VG Top - ZZ Top 90's onwards...

Started by Smash, January 05, 2013, 12:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smash

Not a specific track sound but just a sort of "sounds a bit like ZZ Top from the 90's onwards" type of thing.

Shamelessly based on The Creamy Les Paul VG patch.

Run straight into cubase via usb.

Control 1 (FC300 or VG) drops guitar tuning 4 semitones for Rythmeen type antics (also switches in top end EQ to compensate for detuning) and Control 2 switches in a delay on FXA just to boraden things and fill a bit.

Demo MP3 runs "Head's in Mississippi", Busking with Control 2 on, Rythmeen using Control 1, Busking using Control 1 & 2

Actually sounded duller after recording for some reason. hey ho - just tweak the living crapola out of it or stick straight in recycling bin!

Finger style and pinched harmonics all the way...

aliensporebomb

I really like this - I dig "my heads in missippi" with it's kind of grungy tones and this nails it!

Update:  Saved on my VG!
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Smash

Cool! checked your signature link out btw - very impressive mate!

papabuss

Hey smash that rocks!
GIMME ALL YOUR SHARPED DRESSED LA GRANGE.... ;D
Thx for posting.
FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

shopstartuk

Hi

I was going to try to create a GR55 version of this, I downloaded the VG99 editor and the .mid file but note that the Vg99 has two channels, 2 different guitars and amps. How do I replicate that on the GR55?
Fender Strat Plus Delux
Fender Tele 60th
Roland GR 55

papabuss

Yes, shopstartuk, you are principally right. That's one of the main differences between VG99 and GR55. I've just checked the ZZ-sound coming out of the two amps and mixer channels. Each one set with a nice PAN-setting from 0: 100 on the left and 100:0 on the right channel. You can only choose one amp in the GR55 but you can add some good Distortion PCM-Guitars (PCM-Tone from 199 to 209). So you can (if you also add your own guitar -NORMAL PICKUP) have 4 guitarsounds running simultaneniously.
In some VG99 patches you "have the luck that only one channel makes the sound". In this case it is of course easier to get the original VG-sound.
Hope I could help you in some way.
FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

mooncaine

Nice playing on that demo. Really like the sounds you dialed in. I'm a ZZ fan with a pile of VG-99 patches that try to get a sound I hear on a fave ZZ tune or two. Your patch sounds great..