GR-55 - JLP Violin 2 - Improved 2/22/13

Started by shawnb, March 02, 2011, 09:07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnb

Feedback & suggestions welcome!
Inspired by Cosmic-Messenger-era Jean Luc Ponty - a hard, deep, spacey violin. 
Still not getting the attack I want, but it's fun nonetheless.
Shawn

Note:  Improved 6/15/11
2/22/13:  Added .mp3 and .g5l.   New version with improved attack. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

aliensporebomb

I absolutely LOVE Cosmic Messenger!  And I love all of Jean-Lucs 70s/80s Atlantic records productions.

Here's hoping Jean-Luc gets some more notoriety with his joining of the Return to Forever revamp lineup this year.

Do you have an MP3 of the sound?  Unfortunately I don't have a GR-55 yet.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

musicsingle

This is a great patch...  Thanks Shawn

shawnb

New version.   Some improvements on the attack, inching closer. 
It's almost like some of these PCM tones resist attack adjustments, like they were engineered to be slow.   This has been difficult.

(***Note see JLP Violin 2 in original post. Had accidentally updated wrong version a couple of days ago...  Big difference...)
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Brent Flash

Quote from: shawnb on June 12, 2011, 10:05:54 PM
It's almost like some of these PCM tones resist attack adjustments, like they were engineered to be slow.   This has been difficult.
The sample (digital recording) that makes the PCM tone you are working with can be a recording with a slow attack and you will not be able to make it any faster unless you can cut off the beginning of the sample or make the sample start playing back later, so it can skip the attack portion of the recording. Best thing to do in that case is pick a new tone that has a fast attack if the synth does not have the ability to adjust the samples it uses.

dnedwek

Quote from: Brent Flash on June 13, 2011, 03:38:11 AM
The sample (digital recording) that makes the PCM tone you are working with can be a recording with a slow attack and you will not be able to make it any faster unless you can cut off the beginning of the sample or make the sample start playing back later, so it can skip the attack portion of the recording. Best thing to do in that case is pick a new tone that has a fast attack if the synth does not have the ability to adjust the samples it uses.

If you set the TVA (Time Variable Amplifier) attack to a negative number (try starting with -20) you can start the sample playback farther into the sample. This can mitigate a slow attack in some cases.

shawnb

Thanks guys.   I already have TVA & TVF attack both at -50.   And I've tried all the solo violin & viola & cello voices (the viola actually sounds more like JLP's electric violin to my ear).  They all seem to be designed for slow-attack.

I've considered (& haven't yet tried extensively) something completely different - an accoustic guitar?  Or maybe something with a "chuff" sounding attack, like the bow might create - a panpipe?   Some other voice whose job it is to just give that attack...   Hmmm...

KezzTCP

Hi - I'm a newbie here but big into JLP violin!  I appreciate this thread is ancient, but is there any way you (or any other kind soul!) could upload your JLP patch(es) in .gl5 format - I'd love to have a go at playing them. 

Many thanks,  K
Godin LGXT with Roland Gr-55
Zoom G9.2tt
Fender Strat 1983
Hamer Artist Korina
Hamer SAQT GK3 loaded
Ovation Electro Acoustic
Tanglewood Earth 2000 Acoustic
G&L S-500
Antoria Memphis 74
Gibson Les Paul Special (hah!)

Life is full of surprises ........ as I don't know what I'm doing most of the time

shawnb

Uploaded!  Enjoy!

ACTUALLY... 
This is an even further improved version. 
I did attempt to use a pan flute, which has a better attack than the violin.
It sorta worked, and made the patch a lot more usable. 
I had forgotten to upload it...   
And it's up there now.

KezzTCP

Wow!  What a fantastically quick response!  Many thanks Shawnb- I can't wait to try it out tomorrow!   

:)
Zoom G9.2tt
Fender Strat 1983
Hamer Artist Korina
Hamer SAQT GK3 loaded
Ovation Electro Acoustic
G&L S-500
Antoria Memphis 74

Life is full of surprises ........ as I don't know what I'm doing most of the time

KezzTCP

Really love the sound of these patches - but agree, they suffer from lack of attack - and JLP was a master at merging slowly bowed notes with those short, dancing gems.  Roland are really missing a trick with their violin/viola tones - strong attack would really make them play.  Even their fiddle tone is slow on the uptake - and that's hardly befitting for a jig!  Come on Roland - get some muso's on board with your technogeek programmers!!!
Zoom G9.2tt
Fender Strat 1983
Hamer Artist Korina
Hamer SAQT GK3 loaded
Ovation Electro Acoustic
G&L S-500
Antoria Memphis 74

shawnb

KezzTCP -

I'd been experimenting with adding the nylon guitar to fix the gap in the attack.   
If you open the voice for edit, you should see it right there (2.AC NYLON). 
Switch on the MODEL to activate it.
This improves the attack, I'm more worried whether it sounds like a guitar is in there when played full volume...   (Sounds good on headphones, actually!  I'm worried about the room.)
Again, not perfect, but I think another improvement.

If you get a chance to try it, let me know what you think....

GR-55 patch rule #13: When dealing with a GR-55 latency (or other PCM) limitation, see if you can cover it up with a COSM model!

Shawn