VG-8 - alternate tunings double pitch problem

Started by kulich, April 06, 2016, 10:33:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kulich

Quick question:

After a long while in the closet I brought the VG8 out for a test; it was the gear that was in the closet, not me :)

Patches in standard tuning are great, but when I use alternate tunings some of the strings play both the standard and the altered note. I thought it was my controller but it repeats on both a Godin (graphtechs) and a Roland hex. I double checked the scale and signal parameters and all is as it should be.

So ... Is there any simple way to check what is the problem?

Can I reset the input parameters without changing anything else? Or is there a detune setting I've enabled? What about that automatic tuning function - maybe that's the issue?

I could try a factory reset but don't want to find and re-install my A-E banks; that took me some time to assemble some years back.

Peter

Elantric

Use headphones or turn up the Amplifier used for the VG-8.
Mute the normal guitar signal path.
You are fighting the acoustic decibel level of the un-amplified vibrating strings on your guitar, which are at a different pitch / frequency compared to the VG-8's DSP generated Alt tuning   

kulich

You mean I'm hearing the unamplified string?

The amp was pretty loud - and I don't remember having this problem in the past. I'll try again.

If it makes any difference, the guitar signal is spotty; I lose it when I change patches. I just ran a cable from the gtr out to an amp and solved that one.

Thanks!

Peter

ConstruKction

I'm experiencing the same with my VG-99, but as Elantric said, our ears are tricking us.

Try to record your guitar while playing in DSP alt. tuning, and then play it back through your speakers. You shouldn't hear your original tuning at all.

dsmmrm

Quote from: kulich on April 06, 2016, 12:23:25 PM
You mean I'm hearing the unamplified string?

The amp was pretty loud - and I don't remember having this problem in the past. I'll try again.

If it makes any difference, the guitar signal is spotty; I lose it when I change patches. I just ran a cable from the gtr out to an amp and solved that one.

Thanks!

Peter

Are you saying that you are running straight out of the guitar into an amp in addition to the VG output to an amp? If so of course you will here the standard guitar tuning in addition to the atl tuning. The guitar can only output the actual string tuning. If I am missing something here I apologize in advance.

markq

I have the same problem and its not that I'm hearing the original pitch unamplified as well as the changed pitch. that only happens if you play at a low volume. The 2 different notes are there and I cant seem to fix it despite going back to factory settings and reloading the midi file with sysex which has my edited patches. Any ideas anyone? Both of my VG8's have the same problem.

Silas Lang

Using a dummy jack inserted to guitar out is necessary with VG-8. Otherwise the regular pickups sound all the time. At least that's what happens with both my VG-8 and my GR-1.