GR-55 vs ???

Started by swarfrat, August 19, 2014, 08:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swarfrat

I've currently got a Graphtech Ghost setup, and a Yamaha G-50. These don't work together. I'd been planning to just pick up a GK-3 at some point once it fits in the priorities. But I'm now wondering - should I consider a GR-55 instead? How are the synth sounds? I'm primarily interested in MIDI, and especially interested in some GOOD horns. Like mapping out horn parts on the guitar.  The video I heard, the GR-55 didn't really enthuse me a lot in the horn department, but I realized with the G-50 I'd still need sounds, and I'm reluctant to lug a PC for soft synths.  There is some merit in staying with the Graphtec, at least emotionally, as I've already carved up a guitar for the 13 pin jack some time ago, and I have them already.

What's the best route forward from here?
Ghost->GR-55?
GK-3->G-50->sound module?
GK-3->GR-55?

clearlight

Hi,
I'm no expert but i think the gr55 has a setting that would match the ghost.
I have a few guitars with piezo and they work great.

As far as GOOD horns go.....the gr55 is bread and butter , at least the presets.
I think the horns are eh.....but most smapled or modeled horns are eh in my opinion. just a complicated sound to reproduce.
That being said, the gr55 might be passable for the situation.

good luck
My Music
My Band Website
GUITARS: 2x RG1521, 3x RG321 w/gk, Rg721 Fretless Modified, AmStd FatStrat w/gk, various others....
XV5050,Triton etc..
KOMPLETE 7
VGUITAR Stuff: VG99, FC300, RC5-

Rhcole

The GR-55 will work fine with your guitar. I have a Carvin SH-575 with the GraphTech and it worked well through the GR-55 (I sold mine a few months ago). However, some piezo guitars have subsonic rumble that can affect tracking, but there are filters for that.

Regarding horns, the horns are generic but decent. The thing is, you can layer up to 3 sounds for a pretty deep horn sound. You could use two horn patches and also blend in COSM synth sounds in the background to add more body.

I think you will be happy with the setup. It's simple and straightforward.