice hat via western union, I also run a sweet night club called The World Famous Milestone Club in CLT and may be able to score you a disease if you're interested.  Fried chicken and hat are complimentary items, of course.  Thank you kind interweb geniuses, I am eternally en-debt to your wizard like brains.
NMFH

Brent Flash

Welcome to the group NMFH!  :)

As much as I would like a fried chicken and a hat I have some bad news for you. The VG-99 and the FC-300 are not capable of doing what you want. Sorry!  :(

One misconception about the VG is that it is a tone module. It is not. It will not make a sound unless you play a guitar into it. That simple. It can take the note you play and convert it into MIDI and play a MIDI keyboard at the same time you are playing your guitar but it can't make a sound unless you plug a guitar into it. Well maybe you could get some hiss out of it but not much else.

The FC-300 can do a lot of things but I am pretty sure it cannot do what bass pedals do. Sorry again!

fokof

In patch mode , you can program the FC300 to send two note on MIDI signals with CTL1-CTL2.
I sometimes use them to trig samples.

Like brent said , you would have to use an external sound module.

aliensporebomb

One of the things I've been testing lately is a setup where I have a guitar sound with bass simultaneously on the low E and A
and then MIDI out to an acoustic piano with some light strings and all you'd need is drums and it sounds pretty full.

Even without the acoustic piano it sounds pretty good.

But yeah, you can't turn the FC-300 into a "Mini-Taurus bass pedal clone".
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

ddlooping

Hi all :)

Is it at all possible to send "Note on" & "Note off" MIDI messages using CTR1 and/or CTR2 on the FC-300.
This would be mainly to start/stop a sample (latch mode) or play and hold a note (momentary mode) generated by an external sound module.

Thanks in advance. ;)
Diaz Guitars (work in progress)

ddlooping

Quote from: Brent Flash on August 21, 2010, 02:37:43 PM
This question has come up before and if I am remembering right the answer is no. Sorry!
Thanks, Brent, I thought it might have but a search didn't bring any relevant results. :)

ddlooping

Well, according to this forum "VG-99 & FC-300 Documentation" it looks like it can:

QuoteQ. Can the FC-300 pedal transmit MIDI note on/ off output information?

A. Patch mode allows a number of FC-300 and CTL1 pedal, pedal-2 notes any information can be stored.
Also, more than one pedal notes can be stored as a single pedal to operate only in code (chord) can be printed out.

Not a very clear answer though.  ;D

Eidt: If I understand correctly, in "Patch" mode the FC-300's CTL1 and CTL 2 pedals can send MIDI note on/off messages.
They can also both send more than 1 MIDI note on/off message at a time, meaning you can "play" chords.

Now to find out the pros & cons of using the "Patch" mode as opposed to the other ones...

Brent Flash

In this topic member fokof brought up the FC-300 PATCH MODE that does allow you to do just about anything in the MIDI world. The only thing about it is that it is very complicated to pull off. You can find out details on how to program patch mode in the FC-300 manual starting on page 32. Hope this helps and let us know how it works.

ddlooping

Thanks, Brent, that is good news. :)

I'll let you know how I get on as soon as I have my rig set up and start experimenting. ;)

fokof

How to send note on and off in patch mode;
-Switch FC300 to patch mode (doh!)
-Parameter> until you get to "CTL1:On MIDI"
-Press write.        You should see : "EDIT MIDI"
-Press write again. You should see ; 001: __________
-Press Parameter to go to the underlines ( _____ )
-Press value up until : "N.ON"     wich is Note on
-With "Parameter ><" and "Value ><"  Change MIDI channel/note On / Velocity to desired value.
-You'll have to do the same for the NOTE off if you want it to stop.
-Do the same for CTL2
-If you need to trig more notes , you'll have to program other patches. Only CTL1 and 2 can send note on/off.
You can program CC to other controllers if your synths/software allows you to convert CC to note on/off.

ddlooping

That's great, fokof, thanks for taking the time to write this "how-to". :)

May your karma rise. ;)

rcknrllmn

Last night I just programed Note On midi messages to control 1 & 2 & it worked successfully. 
The navigation through the FC-300 programing pages is a little tricky to get used to, but once you
get used to it, it's not that bad. 

ddlooping

loopman

Hi guys, I have an important question about the capability of my FC-300  to send out midi notes,
I've read the previous topic about this matter and what I understood is that the FC-300 sends midi note on/off message by using the CTL 1 & 2 in Patch Mode,right?
But, my purpose (and question) here is another: I want to send more than 2 midi notes,to have my FC-300 behaves like a short midi keyboard,
how can I do it?

Let me know,

thanks

szilard

In patch mode the numbered pedals can send note on / note off messages. I have a pedal attached to the mode input that allows me to switch modes between sys ex & patch modes. Program note on, note off, & timing. It's in the manual.

http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=manuals&p=FC-300&id=1810998

Robert

Brent Flash

OK, now I remember, PATCH MODE lets you do practically anything with MIDI but being practical to use is another thing.

I guess you could set it up to send a note per patch and you could also set it to stop the note from playing when you let the patch pedal up. That would give you five notes per bank.

I do not see a way to send multiple notes per patch but you may be able to within a MIDI STREAM but I don't think so. If you figure out a way let us know.

fokof

Quote from:  szilard on November 26, 2012, 11:22:31 AM
In patch mode the numbered pedals can send note on / note off messages.

I haven't came across that.

On mine , I can only send note ON/OFF message on the CTL 1-2 pedals ..... :-[

szilard

Quote from: Brent Flash on November 26, 2012, 12:55:41 PM
I do not see a way to send multiple notes per patch but you may be able to within a MIDI STREAM but I don't think so. If you figure out a way let us know.

I haven't tried it, but each stream allows multiple messages so I think you could do intervals or chords if you wanted.

szilard

Quote from: Brent Flash on November 26, 2012, 12:55:41 PM
OK, now I remember, PATCH MODE lets you do practically anything with MIDI but being practical to use is another thing.

I guess you could set it up to send a note per patch and you could also set it to stop the note from playing when you let the patch pedal up. That would give you five notes per bank.

Yeah, I have it programmed to send note on when a pedal is pressed & note off when released. I use it to control mobius 2 (software looper) or sonar's matrix. IIRC I map the expression pedals to the same CC's as they are in sys ex mode so even when I switch modes I still have the expression pedals setup for the VG-99.

GovernorSilver

Last night, I spent several hours trying to program Pedals 1-5 to send MIDI Note Number messages 60, 64, and 3 others that I forget right now, respectively (Pedal 1 sends 60, Pedal 2 sends 64, etc.).  I eventually gave up and used CC Mode instead.

Anyway, is there a tutorial somewhere on how to program a proper MIDI Note Number message for a numbered pedal in Patch Mode?  I tried programming Pedal 1 to send a MIDI Note On followed by a MIDI Note Off - this is all in the Patch On MIDI Stream, with the Patch Off Timing set to PEDAL RELEASE.  That failed.  I also tried programming a MIDI Note Off into the MIDI stream for Patch Off, which did nothing.  I also tried an empty MIDI stream.  That also did nothing.

Like I said, I've given up for the moment, but I think it would be eventually useful to send a "script" of MIDI commands with one pedal press.

Elantric

Quoteis there a tutorial somewhere on how to program the FC-300

If you find one let us know.
The FC-300 remains a deep hard to program unit.

as always use a separate "MIDI Monitor" system to test your work in progress. I like my old Terrasonde AudioToolbox, or iPad running MIDI Monitor and my $11 MIDI Cable

This thread explains the tools to debug MIDI Control systems
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2975.0

and these threads have more info on programing the FC-300
http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/index.php?title=Template:FC-300_MIDI_Programming

http://www.ehow.com/how_8429634_program-roland-fc300.html

http://97.74.184.183/support/pedalboards.shtml

http://www.bossgtcentral.com/showthread.php?26798-TIPS-Part-1-Setting-up-and-Using-the-GT-Pro-with-an-FC300-foot-controller

GovernorSilver

I guess my main problem is I just can't understand the FC-300 manual's explanations of the relationships between Patch On, Patch Off, and Patch Timing.

From what I understand, a MIDI Note Number message should simply be a MIDI Note On followed by a MIDI Note Off.  So what is supposed to send the Note Off from the FC-300?  Is it the Patch Off MIDI stream or the last entry in the Patch On MIDI stream?  How does Patch Timing=Patch Change vs. Patch Timing=Pedal Release affect the sending of the Note Off?

I will definitely get MIDI Monitor for my iPad, now that I have a MIDI interface box for it (Roland Duo Capture EX)

Elantric

QuoteFrom what I understand, a MIDI Note Number message should simply be a MIDI Note On followed by a MIDI Note Off.

What piece of gear requires "MIDI Note On/Off messages" for control?

About the only thing i can think of is emulating a Moog Taurus Floor pedal synth or controlling Ableton Live.

90% of everything else will use MIDI CC# messages for effects control.

Maybe its best to start by explaining precisely what piece of gear you want your FC-300 to control?
QuoteI guess my main problem is I just can't understand the FC-300 manual's explanations of the relationships between Patch On, Patch Off, and Patch Timing.
And review the MIDI Tutorials here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2977.0

GovernorSilver

Quote from:  Elantric on June 20, 2013, 12:13:37 PM
What piece of gear requires "MIDI Note On/Off messages" for control?

Elektron Octatrack.  But it can also receive MIDI CC #59 with value = MIDI Note Number as an alternative, and this works well with the FC-300's CC Mode.

At this point, my inquiries about how to program a MIDI Note Number are almost purely academic.  I have always had bad luck attempting to program MIDI Note Numbers, dating back to when I used Opcode Max 3 (attempting to send via the MIDI Out object, before I gave up and used the Note Out object). Thanks to all the pointers for info as always, Elantric.

viscous99

I've noticed a few people having trouble using the FC300's five number switches to trigger notes on an external synth. After a bit of mucking around I succeeded.
In Utility, Bank Step must be 5STEP otherwise the trigger switch has to be pressed twice to sound the note.

In Patch Mode press Parameter > and select PATCH:Off Timing then select PEDAL RELEASE. Exit to top screen

1.Select the switch you want to send the note.
2.Press Parameter >
3.Select PATCH:On Midi
4.Press Write twice
5.Select N.On and the appropriate Midi Ch, Midi note and Velocity
6.Press Exit twice
7.Press Parameter > to select PATCH:Off MIDI
8.Press Write twice
9.Select N.Off and the same Midi Ch, Midi note as selected in N.On above in step 5
10. Press Exit three times
11.Press Write three times
Done! The note should sound when the switch is pressed and stop when it's released