GR-55 backs up settings but not patches to USB stick?

Started by wilkinsi, May 23, 2013, 03:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wilkinsi

I just checked the manual again. Am I missing something, or did Roland only provide a settings to USB stick backup? I know I can use Gumtown's editor (its a Godsend), but I need a USB backup of my patches when recording at a studio.

Elantric

On GR-55 Owners Manual  Page 72

"Settings" refers to All your user Patches , and Global Settings. The concept here is that if you make a "Backup" to a FAT32  USB Thumb Drive , you will have an exact image of all your GR-55 Settings and User Patches.

Sadly this process is not selective-  its all or nothing.

In this manner with only the USB Thumb Drive , if your GR-55 dies or if you need to rent/borrow a spare GR-55  for a gig anywhere,  - a simple "USB Memory Restore" procedure will get you up and running with 100% of all your GR-55 settings and User Patches and Global Control Assignments.   

gumtown

The USB backup clones the entire GR-55, guitar mode and bass mode patches and system settings.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

wilkinsi

I just connected the stick to my PC and all I see is a Roland folder with an "SVD" file.

gumtown

Quote from: wilkinsi on May 30, 2013, 02:49:22 PM
I just connected the stick to my PC and all I see is a Roland folder with an "SVD" file.
Yes and that file contains the entire GR-55 backup, system and patches all in one file.
It is not a midi/system exclusive file, but a binary one, so nothing but the GR-55 can read it via the USB memory stick.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Toby Krebs

I remember having to save my Digitech RP-1/2000 patches(which would crash and fall out often if the power wasn't right) to my drummers sequencer and put them back in between sets. Roland nailed it on this one. I carry a full usb stick of backup patches/settings and a stick of backing tracks in case no one else in the band shows up. I also was able to easily share my patches with another local GR55 user over coffee last week. So much is right about this unit!