Glowing dots on back of neck project - Elmer's glue and tape

Started by mooncaine, June 24, 2021, 11:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mooncaine

While in a kind of limbo between retired and vacation, I got a lot of guitar projects done recently. This one comes with a visual.
I punched holes in painter's tape, placed the holes on the back of the neck, closer to the top edge that I see when I look down at the guitar.
Then I slathered on little gobs of Elmer's glow-in-the-dark glue. It looks bluish to my eyes, but the photo I made with mobile phone sees them as green.
In a few days (?), when glue is dry, I'll lay down more tape, then sand those bumps down to little flat circles. Or so I hope.

In other DIY project news: I rewired the same guitar myself, because I can't spend money on a luthier's services. I *might* have fried another low-friction pot. Hum actually gets louder when I touch the metal barrel knob (but not when I touch strings or bridge--it sounds normal and hum reduces as expected when touching grounded metal parts). Maybe I messed up my connection from pot to ground. Hope so, cuz that's a 20 dollar pot.

Earlier this month, I laboriously removed two screws that were broken off in the end of the neck, where the headpiece that holds the strings is attached. NEVER USE SUPERGLUE TO PLUG STRIPPED SCREW HOLES was my lesson from that. Apparently I did it to one or both screws at some time in my life. Toothpicks and some kind of glue that apparently set to diamond-like hardness during the past 20 years. After excavating the screw holes, I had two gaping wounds in the end of my favorite guitar. I have plenty of time, a K-Bar, and sandpaper, and a few maple tree saplings in the yard that need to be taken out, so I killed one and stripped it for wooden plugs. Sanded to a tight fit, dried out for a day or two in the sun, they filled the holes (this time with Elmer's brown wood glue). A day later, I redrilled holes and remounted the headpiece. Weeks later, it's still working. Score 1 for moonie.

I had another headless in a closet, which I believed needed repair or warranty service, but I took it out, made some truss rod and action adjustments, and it seems fine! Score 2 for moonie.

Chumly

You're well on your way to succumbing to the pervasive forces of retirement in which maple saplings take on special meaning. Also, I'm pretty sure that second photo is a UFO sighting, therefore you'll need to take that into consideration when assessing your next move. I recommend reducing friction from all sources (not just pots) so as to be more efficient in your endeavors.
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman