Ibanez SV5470 and Roland GK3

Started by jimi123, October 19, 2011, 11:29:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimi123

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum. I'm looking forward to buying the Roland GR-55 guitar synth. I own an Ibanez guitar model Sv5470F. The problem to me is there not enough space between the tremolo and the bridge pickup. I'm wondering if somebody owns the same guitar and installed the GK3 on it without any problem.

Thank you

Brent Flash

Elantric

QuoteI own an Ibanez guitar model Sv5470F. The problem to me is there not enough space between the tremolo and the bridge pickup

Review this thread for creative ideas for mounting the GK-3 PU when there is no room between the existing bridge PU and the bridge.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=359.0

another solution is here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3434.0

posuna

Dear all,

well, I have had the same problem than Jimmi. I just bought the Roland GR55 and I wanted to install the GK3 on my Ibanez S5470FRVK. I have a Godin Multiac ACS and I had tried the GR55 on it, and found it to be inaccurate and not performing well. Everywhere in the forums, people said that the Roland GR55 is designed to work better for the GK3 than for the RMC pickups (like the one in the Godin). In any case, I bought the GR55 with the GK3 so I could have it installed in my Ibanez S5470.
I desperately found there was no clear/clean solution for that. The French guy with the solution of the modified pickup guard was about the best one could think of to solve the problem. I contacted the Ibanez workshop here to ask if they could help. they said they never installed a GK3 on such a guitar so they were a bit at a loss. Fortunately, one of the luthiers there was very helpful and told me to bring the guitar so they could find a solution (whichever it be) that would allow me to install the GK3 with as least "damage" to the guitar as possible.
The guy ended cutting himself a modified pickup guard that would allow to mount the GK3 on top of it. He did an excellent job, and I attach the -not very nice (not a criticism to the luthier ;-))- picture of the result....

Anyway, unfortunately the guy had to modify the inclination of the neck to allow for more space under the strings or otherwise they would touch the GK3 pickup. By doing this he did _not_ modify the action (which was a must for me; I love the S5470FRVK action!).

All in all, a great job I am very happy with a very greatfull (total amount: 50Euros including the modified pickup guard).

Now, got it back home, and after some days out of Spain for work I acme back and this past weekend pluged it in the Roland GR55 and..... disappointment. The thing just really does not work! :-((

It is nearly impossible to get sounds from strings 3 and 4. If you get the Grand piano sound, the sixth string plucked without any fret gives you either an E or an Eb without even touching the bridge at all! :-( Sounds are inaccurate for midi sounds (not modelling) and all in all it is impossible to make any music with that.
I have changed of course the settings in the main System panel for the GR55, the nut-pickup distance, the distance of the pickup to the string in the bridge, the nuance, etc., but without any success at all (and of course I have selected "GK3" for the pickup).

I have talked to the Luthier, and he will be happy to have a look one of the coming days, but I suspect that solutions might not be many....

Any possible hint on what the solution might be? I have to admit I am starting to be a but tired and upset with the GR55, and I have not started yet to use it on the gig, despite how much I like it when I first saw it....

Thanks a lot.
Cheers,
P.

Elantric

QuoteIt is nearly impossible to get sounds from strings 3 and 4. If you get the Grand piano sound,

The GR-55 has a known bug with the Grand Piano patch

QuoteProblem with GR-55 Lead Preset 07-1 Concert Grand  - -Sound is intermittently triggered.

Roland US Corp replied: "We have been able to reproduce this anomaly, and have reported this to Roland Japan."
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4723.0
In a few weeks we should a new GR-55 firmware update which is supposed to fix this.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5835.0

teleholic

Elantric, since the piano bug is brought up, i'd like to know specifically what it is? Is it similar to false triggers with the sax voices that can be eliminated with good technique, or can't be helped? Also, it has nothing to do with latency on the low E string right? Thanks!

Elantric

The GR-55 Grand piano bug  = random latency on the Grand Piano patch.

You pick any string and the  GR-55 Lead Preset 07-1 Concert Grand sometimes it triggers fast, other times it triggers slow with a noticeable delay, other times the notes may not trigger at all.

A False trigger is not part of this "bug" as those are typically due to playing technique, or sloppy support for a tremolo bridge, or using a piezo equipped guitar without the RMC OPT-01 input filter 

If you want a world of pain - use a stock Godin LGXT Tremolo  or Godin Freeway with a stock GR-55.

In other words - when trying to setup a fresh guitar with a new 13 pin hex pickup  - Avoid using the  GR-55 Lead Preset 07-1 Concert Grand  - -Sound is intermittently triggered.

You will be chasing your tail using GR-55 Lead Preset 07-1 Concert Grand to establish the correct setting for the GK sensitivity.

I also note a few folks used this very patch to perform their published GR-55 latency tests - Due to the known latency bug which Roland US has been able to reproduce,  those latency tests are invalid if they used the GR-55 Lead Preset 07-1 Concert Grand to measure GR-55 Latency.

teleholic

Thanks for the quick reply! I thought it was a norm for random low E string latency.. at least for me, many pcm voices have intermittent latency on the low notes when picking fast but are perfect from say the D string onwards..and my settings after months of tweaking i think are the best i can get..

Elantric

QuoteThanks for the quick reply! I thought it was a norm for random low E string latency.. at least for me, many pcm voices have intermittent latency on the low notes when picking fast but are perfect from say the D string onwards..and my settings after months of tweaking i think are the best i can get..

I agree!

I feel the GR-55 Piano "bug" occurs on other presets as well. But Roland US has only acknowledged an issue with the  GR-55 Lead Preset 07-1 Concert Grand

posuna

Hi all,

thanks for your replies. But.... the grand piano was just an example. If I play flute, for instance, I still have the same problem: false triggers, wrong notes, and 3rd and 4th strings completely unable to play. It looks more a mechanical problem than any other thing, maybe due to the ZRII Tremolo? I don't know.... Any more hints? (not specific to the piano patch...)

teleholic

yes its not specific to the piano voice only, and i suspect its the tracking of the GR-55 itself, seeing as how the axon unit is able to achieve great tracking even on the low E string..

jburns

ibanez guitars do not come intonated or properly set up out of the factory. right off the bat these seem to be intonation and string height issues. make sure your guitars are set up accurately first. if they haven't been, this will dramatically change your outcome.