FTP Pickup not aligned with string spacing and a couple other questions

Started by iamdave, May 08, 2014, 07:12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iamdave

So I installed the FTP. Pretty cool. Couple questions though.

#1 On a basic Eric Clapton strat the pickups don't line up with the strings. Therefore, my 3rd, 4th and 5th strings are nice and loud but the others are quiet if even heard. I'd like to use this right into a sound module (live) through a midi usb host (big thanks to ELANTRIC AND ALL HIS INFO HERE) which is all working fine. But why don't the pickups line up to the strings and how can I adjust that? (Photo attached) The spacing is just wrong. I've google'd a good bit and don't seem to find anyone else mentioning this. A start is prob the most common guitar on the planet so I'm confused. I'd assume I can adjust the volume in the software but that doesn't help me playing live and not using the software. My low E is hardly even playing. High E just a tad.

#2 My fav guitar is a hot rod tele with an ash tray bridge. I seen in the faq you should keep the pickup near the bridge. Any other ideas other than cutting/filing the bridge? 

#3 When (surely it's in the works right?) will the app be out and better setup for using an iPad and phone? Sure be nice to use the software's features and not have to drag out a computer to play live.

(Spoken from one who plays without an amp using an iPad or phone with jam-up with great results and a lot less to drag around to gigs...)

Dave

iamdave

Did some more testing and kicking of the tires.

I raised up the pickup height so the spacer guide barely makes it through and it improved most things. But the 6th string is still dead 95%. So I slid it out some so that the pickup was directly in the middle of the string to see if that changed things and to my surprise it didn't. So I'm wondering if the unit is just defective then.

Owning a Brian Moore custom shop with installed midi pickup and the last couple Roland midi guitar synths I was looking for much better tracking and I don't know that I can say that at all thus far. Have only tried it straight into a Roland jv1010 so far as that was my intentions live. Will kick the tires in the software next.

But being that I can't take the software with me live I'm not feeling all warm and fuzzy inside.

Elantric

To test your FTP PU - Use a small metal screwdriver and gently "tap" the top of each PU pole piece - then use the FTP String Sensitivity screen on Verify you see equal signal movement corresponding to each "tap" of the screwdriver on all 6 PU poles.

Review this doc - which provides mechanical detail comparisons of many divided magnetic pickups
Magnetic Hex Pickup Study
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=41

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=41

melodymann

Hey, you must be Dave.
The picture is a little dark, but the first thing that I notice is the spacing is roughly the same as your fender noiseless pick up? Anyways as far as I know once you set your strings sensitivity's using the app, the controller will remember those and carry them over when used in hardware mode. Also, have you tried adjusting the Ark of the pick up to more closely match your strings?(that's what the tiny slot screwdrivers is for). Moving the pick up closer to the bridge may also help (as long as you can use your Whammy bar without bumping the pick up your fine). Finally, you could create a shim for the bass side of the pick up if it's lower than the rest. I had to do this for one of my guitars.

Having said all that, 95% seems a bit high, I would contact Fishman support, their extremely helpful good luck.

Elantric

QuoteAlso, have you tried adjusting the Ark of the pick up to more closely match your strings?(that's what the tiny slot screwdrivers is for).

While the Roland GK-3 PU provides adjustable Radius, the FTP does Not - instead there are only two height adjust screws on the FTP PU  - no radius adjust! FTP PU Radius is fixed @ 12" radius.
Roland has a patent on that  adjustable Radius feature

iamdave

Sorry for the delay. Installed the software. At first I was getting nothing on the 6th string. After tapping them it seemed to kick on some. But even pegged at 16 (see screen shot) a heavy E chord which certainly accentuates the low E gives little strength. Playing riffs and scales I usually don't even get a blip out of the 6th string.

Sent into support. May have a bad pup.

Dave

iamdave

iamdave

Happy to report that Fishman swapped out my pickup and controller and the problem is resolved. Much better. :-) Thanks.

Dave