GR-20 with Baritone guitar or other deep tunings

Started by bea, June 18, 2016, 04:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bea

Hi there,

this question may sound a bit silly, but i am completely new in guitar synthesizers.

Ideally i would like to put thick strings on my standard scale guitar and use that as a baritone guitar. Will the GR-20 handle this and if yes , how? I would like to know before i order a set of custom strings.

gumtown

Which tuning will you use ?
B~B
A~A
-1E~E

If the GR-20 can't reach the required range, it does have a bass mode which can be enabled, which lowers the tuning range.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

bea

E-E will be impossible - the guitar has a scale of 24.75". And not necessary because i own a Bass VI (also DIY).

I'm a bit undecided between B-B or A-A, but would prefer A-A since that is harmonically closer to the standard guitar. To some degree it'll depend on the availability of strings and on the limitations on thickness imposed by the tuners. BTW, a "heavy" set for B-B should be usable as a "light" set for A-A.

gumbo

Hi Bea,
BTW, thanks for the great page you referred us to in the other thread..love the stuff that you're doing !!   ;D

I don't know if it's any help to your situation, but when I was building a much-modified (slide) Telecaster with a 6-lever Bigsby Palm Pedal a few years back (!!) I got into the Steel Guitar Forum...they have a page which details many strings that they have available as singles for building custom sets, and I found this was very helpful to me at the time of experimenting...

Have a look at   http://www.steelguitarshopper.com/categories/Strings/single-strings/?sort=featured&page=1

Somewhere (??) in all my bits of paper that I collected way back then, I have a chart of Pitch / Scale Length / String Gauge...I assume you have that info..  let me know if you need me to look for it.. ???

HTH

Kind regards
Peter in Australia

Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

bea

Well, at present i am pretty happy with a set of (used) flatwounds 053-015 tuned C-C. As mentioned elsewhere tracking seems to be fine, occasional glitches are usually due to my playing.

There is still a remaining problem: the GK volume is set up according to the instructions of the GR-3 mounting informations, and i used the pot shipped with the set.
The volume in only partially functional - there is only one certain position near the upper end of the range where there is an audible signal. If i adjust the pot differently there is just silence.

Does this indicate an error setting up the pot or is it just a feature of the GR-20?

admin

The "GK Vol" function is a 0-5VDC Control Voltage sent from your guitar controller over pin #8 ( Roland,Graphtech ,RMC - all comply with this GK Vol Spec )

Verify you see that DC voltage sweep range on pin#8 with your GK Synth Pot's complete 270 degrees rotation when Guitar/Mix/GK ( Synth) switch is in the GK(Synth) position.

* Pin #8  = 0VDC when GK Vol pot is fully counter-clockwise

* Pin #8  = +5VDC when GK Vol pot is fully clockwise

and check for smooth voltage transition as you move the GK Vol Pot.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73.0

bea