BOSS GP-10 Questions

Started by Celticsaint, October 10, 2014, 06:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celticsaint

I'm new here and have a couple questions.  I'm thinking of getting the Boss GP-10.  How good are the modeled guitars and amps?  I've watched a bunch of youtube videos on the unit and it seems almost too good to be true.  How realistic are the Les Paul models?  The Rickenbacker 12 string models?  Telecaster models?  Are there any Gretsch hollowbody models?  Gibson semi hollow body models? 

Are they realistic enough to give professional sounding guitar tracks as far as the quality of the sounds are concerned?  I will use it primarily in the studio. 

DeRigueur

The GP-10 has been very well received on this board for its sound quality so, yes, you'll probably be satisfied in that department.
There are no Gretsch models, but there is a 335.  The Rick model is one of my favorites.  I've always been a fan of the Byrds so I can't resist the 12-string tone.
Fender GC-1 -- Boss SY-1000 -- Alto TS112A

Rhcole

Be sure to check out the extensive GP-10 section on this board.

I think the GP-10 is GREAT. I love the modeled guitars.
No good Gretsch sound, but I have two of 'em anyway so I'm covered.

The Ricky is as close to the real thing as you'll get with any current modeled product. I had a '66 Rick 12, nothing can touch it but this fills in nicely.

Celticsaint

Does it sound like a real 12 string electric guitar though?

I have a nice Agile 12 string semi hollow body but I'm wondering if the GP-10 sounds like a real 12 string.  I know I can make a 12 string out of any guitar modeled in the unit but will it sound like a real 12 string?  The youtube videos I've seen are impressive.  The one video they do the 12 string Ricky patch and it sounds just like an old beatles song. 

Are the Les Pauls and 335 models believable?  I'm going to get the unit and install the pickup on a Composite Acoustic BLADE Electric guitar.  it is all carbon fiber and I'm thinking the GK3 and GP-10 will be a perfect combination with this guitar.

Jim Williams

For the most part in a mix most will not know the difference. If you have the money to buy all the expensive vintage guitars for your home studio you will be happier. If you compare the price of the GP-10 to all that you may want to compromise a little bit of that guitar tone that you will be the only one who will hear the difference. Now lets look at all the USB routing features and the guitar to midi for controlling VST instruments and the price tag gets even better. It also has bass guitar models and you could get a 1/4" to XLR adapter and process Vocals with it as well. It is small enough to set on your desk and be the interface for all your tracks. This could be the all in one tool you are looking for but you have to try it out for yourself and see if it meets your needs.

Jimmy.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

Celticsaint

Thanks for the replies.  If only I'd know the difference, that is good enough for me.  I just want professional sounding results.  I don't want anything to sound like a toy, if you know what I mean.  I will use real acoustic guitars for my acoustic tracks and the GP-10 just for electric guitars and probably mix it with some real electric guitar too. 

Celticsaint

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask, is there any latency whatsoever with the GP-10?  I've heard there isn't but I thought I should ask people who definitely used it.  And I've heard the modeling is even better than in the VG-99 or GR55.  Is that true? THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP!!

Elantric

QuoteOh yeah, I forgot to ask, is there any latency whatsoever with the GP-10?  I've heard there isn't but I thought I should ask people who definitely used it

I own VG-8, VG-88, VG-99, Line-6 Variax 500, Line-6 Tyler Variax JTV-59, Roland GR-55 - and in my opinion the DSP Guitar Modeling, DSP Alt Tunings and DSP 12 Strings on the Boss GP-10 have the best sounds with lowest latency compared to all other DSP Guitar modelling systems you can buy new in 2014.

QuoteI don't want anything to sound like a toy, if you know what I mean.

Despite all I have written above about DSP Guitar modeling product comparison for 2014, I remain steady in my beliefs as I have written in the thread linked below:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9291.msg62105#msg62105
QuoteMight ask why add all these magnetic coil select solutions to a JTV-59 Variax? I'm rather picky about my tone, and clean Palm Muting tone is essential for my Surf Band, and despite the progress, none of these Guitar Modelling solutions  we discuss today can duplicate the exact tone I need to achieve clean Palm Muting tone   - (think Astronauts "Baja) for the sound I use regularly 

While I have over 7800 posts on this forum about Guitar Modeling, In 2013 despite all the breakthroughs I remain in the camp that still considers playing through a DSP guitar pickup modeller remains in the same realm as thinking an iPad pinball game can duplicate the real deal 1959 mechanical arcade Bally PinBall Game  -  If you close your eyes and imagine really hard, you "almost" get in the same ballpark as the sound of playing the real guitar, but there always remains a 2 dimensional quality on these systems we discuss, that a player with good ears will be able to pick out in seconds.     

Celticsaint

I think I will be getting the GP-10 SOON!!

I appreciate all the input!

ReBart

Hi, I just bought a used Boss GP-10. I have a 1997 Roland Ready Stratocaster Standard. What happens to me is that when I connect the Roland 13 pin cable, randomly, the presets start spinning and stop when they decide !! I don't have an original Roland 13 pin cable, but I have tried with an original cable and the problem is the same. Has anyone ever encountered such a problem or the Boss GP-10 doesn't work? Thanks for your help

gumbo

Quote from: ReBart on July 13, 2022, 12:32:06 AMHi, I just bought a used Boss GP-10. I have a 1997 Roland Ready Stratocaster Standard. What happens to me is that when I connect the Roland 13 pin cable, randomly, the presets start spinning and stop when they decide !! I don't have an original Roland 13 pin cable, but I have tried with an original cable and the problem is the same. Has anyone ever encountered such a problem or the Boss GP-10 doesn't work? Thanks for your help

AS you have tried a different cable, you likely have a problem in one of the Jacks themselves...either the one in the Roland-Ready Strat (25 years old) and/or the GP-10 (probably at least 6 years old).

If there is wear or oxidation in the jacks so that the signal gets interrupted on pins 10 or 11, that is EXACTLY what happens, because the GP-10 "thinks" that you are holding the S1 and/or S2 buttons down on your guitar...

(Could) be that one of the S1 or S2 push-button switches has failed on your guitar...if its switch contacts have become dirty or oxidised through time & grime, it could send an incorrect message to the GP-10, making it think you have your finger on one of the buttons.
ALSO, sometimes the solder connections TO the switches themselves can also fail (or intermittently fail) because the relatively light gauge (thin) wiring that was used inside these guitars can move about under the pickguard through movement of the guitar...and stress the original solder joints.
....DOES this happen or stop happening while you are pressing / releasing the push-button switches?   ...the switches themselves can become fairly fragile with age, and were NOT a particularly strong design to begin with.
Only way to check all this is to remove the pickguard to gain access to the switches and probe them with a multimeter to determine what is going on.

Clean and/or replace the Jacks....first try your guitar with a different synth unit so you can isolate which end of the connection is at fault..then read this thread:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3132.msg20110#msg20110

...replacement jacks for both the Roland-Ready Strat AND the GP-10 (if required) are available here:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8888

...(unashamed advert..no-one else makes them as far as I know).. ;)

BUT!!!!  Be also aware that the SAME symptoms could be experienced through oxidation/extra resistance being present on those two S1 & S2 circuits due to problems with cable connectors onto the respective mainboards in either of the Roland-Ready Strat and/or the GP-10..
...the only way to check or repair is to dismantle, clean and re-seat the connectors onto the mainboards...1 x 7P + 1 x 8P in the Strat, 1 x 14P in the GP-10.

A progressive analysis-in-progress of the possible causes is really the only way to track the fault down...check ONE area at a time!

HTH
Cheers,
Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

philjynx

Quote from: gumbo on July 13, 2022, 01:45:41 AM....If there is wear or oxidation in the jacks so that the signal gets interrupted on pins 11 or 12, that is EXACTLY what happens, because the GP-10 "thinks" that you are holding the S1 and/or S2 buttons down on your guitar...
Pins 10 & 11.....

gumbo

Quote from: philjynx on July 13, 2022, 04:11:13 AMPins 10 & 11.....

Yep...you are correct, and I had the list stuck to the wall too!  ...damn cheap reading glasses !  :-\
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

ReBart

Thanks for your help ! Renato

billbax

Old tarnished 13-pin sockets aren't going to get much help from Deoxit. Tarnish is the hardened oxidation layer (and other bits) that sets in after a year (first cable crackles), and the only way to clear it is by using an abrasive cleaning pin. Deoxit creates a protective layer right, but it's also a dust magnet at the same time.

Break open an old tossed 13-pin connector, and roughen up a pin with medium grade emery paper. After few inserts with the abrasive cleaning pin, a 13-pin socket will work as new. Warning, don't over do it on the cleaning pin inserts. If it pin is still faulty, check the pcb 13-pin connector tracks for breaks.

More information here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=3d433a6734d127e4bf758ace657783e0&topic=26362.0

Hacked 13-pin plug

Abrasive 0.76mm cleaning pin